Should I get the Skyrocket or the original Galaxy S2?

NegativeBeef

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes and give Barney LTE and he will blow Chuck out of the water on data speeds.

It will be like Indiana Jones watching that Muscleman with the sword go through all his moves with a sword and then Indiana pulls out a gun and shoots him dead! I'll take the bullet from a rusty gun over a sleek shiny sword any day. Do not bring a processor to a data speed fight. HSPA+ will lose to LTE every time!

It's about LTE speed, not processor speed. It is like a i7 processor on dial up versus a celeron on fios. Which do you want?

If you live in LTE area, you should go see how fast their LTE is. ATT has a android tablet at the stores now. Go check it out!

So why is data speed more important than processor speed, graphics speed...etc? And what a laughable comparison - HSPA+ is like an i7 on dailup and LTE is like a Celeron on Fios? ROFLMAO please go home....

And for all the people jizzing over LTE seems to be forgetting that the T-Mobile's GS2 is already capable of 42Mbps. Do you honestly think you're LTE will be faster than that?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
So why is data speed more important than processor speed, graphics speed...etc? And what a laughable comparison - HSPA+ is like an i7 on dailup and LTE is like a Celeron on Fios? ROFLMAO please go home....

And for all the people jizzing over LTE seems to be forgetting that the T-Mobile's GS2 is already capable of 42Mbps. Do you honestly think you're LTE will be faster than that?

You go home. I am on AT&T not T Mobile and yes the LTE will be faster. You cannot tell me there will be a very noticable difference in processing speed if any. So tell me where I will see this difference? Which app exactly?

I am not saying data is more important but it is what makes a smart phone. If data speeds are not important you would be sporting your nokia flip phone still. You will see a big difference in data speeds in LTE markets.

Read... Learn: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2393182,00.asp#fbid=VZmbzP4-yo0

***Make sure to read the statement by PC Magazine in which they say: The AT&T network averaged out with about 24Mbps downloads and peaked at 42.85Mbps, the fastest cellular connection we've ever seen.

You have apparently not seen AT&T LTE in action or you would not be making such a silly statement.

And if that is not enough... read this: GizmoFusion – Why Verizon’s LTE Network Will Have The Best In Building Coverage

AT&T LTE is also the 700 Mhz frequency...better coverage and building penetration!

Try knowing your topic in practical terms and stop spouting this theory based drivel you are reading about to make you feel beter about you phone. LTE can do 100 to 300 mbps down stream... in Theory!

Last edited:

lespaul

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
My question is this, plain and simple:

I DON'T have LTE in my area. I would LIKE a bigger screen though. HOWEVER, I do notice sometimes a lag in my ATT SG2 when going from app to app, or swiping open my home lock screen.

If I get the Skyrocket. WHERE WILL I NOTICE IT SLOWER? Lag WHERE? Running multiple apps? Lag in opening apps? Lag in gaming?

So many are saying it's an inferior processor but where PRECISELY? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm capitalizing the words of the most important parts of my questions. I truly am stuck on what direction to go as well, but there has been a lot of generalization.

titanoman

Banned
Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I live in the Dallas area and travel frequently to Houston, San Antonio and Austin for business. I bought the SGSII on launch day (Oct 2) and returned it last week because I was pretty convinced a good LTE phone was coming to AT&T in Novemember. I really want LTE if I can keep my unlimited data and the battery life is acceptable. I am in sales and cannot just plug in anytime I want.

I have seen all of the discussions back and forth on whether to return the SGSII or keep the SGSII etc. I know I want LTE so the SGSII is no longer an option. I bought a Atrix 2 off contract to have and keep as a back up. (I really like it).

I have heard in many threads that the skyrocket will be close in specs to the T mobile version of the SGSII with an LTE radio. I have read in amusment several people dismissing this phone because the processor. Tonight I went to a T Mobile store to check out their SGSII.

1. I thought the size was fine. It was a bit bigger and heavier than my Atrix 2 but felt fine in my hands and I was able to use one handed just fine.

2. The screen looked very nice. I know the resolution is 480x 800 which is the same as the ATT SGSII but on a larger screen. My Atrix 2 has a significantly higher resolution than these phones so the icons looked huge to me but I had a Captivate, so I understand the screen technology. I did not see any pixelation that would bother me. Overall no issues with the screen for me.

3. "Snappiness"- It was snappy and I did not notice any lag putting it through the screens and app drawer etc. It responded very well. (Remember, I also had the famous Exynos processor for 3 weeks) This is with the Qualcomm processor everyone is throwing under the bus right?

4. Quadrant- I downloaded and ran quadrant twice and the average was 2250. I then ran a Quadrant on my Atrix 2 which has a TI OMAP dual core and it averaged 2200. My Atrix UI is very fluid and I have no issues with lag at all. I might give a slight edge to the SGSII (which had a 3200) that I had over my Atrix 2, but certainly not enough to lose sleep over.

5. The Skyrocket will have LTE. There will be absolutely no doubt on which phone loads data faster. It will quite simply blow the SGSII out of the water on tasks like downloading/updating apps, video calls, Netflix without wifi etc.

So my question for the processor gurus out there is "what will I not be able to do with this Qualcomm processor that will keep me up at night?" I doubt I will be able to see any differences in practical performance but I have no doubt that when I show an SGSII owner the speed of the network their jaw will drop!

Of course my final test is battery life! My Atrix 2 excels here. I will wait to see the reports on battery life before grabing a skyrocket.

Am I missing somthing important in the processor debate or is it really overblown?

PS I bet my Atrix 2 gets ICS before any of the SGSII's do! lol!

Well shut my mouth. I've been saying how much better the 1.5ghz processor is, but I guess not:http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_2_tmobile-review-656.php

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Reactions: planoman

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Well shut my mouth. I've been saying how much better the 1.5ghz processor is, but I guess not:Samsung Galaxy S II T-Mobile review: A dragon's heir - GSMArena.com

Not saying the skyrocket will have a faster processor but fast enough for me! From the review you posted:

Keeping in mind that synthetic benchmarks have little to do with the way you will use your smartphone every day, we can attest that the Galaxy S II did show a miniscule amount of lag, compared to the rest of the Galaxy S II siblings. It is however, faster than anything else on the market.

The attached screen shot is AnTuTu score where "my device" is the T mobile SGSII. It does have a bit lower score than the Exynos processor but it is good enough for me! Coupled with LTE in my Hometown and State and we have a great phone!

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I just sent my SGSII back (one day within my return window). I live around DC, so one big selling point for me will be LTE. If I don't like it, I'll send it back and buy another SGSII. I don't think AT&T will have a problem with it since I've been a customer for 11 years. Right now I'm on my backup phone; my Atrix.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

titanoman

Banned
Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about the processor so much. Touchwiz 4.0 is pretty quick if you want to stick with the default launcher.

May be a dumb question, but what does the launcher have to do with the Touchwiz performance?

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Try knowing your topic in practical terms and stop spouting this theory based drivel you are reading about to make you feel beter about you phone. LTE can do 100 to 300 mbps down stream... in Theory!

LTE in a 10 MHz SISO config like what Verizon is doing and that AT&T is doing in most markets is capable of 50 Mbps theoretical performance. 300 Mbps is on 20 MHz in 4x4 MIMO.

AT&T in some markets (Chicago at least) is only on 5 MHz which would be in theory 25 Mbps.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
LTE in a 10 MHz SISO config like what Verizon is doing and that AT&T is doing in most markets is capable of 50 Mbps theoretical performance. 300 Mbps is on 20 MHz in 4x4 MIMO.

AT&T in some markets (Chicago at least) is only on 5 MHz which would be in theory 25 Mbps.

So like I said in theory, faster than HSPA+ lol! Just need some more antennas...I was trying to point out that we rarely, if ever, see the theoretical maximums. I was responding to a post that said AT&T LTE will not be faster than T mobile's HSPA+ with their 42 Mbps.

AT&T vs. Verizon: LTE, Head-to-Head | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

P.S. Are you in the Military? If so THANK YOU for your service!

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
For all of your Exynos fans dogging on the Qualcomm in the Skyrocket...

From the Slashgear hands on:

AT&T 4G LTE speed report: HTC Vivid and Samsung Skyrocket - SlashGear

An Excerpt:

Speed tests don’t always accurately measure real-world use, of course. When downloading large files with the phones’ built-in browsers, I managed about 100 megabites every minute on both. YouTube and Netflix streams began almost instantly, and most Android Market downloads were finished downloading even before the on-screen download notification timed out.

Looks like that qualcomm processor is not too much of a handicap...;)

j510

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
For all of your Exynos fans dogging on the Qualcomm in the Skyrocket...

From the Slashgear hands on:

AT&T 4G LTE speed report: HTC Vivid and Samsung Skyrocket - SlashGear

An Excerpt:

Speed tests don?t always accurately measure real-world use, of course. When downloading large files with the phones? built-in browsers, I managed about 100 megabites every minute on both. YouTube and Netflix streams began almost instantly, and most Android Market downloads were finished downloading even before the on-screen download notification timed out.

Looks like that qualcomm processor is not too much of a handicap...;)

yea but theres still lag on the UI

j510

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
lol! yes but the not on the download like the SGSII on HSPA+

Keep flipping between your screens and telling yourself you have the fastest phone...

im not saying its the fastest phone, i just prefer the original hardware better. i was considering the skyrocket but decided to pick up the OG sgsii later today

Hevroth

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
im not saying its the fastest phone, i just prefer the original hardware better. i was considering the skyrocket but decided to pick up the OG sgsii later today

To those who've decided to purchase the original GSII even after hearing about the Skyrocket, does the announcement that the Skyrocket will get ICS play into your decision? Or do you plan on putting ICS on via custom roms? I'm just curious because I'm also deciding between these two phones.

I just don't want to get an OG GSII and have it be super fast now, but noticeably slower than the Skyrocket when each of them are running ICS, based on the assumption that Exynos isn't optimized for ICS as much as Snapdragon or other processors are.

j510

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
To those who've decided to purchase the original GSII even after hearing about the Skyrocket, does the announcement that the Skyrocket will get ICS play into your decision? Or do you plan on putting ICS on via custom roms? I'm just curious because I'm also deciding between these two phones.

I just don't want to get an OG GSII and have it be super fast now, but noticeably slower than the Skyrocket when each of them are running ICS, based on the assumption that Exynos isn't optimized for ICS as much as Snapdragon or other processors are.

Got my GSII yesterday. Smooth as butter. Honestly, touchwiz 4.0 is real smooth, i could wait later on next year for ICS. I did hear it was suppose to use the processors more efficiently.

codycorexxx

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I am not going to get the Skyrocket, keeping the OG SGS2 for now. Whether or not the Qualcomm was optimized for ICS more than the Exynos, who knows. SGSII is their flagship phone, and the international one has the Exynos, so they'll optimize it for the Exynos, it'll just take longer. Cyanogenmod will have it done sooner than Samsung though lol. As for me, I am content with the OG SGS2, when I am ready for LTE, or when it's here, we'll have the SGSIII. (Or I am just dreaming.) Go with either phone, the Qualcomm is a tad slower, but if you're in an LTE market, the data speeds will make up for it. If you're always waiting for the better phone, you'll never have a phone.

Hevroth

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I am not going to get the Skyrocket, keeping the OG SGS2 for now. Whether or not the Qualcomm was optimized for ICS more than the Exynos, who knows. SGSII is their flagship phone, and the international one has the Exynos, so they'll optimize it for the Exynos, it'll just take longer. Cyanogenmod will have it done sooner than Samsung though lol. As for me, I am content with the OG SGS2, when I am ready for LTE, or when it's here, we'll have the SGSIII. (Or I am just dreaming.) Go with either phone, the Qualcomm is a tad slower, but if you're in an LTE market, the data speeds will make up for it. If you're always waiting for the better phone, you'll never have a phone.

As far as just pure speed on the phone itself (taking data completely out of the equation because I won't be getting LTE for quite some time):

Do you think there will be a night and day difference between the og gsii and the skyrocket? Or at least notable enough where it bothers you?

I want the speediest phone I can get on at&t, and again I'm talking about general use, not data because where I live at&t is quite slow, so I'm not expecting much here. I'm deciding between these two phones, but I want a really fast phone that will still feel really fast throughout the entire 2 year contract. To me, the biggest drawbacks of the og gsii are its 4.3" screen (I'm coming from a Dell Streak), and its unconfirmed ICS update. Yeah the devs will make ICS for it, but when? How fast could the guys at xda possibly get ICS on the og gsii? Q1, 2, or 3, 2012?

To me, here are some notable factors for my next smartphone:

1. speed: I want it to be fast, REALLY fast
  2. ICS: whether it's official or a custom rom, I want ICS asap. ICS multitasking beats the sh*t out of gingerbread's.
  3. size: as close as you can get to Dell Streak size before it becomes a two-handed device
  4. battery: I want it to last 15 hours, 4 hours which is actual use, the rest of it standby with my gmail/voice etc. all syncing

Do you think that by getting a skyrocket, I will be noticeably disappointed when it comes to operating speed? I really want ICS, but I just don't know how fast xda will be able to put one out, and one that's stable with exynos.

And here's another question for pondering, once ICS is developed for exynos, theoretically "optimized" for exynos, will it still technically be slower than qualcomm based on characteristics of the exynos itself? (rather than ICS compatibility for it) I'm trying to figure out if exynos is a gingerbread processor first, and would naturally be inferior at running ICS than snapdragon/omap will, after all is said and done.

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I've played with both already... I couldn't tell a difference between the UI changing between screens on either phone. In fact I didn't even know that it was slower until i read this thread! I say get the Skyrocket. When you are using it in real life you won't even remember this thread and everyone saying its got a slower operating speed. ITS STILL SUPER FAST!!

codycorexxx

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
As far as just pure speed on the phone itself (taking data completely out of the equation because I won't be getting LTE for quite some time):

Do you think there will be a night and day difference between the og gsii and the skyrocket? Or at least notable enough where it bothers you?

I want the speediest phone I can get on at&t, and again I'm talking about general use, not data because where I live at&t is quite slow, so I'm not expecting much here. I'm deciding between these two phones, but I want a really fast phone that will still feel really fast throughout the entire 2 year contract. To me, the biggest drawbacks of the og gsii are its 4.3" screen (I'm coming from a Dell Streak), and its unconfirmed ICS update. Yeah the devs will make ICS for it, but when? How fast could the guys at xda possibly get ICS on the og gsii? Q1, 2, or 3, 2012?

To me, here are some notable factors for my next smartphone:

1. speed: I want it to be fast, REALLY fast
  2. ICS: whether it's official or a custom rom, I want ICS asap. ICS multitasking beats the sh*t out of gingerbread's.
  3. size: as close as you can get to Dell Streak size before it becomes a two-handed device
  4. battery: I want it to last 15 hours, 4 hours which is actual use, the rest of it standby with my gmail/voice etc. all syncing

Do you think that by getting a skyrocket, I will be noticeably disappointed when it comes to operating speed? I really want ICS, but I just don't know how fast xda will be able to put one out, and one that's stable with exynos.

And here's another question for pondering, once ICS is developed for exynos, theoretically "optimized" for exynos, will it still technically be slower than qualcomm based on characteristics of the exynos itself? (rather than ICS compatibility for it) I'm trying to figure out if exynos is a gingerbread processor first, and would naturally be inferior at running ICS than snapdragon/omap will, after all is said and done.

I can tell you right now, that the Exynos will be faster than the OMAP, well, from a benchmark stand point. The Galaxy Nexus barely beats the OG SGSII in benchmarks, but in real world application, benchmarks mean nothing. Honestly either one are a good choice. But since you want ICS as fast as possible, I'm going out on a limb to say that the Skyrocket will get it sooner, at least officially. Cyanogenmod wise, I am not sure if the Qualcomm SoC or the Exynos will get it sooner. I can honestly say though, I don't think day to day performance differences will be at all noticeable. The one thing I am wondering though, is will the Skyrocket have terrible battery life... Qualcomm chips definitely seem to lack there. I mean your four points, the phones are 50/50. Speed & battery go to OG SGSII, and ICS & size wise go to Skyrocket. Either way I can pretty much say you won't be disappointed, as the differences are definitely not day and night.