Should I get the Skyrocket or the original Galaxy S2?

codycorexxx

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I had the original sgs2 and then the skyrocket. These are my first android phones, was sick of dealing with apple. Dont think i will ever go back. Broad question, any apps worth dowloading that i should know about? lol. Still a "virgin" to android and debating whether i should root it or not?

Don't root just yet, do a lot of reading on how to do it and make sure you fully understand. But I will say, custom ROM's, once out for the Skyrocket, will be well worth a try!

codycorexxx

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. Rooting seems waaaay more in depth then jailbreaking. Definitely will educate myself before attempting!

Simply rooting it, is quite easy. It get's easier the longer the phone is out as well, with different methods. But don't go in blind! I read for about a month before rooting my first Android phone, the Captivate. I waited to do anything to my OG SGS2 until there was a "restore to stock" method up on XDA, just as a last resort I figured it would be in the best interest to have that.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. Rooting seems waaaay more in depth then jailbreaking. Definitely will educate myself before attempting!

Agree. I am waiting on a one click which makes it pretty simple. Did it that way for the captivate and og atrix and atrix 2. Should not be long. Over on xda, they already have root and soon the SR will have our own sub forum!

kaede177

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok its 5 O'clock and i'm at 6%, some decent usage while working so at least it didn't die.

On a fun note I have my captivate on standby, with no usage all day, 9 hours, its at 90%

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok its 5 O'clock and i'm at 6%, some decent usage while working so at least it didn't die.

On a fun note I have my captivate on standby, with no usage all day, 9 hours, its at 90%

First 3 days of my S2 were bad. Hope it improves by Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

flamacue

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
So I went to the store to try the skyrocket last night. When I was first playing with it, it was extremely slow. Almost as slow as my current Iphone 3gs! I finally noticed I only had one bar of signal. I rebooted the phone and after that it was pretty fast with full signal. I found that to be odd. Anyone else see this?

A;so where are people getting it for $149? They would not budge from the 249. I am in Baltimore, one of the new LTE markets. Wondering if I can only get the 149 in a non lte market.

Thanks

verks

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I think people need to calm down. Batteries always need a week or two to "break in" before holding an optimal charge. When I first got it, my OG SGS2 would barely last 6 hours, with 2 hours on-screen time before dying. It now lasts a full day easily.

As for the performance difference, I know the Snapdragon processor is much worse than the Exynos, but in terms of real-world use, I haven't noticed a single difference. Nothing lags on the SR. Hell, it performs better than the T-Mobile SGS2, despite having the same internals.

I agree. I had the SGS2 since launch and returned it for the SR. Almost identical. I love the SR's size and feel. I like the whites better and don't see the wash out of colors some speak of.

As far as the processor it is ever so slightly slow on quadrant but some times really scores bad at like 2500. It did score over 4100 once and just under 4000 a few times something my SGS2 never did.

I'm happy with it so far. Just waiting for the battery to perform as well as the GS2.

blazeharper

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I traded in my SGS2 for the SGS2 Skyrocket. I wanted to bigger 4.5 inch screen mostly. I notice the screen size but the speed and battery life I cannot tell a difference from the SGS2. They gave me $50 back in on the trade. ($149).

I cannot find a case for this thing. I am just not seeing them out there with the exception of ATT having some otterbox cases they say are for it, yet those cases do not show up on otter box website. If anyone knows of some places to go or specific cases for this thing throw me a bone.

This thing came with Visual Voice mail by ATT that did not come on my SGS2. I looked it up and it looks like ATT rolled it out specific to the unit. Anyway nice app but now my girlfriend is driving me batty getting this Visual Voice mail on her SGS2. Any ideas how to do that or an alternative program I can use. Not sure of the reasoning behind keeping this specific to the Skyrocket.

I read somewhere they are going to throw an ICS upgrade to the SGS2 Skyrocket. Does that mean they will also support ICS on the SGS2 ? They are not doing anyone any favors keeping the SGS2 and Skyrocket release dates so close together. Surely they would not further upset users by throwing an official ICS update to the Skyrocket and not supporting ICS on SGS2.

Thanks for any reply to these issues.

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Anyone had luck convincing them to give you the $149 price even if you don't live in the "specified areas" that are supposed to get that price?

I am really thinking about getting the Skyrocket instead because of the bigger screen, apparent "first dibs" on an ICS update, and evidently it is faster even when just in 3G and 3G+ areas.

What does everyone else think?

Dranakin

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
This thing came with Visual Voice mail by ATT that did not come on my SGS2. I looked it up and it looks like ATT rolled it out specific to the unit. Anyway nice app but now my girlfriend is driving me batty getting this Visual Voice mail on her SGS2. Any ideas how to do that or an alternative program I can use. Not sure of the reasoning behind keeping this specific to the Skyrocket.

She can use Google Voice. The app integrates well into Android, so it'll perform all of the forwarding functions for you once you set it up.

bgapfire

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Anyone had luck convincing them to give you the $149 price even if you don't live in the "specified areas" that are supposed to get that price?

I am really thinking about getting the
Skyrocket instead because of the bigger screen, apparent "first dibs" on an ICS update, and evidently it is faster even when just in 3G and 3G+ areas.

What does everyone else think?

I just picked up the SR from my local AT&T and they did not want to give me the $149.99 price. I was patient. I showed them the web blogs and pictures of the phone for $149 and the asst manager gave in. She did advise the rest of the store that the price varies from store to store. If you're patient, you just may get it at that price. I'm in NC.

bwil18

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I picked mine up as well for the bigger screen and "hopefully" faster upgrade to ICS. I have had no problems with mine as of yet. But i do live houston so i have the 4G LTE, very fast. Got mine for 149 as well, and they gave me 50 bucks back for the trade in of my SGSII....first time i have ever got money back from ATT

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up the SR from my local AT&T and they did not want to give me the $149.99 price. I was patient. I showed them the web blogs and pictures of the phone for $149 and the asst manager gave in. She did advise the rest of the store that the price varies from store to store. If you're patient, you just may get it at that price. I'm in NC.

They told me I could have gotten the $149 price but as I was upgrading a month early they said I couldn't. I just have to wait and see if the deal is still going come December 1st.

I am so torn on what to get though. I definitely want the Galaxy Nexus if it comes to AT&T, but I don't know whether to get the Galaxy S2 or the Skyrocket if the Nexus doesn't become available. I like the bigger screen, visual voicemail, rumored first ICS update, and faster network of the Skyrocket, but I would prefer the processor and GPU of the original. I don't game that much, but I just know that the Mali-400 is supposed to be the best GPU in any smartphone.

Anyone that wants to chime in on this (again) feel free! There are just so many mixed reviews. Some people are saying the Skyrocket is every bit as smooth as the original SGS2 while others are saying it is considerably more laggy than the original.

artofdesign

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
My experience the sky rocket has been incredibly fast. Besides inside the music player I've seen absolute 0 lag or issues. My last phone was the infuse.

charveldude

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Anyone in greater Washington DC gotten the Skyrocket yet? I'm strongly considering moving to Verizon, and only glowing reviews of the Skyrocket and AT&T's LTE service in the DC area could convince me not to switch. The AT&T 3G service around here certainly leaves a lot to be desired.

trusktr

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Got my new skyrocket yesterday, and so far no complaints. Agreed, you can definitely tell a difference in the resolution compared to the sgs2. Hands down it is faster obviously. Hopefully I dont run into any of the problems i have read on here so far!

You should get "Jorte" for your calendar and "Llama" for managing your sound profiles. You should also get "IOU" for keeping track of expenses and balances. If you need a calculator, "Arity" is the best. If you want a voice controller app like iPhone's Siri, try "Iris", "SpeakToIt Assistant", and "Jeannie" and see which you like best. If you tell me what you will be using your phone for the most maybe I can think of other apps. XD

Reactions: bwil18

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463