Should I get the Skyrocket or the original Galaxy S2?

CZ Eddie

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
But since you want ICS as fast as possible, I'm going out on a limb to say that the Skyrocket will get it sooner, at least officially. Cyanogenmod wise, I am not sure if the Qualcomm SoC or the Exynos will get it sooner.

AT&T has already confirmed the Skyrocket will get ICS in the first half of 2012. It did not confirm the same thing for the OG SGII. But I'm sure it'll get it the same time or close to it.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/11/ice-cream-sandwich-samsung-galaxy-s2-skyrocket-htc-vivid-confirmed/

codycorexxx

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Stupid question, but what are the chances of Skyrocket being harder to unlock?

Shouldn't be any harder.
AT&T will provide the Unlock Code for phones on wireless plans if:
  • Your wireless service has been active for 90 days or longer
  • Your account is current and in good standing
  • Your phone is not sold exclusively by us
  • Your phone's Unlock Code is available from the Manufacturer

Though I'm not sure if it's technically "sold exclusively" by AT&T as it's basically the Hercules.

Que1999

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Listen, I myself love a 4.5 inch screen and I wish the OG GS2 had it... But there are a few things proven: The Exynos is the best thing out there RIGHT NOW, we know that these phones are upgraded all the time but for right now the Exynos is the top-of-the-line... The Mali GPU is also one of the best graphics chips out there RIGHT NOW... capable of console-quality graphics. We also know this:

""HSPA+ (21Mbps): I really consider this to be 3.5G, but some carriers like T-Mobile USA may simply call it “4G”, so keep in mind that while it is better than 3G, it is not as fast as 4G LTE (as deployed by Verizon in the US). That said, HSPA+ phones don’t use nearly as much power as today’s LTE phones when transmitting data, although things are getting slowly better. For more information, read my post about the different 4G networks."" - UberGizmo

""In the case of Operating Systems again, the three have significant differences. T-Mobile’s Galaxy S2 comes with a 1.5GHz dual core Snapdragon processor, the Sprint’s and AT&T’s version run on a 1.2GHz dual core Exynos processor. Considering the different clock speeds, the general impression is expected to be that T-Mobile’s processor is superior. However, this prejudice against the other two’s processor is completely wrong. In fact, the problem with T-Mobile’s Snapdragon processor is that it gives users an ability to take advantage of the conjectural 42Mbps speeds of its HSPA+ network, thus making the processor’s overall performance worse. Due to this, the difference in performance between the Snapdragon and the Exynos processors is insignificant.

Far from being overpowered by the Snapdragon processor, Exynos in fact gets the better of it in some areas. One such instance is in the case of the GPU’s of these processors. The Snapdragon comes with the Adreno 220 GPU, while the Exynos sports the far more superior, Mali-400 GPU. So when it comes to 3D performance, the Exynos wins every time.

As for the minor disadvantage Exynos has regarding its clock-speed, it won’t be long before the XDA developers create a custom kernel that is capable of overclocking the Exynos up to 1.5 GHz, thereby overcoming its drawbacks.""

......I was sooooo upset because I got the OG GS2 about a month ago, but I feel better now.... because in all honesty, I'm a hardware man. Not only that but I'm certain that with LTE I'll be having my speeds throttled down by AT&T anyways(rendering LTE useless) because I WILL be in the top 5% of users with data... I was last month on HSPA+. That being said they are both great phones, and you can't go wrong with either....

Last edited:

FireGuy385

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
AT&T LTE is also the 700 Mhz frequency...better coverage and building penetration!

I did not know this until now, and this is actually an important factor for me, since I get basically zero service in my apartment right outside of Boston.

I am wondering if having this building penetration feature, as well as Boston getting LTE is enough to get the Skyrocket for $250, rather than getting the SGSII for basically $0 ($100 through a price match at Best Buy and also getting a $100 GC to Best Buy, which is a current promo for their Reward Zone members).

Thoughts from you all?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I did not know this until now, and this is actually an important factor for me, since I get basically zero service in my apartment right outside of Boston.

I am wondering if having this building penetration feature, as well as Boston getting LTE is enough to get the Skyrocket for $250, rather than getting the SGSII for basically $0 ($100 through a price match at Best Buy and also getting a $100 GC to Best Buy, which is a current promo for their Reward Zone members).

Thoughts from you all?

Remember the lte is data only and it will help you get a data signal but not voice.

codycorexxx

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
As for the minor disadvantage Exynos has regarding its clock-speed, it won’t be long before the XDA developers create a custom kernel that is capable of overclocking the Exynos up to 1.5 GHz, thereby overcoming its drawbacks.

You can already overclock the Exynos to 1.6GHz lol. The kernel that comes with CM7 lets you clock to 1.6GHz, Zedomax and Entropy also have kernels that clock at 1.6GHz.

I am waiting for faster ones. I mean my Captivate is stable at 1.7GHz.

Last edited:

blopez24

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site

Thoughts from you all?

how do you get the 100 gift card? im a silver reward member

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

Thoughts from you all?

I was wondering if anyone has ever had AT&T give them an upgrade early? I am eligible for an upgrade in exactly 1 month and would love to jump on this "free" Galaxy S2 deal. Has anyone ever gotten an early upgrade? If so, how would I go about getting one?

Or am I just screwed for now and need to just hope and pray another deal comes along in a month?

blopez24

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone has ever had AT&T give them an upgrade early? I am eligible for an upgrade in exactly 1 month and would love to jump on this "free" Galaxy S2 deal. Has anyone ever gotten an early upgrade? If so, how would I go about getting one?

Or am I just screwed for now and need to just hope and pray another deal comes along in a month?

Just go in and ask if you could upgrade early, as you been a great customer, that your looking to get a new phone right now because your phone is giving you problems. Tell them you seem some great phones with the competitors have considered leaving but would rather stay with them if they could possibly give you the early upgrade.

FireGuy385

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

I've never actually tried, so I can't give any advice, but its always worth a shot.

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Just go in and ask if you could upgrade early, as you been a great customer, that your looking to get a new phone right now because your phone is giving you problems. Tell them you seem some great phones with the competitors have considered leaving but would rather stay with them if they could possibly give you the early upgrade.

Would I call AT&T to do that or do it from the store?

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I would call as they're more flexible. Ive done it before over the phone.

Well I called and they did approve an early upgrade, but only through them so the phone would cost $200. I would rather wait the 3.5 weeks until I am eligible and get it at Walmart for $150. Hopefully with the Skyrocket coming out the regular price will drop some more by then...

blopez24

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Well I called and they did approve an early upgrade, but only through them so the phone would cost $200. I would rather wait the 3.5 weeks until I am eligible and get it at Walmart for $150. Hopefully with the Skyrocket coming out the regular price will drop some more by then...

Then go to a store don't give up.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Then go to a store don't give up.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

I did, I tried going in to an AT&T store and I even went to Best Buy. AT&T notated my account to allow me to upgrade early, and when I went to the AT&T store they saw that when they looked up my account, but my official upgrade date is still December. Both the rep in the store and the one on the phone said it is simply not possible to change the upgrade date because that is calculated automatically based on the cost of your bill and when you last upgraded (this is why some people, like my boss are eligible for an upgrade every year instead of every 2, because their bill is so high...he does have to add 2 years to his contract every time though). Its also the same reason that even though my wife and I upgraded to iPhone 4's on the same day I am eligible for upgrade 3 months before her, because I am the primary line and the majority of the monthly bill is attributed to my line.

Anyway, long story short, neither Best Buy or Target or wherever can give me an upgrade either until December or until AT&T changes my official upgrade date...which I was told in person, on the phone, and on chat is impossible.

Looks like I just have to wait until December and hope another deal comes along.

I did find out some interesting information though, for AT&T upgrades just go by month, so if your upgrade date is 11-30-2011 then you were actually able to upgrade on the first of November. For people whose date is toward the end of the month this is quite beneficial. Unfortunately, my date was for the beginning of December anyway so this makes less than a week difference for me. Oh well.

trusktr

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
The skyrocket just came out here in Sacramento and its $149.99 with an upgrade at corporate ATT stores; $100 cheaper than the expected $249.99. The Rep in the store said this deal is only for north California.

blopez24

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
The skyrocket just came out here in Sacramento and its $149.99 with an upgrade at corporate ATT stores; $100 cheaper than the expected $249.99. The Rep in the store said this deal is only for north California.

He's lying to you to make you feel like you got a deal. Its 149.99 in so cal as well and in other parts from what i can tell unless you already have lte active in your city.