Should I get the Skyrocket or the original Galaxy S2?

Shermdiggity

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
My experience with the Skyrocket

So, I was second in line on October 2nd to get the SGSII when it came out at AT&T. I absolutely loved the phone. Screen is beautiful, snappy and intuitive UI, ton of storage, yada yada yada. I was completely content and happy with the phone I'd waited 6 months to buy. Then AT&T decided to launch the SGSII Skyrocket....which was basically intended to be the SII with LTE.

I read as much as I could in these forums, other sites, reviews on Engadget, PC Mag, Phonearena, Mobile Tech, etc. etc because I was concerned about 3 things: 1) Impact of Qualcomm processor vs. Exynos 2) Battery Life and 3) Screen size with the same resolution. In general, the reviews stated that even though the Exynos processor tends to score better on most tests than the Qualcomm Snapdragon S3, it is unlikely that you would be able to tell the difference in everyday use.

So, I went to AT&T and bought the Skyrocket, so that I would be covered with an LTE option whenever my city gets it. Once I got home, I spent hours configuring, downloading apps, customizing my home screen and panels and just using it like I used to use my SII. It became clear very, very quickly to me that I do notice the Qualcomm processor chipset compared to the standard Exynos SoC. I'm not saying the Snapdragon S3 is awful, but after using my SII with the Exynos for a month, I could immediately tell the difference. Things just weren't as snappy, crisp, and fluid. Screen transitions weren't as smooth, I often noticed a stutter when apps closed, and it just seemed slower than what I had become accustomed to feeling. For lack of a better way of saying it, the phone just felt "bloated" to me. It felt outsized for what was under the hood to me. I even did Quandrant tests and they were pretty good...often in the 3000-3100 range.....but the everyday usage was not the same.

The phone was not bad at all, do not get me wrong....I was just very disappointed after falling in love with the experience of the original SGSII. If I had purchased this phone first I probably would have been fine.

Here is my advice:
1) If you have not bought a SGSII but are looking to get a phone with similar specs and are concerned with LTE, get the Skyrocket
2) If you currently have the SGSII and tend to notice/care about technical details, don't buy the Skyrocket. My personal opinion is that you'll be able to tell the difference and it will drive you crazy.
3) If you have an upgrade available and haven't purchased either, go with the Skyrocket first. That way you are covered if LTE comes to your city and you don't build a preconceived idea of what the SII will feel like.....if for some reason you don't like it, you can always return and get the SII....the difference in price will pay for the restocking fee AT&T charges you.

I returned my Skyrocket and now I have my SII again. I'm a happy camper.

Reactions: chmcke01

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
One other difference between the two I've noticed is the skyrocket charges a hell of alot faster than the OG SII.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII LTE using tapatalk.

trusktr

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
My experience with the Skyrocket

So, I was second in line on October 2nd to get the SGSII when it came out at AT&T. I absolutely loved the phone. Screen is beautiful, snappy and intuitive UI, ton of storage, yada yada yada. I was completely content and happy with the phone I'd waited 6 months to buy. Then AT&T decided to launch the SGSII Skyrocket....which was basically intended to be the SII with LTE.

I read as much as I could in these forums, other sites, reviews on Engadget, PC Mag, Phonearena, Mobile Tech, etc. etc because I was concerned about 3 things: 1) Impact of Qualcomm processor vs. Exynos 2) Battery Life and 3) Screen size with the same resolution. In general, the reviews stated that even though the Exynos processor tends to score better on most tests than the Qualcomm Snapdragon S3, it is unlikely that you would be able to tell the difference in everyday use.

So, I went to AT&T and bought the Skyrocket, so that I would be covered with an LTE option whenever my city gets it. Once I got home, I spent hours configuring, downloading apps, customizing my home screen and panels and just using it like I used to use my SII. It became clear very, very quickly to me that I do notice the Qualcomm processor chipset compared to the standard Exynos SoC. I'm not saying the Snapdragon S3 is awful, but after using my SII with the Exynos for a month, I could immediately tell the difference. Things just weren't as snappy, crisp, and fluid. Screen transitions weren't as smooth, I often noticed a stutter when apps closed, and it just seemed slower than what I had become accustomed to feeling. For lack of a better way of saying it, the phone just felt "bloated" to me. It felt outsized for what was under the hood to me. I even did Quandrant tests and they were pretty good...often in the 3000-3100 range.....but the everyday usage was not the same.

The phone was not bad at all, do not get me wrong....I was just very disappointed after falling in love with the experience of the original SGSII. If I had purchased this phone first I probably would have been fine.

Here is my advice:
1) If you have not bought a SGSII but are looking to get a phone with similar specs and are concerned with LTE, get the Skyrocket
2) If you currently have the SGSII and tend to notice/care about technical details, don't buy the Skyrocket. My personal opinion is that you'll be able to tell the difference and it will drive you crazy.
3) If you have an upgrade available and haven't purchased either, go with the Skyrocket first. That way you are covered if LTE comes to your city and you don't build a preconceived idea of what the SII will feel like.....if for some reason you don't like it, you can always return and get the SII....the difference in price will pay for the restocking fee AT&T charges you.

I returned my Skyrocket and now I have my SII again. I'm a happy camper.

Wow, well said Shermdiggity. That's exactly how I felt.

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Exynos is not compatible with LTE. That's why they did it. I read that in some other thread here.

I think any perceived lag will be fixed by the hardware integration with ICS, which is confirmed for Q1 2012. The Galaxy Nexus has a slower processor, but the reviewers are saying it is wicked fast (Verge).

Last edited:

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Or you can buy from Best Buy (w/ price matching) and not have to pay a restocking fee.

For example, if I was to upgrade to the SGS2 in early December at Best Buy, would I only be able to exchange the phone or would I be able to just completely undo the upgrade?

I ask because I really want the Galaxy Nexus but I only have two chances of getting it:

1 - if it comes subsidized to AT&T as an upgrade
2 - if I can upgrade to an iPhone 4S and then sell it, then sell my iPhone 4 and have enough money (after reimbursing myself for what I spent on the iPhone 4S) to buy a Galaxy Nexus unsubsidized. In other words, I would have to be able to sell my iPhone 4 and my upgrade device for enough to get one with ZERO out of pocket expense.

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
For example, if I was to upgrade to the SGS2 in early December at Best Buy, would I only be able to exchange the phone or would I be able to just completely undo the upgrade?

I ask because I really want the Galaxy Nexus but I only have two chances of getting it:

1 - if it comes subsidized to AT&T as an upgrade
2 - if I can upgrade to an iPhone 4S and then sell it, then sell my iPhone 4 and have enough money (after reimbursing myself for what I spent on the iPhone 4S) to buy a Galaxy Nexus unsubsidized. In other words, I would have to be able to sell my iPhone 4 and my upgrade device for enough to get one with ZERO out of pocket expense.
You should be able to undo the upgrade. I'd call AT& T to make sure. Based upon what I've read, AT&T will not get the Galaxy Nexus this year. Your plan sounds good. I'm going international too. The bad thing is, that currently, only the 16 GB available model is available on GSM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

Your status will return to exactly how it was before you bought the phone. So you will be eligible for an upgrade again. I asked the Best Buy rep when I bought my phone cuz I was thinking the exact same thing before I realized the Nexus wasn't coming out on ATT this century.

Reactions: Tom S.

berrygood909

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
This is a predicament I am in. I love the SGSII for ergonomics alone. It is the perfect size. It fits well in my hands and i have big hands. I did not like the way the SKYROCKET felt in my hand. I know I won't like probably phone as large as 4.5 inches. I know that there will be a top of the line phone that will a 4-4.3 inches from Samsung (or whomever when I am eligible for my next upgrade) that will be 4G. I played with the SGSII for an hour one day and then a week later for another half hour. Yesterday, I was able to test out the SkyRocket for a shorter amount of time compared the SGSII side to side. The LTE is faster at loading videos and websites.
Also, one thing was important to me was the time it took to find the location. I saw in a video that was a problem for they Skyrocket. And it actually had a problem on the test unit I played with. I am city person and don't drive that much but finding the location is still important. Actually probably more important if I am walking down the street and need to find and ATM,store or do any search by location while on the train or bus. I don't ever see myself watching movies but I do alot of searching on my phone and 4G is significantly faster.

I have never been itching to get out of my contracts for a new phone and the SGSII would make me happy to keep it for longer than 24 months. So, that is why it is a struggle for me. Do I want a 4G for 2+ years for everyday use to look up things on the internet significantly faster. Or having a phone that I can grip and hold in my hand comfortably for 2+ years or even 18 months. The website and movie may load faster but if I don't like holding the phone to watch the entire video or browse that faster loading website for a long time then the benefits of 4G may not be a good thing. I may have answered my own question..SGSII it is. I can switch to a 4.3 inch 4G phone in 18-24 months. I know Samsung will make one. My current phone is a Blackberry on EDGE that I have had for 28 months. So the 3G and the phone it self will be a major upgrade in itself. I take it when it drops to $50 or less on amazon within 2 months (I hope).

kaede177

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I was like you on debating which one to get but i took a chance with skyrocket and don't regret it one bit. loading time is a bigger joy than i expected and I'm not even on lte yet.
The screen size was also my number one concern. I really, really wanted the 4.3, after owning the phone for a couple days i didn't even notice it anymore. anytime i think back to what am i missing from the sgiithere's really nothing. But if i had gotten the 4.3 i would always feel like I'm missing out on something possibly better, since skyrocket will eventually have lte for me next year. Now it seems silly to me that i had spent so much time agonizing over screen size, which is kind of a good complaint to have. That's my take on it.

radman202

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Here is something I can't believe anyone has commented on. When in 4G LTE, according to att, you can't surf the web and be on the phone. that is the big advantage of ATT over verizon. Not anymore. Anyone noticed this?

dwboston

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Here is something I can't believe anyone has commented on. When in 4G LTE, according to att, you can't surf the web and be on the phone. that is the big advantage of ATT over verizon. Not anymore. Anyone noticed this?

Do you have a source for that? It doesn't seem to make sense since AT&T isn't using LTE for voice right now.

Sedn

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site

You may not be able to browse at LTE speeds but I am definitely getting hspa and am able to browse the net while on the phone.

radman202

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
The att customer service person was quite adamant that this was the case whenever on LTE.she said it was ok with regular.is she wrong?

Sedn

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
The att customer service person was quite adamant that this was the case whenever on LTE.she said it was ok with regular.is she wrong?
I believe she is slightly misinformed. After calling my sister in an LTE area, I then watched a YouTube clip. I was able to stream the video and chat simultaneously. The only thing I noticed is that's the lte icon disappeared. However the 4g icon remained.

radman202

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
After seeing all the arguments:

I switched from the gs 2 to skyrocket and

No perceptible difference in processing speed.

The 4g is a huge difference. Seems as fast as wifi. Don't even turn on wifi anymore.

Battery is much better. Drains slower.the big differences is that it charges MUCH faster.

I an thrilled I made the switch