06-19-2012 02:13 AM
144 12345 ...
tools
    New Android user here. I have my Skyrocket rooted and removed all the necessary bloatware. I have previously been an iPhone user for the past 4 years. With the iPhone, I was getting at least a day and a half with heavy to moderate use, more if I didn't use my phone heavily. Not once have I ever complained about battery life.

I can't believe that we as Android users are happy to get half a day (12 hours) of use. I am not trying to hate but this should not be the case anymore. The main problem here is that while Android is a great operating system, Android sucks at battery management. For people who need the phone for business, I should not have to feel lucky if the phone lasts me 8-10 hours between charges.

Go to any iPhone forum and it is rare that you get constant battery related issues, even then, it is due to a bad battery to begin with and not with how the user uses the phone. Compare that with Android forums, every other thread is about how to extend the battery life because it just doesn't last. I know many Android users who have extended batteries or even bring spares with them to make the phone last the day. If I compared that to how many people that have the mophie juice pack for their iPhones; well, it's rare.

The Android team needs to fix this issue because no matter how much I can make the OS work for me, it practically useless if I can't use it on a day to day basis because the phone keeps dying.

/end rant
    acles003 likes this.
    12-12-2011 02:55 AM
    I just got the Skyrocket on Friday and I'm happy to report great battery life. I get a good day & a half. As of now my phone has been off the charger for 15.5 hours and i'm only down to 29%. Pretty good if you ask me.
    12-12-2011 03:07 AM
    New Android user here. I have my Skyrocket rooted and removed all the necessary bloatware. I have previously been an iPhone user for the past 4 years. With the iPhone, I was getting at least a day and a half with heavy to moderate use, more if I didn't use my phone heavily. Not once have I ever complained about battery life.

I can't believe that we as Android users are happy to get half a day (12 hours) of use. I am not trying to hate but this should not be the case anymore. The main problem here is that while Android is a great operating system, Android sucks at battery management. For people who need the phone for business, I should not have to feel lucky if the phone lasts me 8-10 hours between charges.

Go to any iPhone forum and it is rare that you get constant battery related issues, even then, it is due to a bad battery to begin with and not with how the user uses the phone. Compare that with Android forums, every other thread is about how to extend the battery life because it just doesn't last. I know many Android users who have extended batteries or even bring spares with them to make the phone last the day. If I compared that to how many people that have the mophie juice pack for their iPhones; well, it's rare.

The Android team needs to fix this issue because no matter how much I can make the OS work for me, it practically useless if I can't use it on a day to day basis because the phone keeps dying.

/end rant
    As much as I hate to agree, I do. The ONLY thing I miss about my Blackberry Storm from 2008 is how an OTA basically doubled its battery life. 12 hours should not be something we celebrate, yet we do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    12-12-2011 03:35 AM
    Definitely agree with you guys....i'm returning my skyrocket next week. used to be an iphone 3gs user and getting 10-11 hours from 100% to 0% is ridiculous.

if you have a desk job and can leave the phone charging all day this is fine i guess but for those of us who are on the go for 12+ hours everyday this phone is not for you.

i heard the galaxy s2 (att version, hspa+ only) has better battery life but i'm probably going to get the iphone 4s instead
    12-12-2011 07:09 AM
    I just replaced mine and installed everything back except activesync and am getting wonderful battery life now. I don't expect this thing to get as good or better than an iphone because it isn't an iphone. Much better imo

12-12-2011 07:39 AM
    Why are we still having these discussions? You are comparing a Prius to a (insert sports car of choice). A 3.5 inch screen and hspa compared to 4.5 lte phone and you are trying to compare the battery life? If you want iPhone battery life, get an iPhone. If anything the SR has better battery life than many expected having an lte radio. Wait till iPhone FINALLY gets a larger screen and lte then we will compare. IPhone gives you a tiny screen and calls it power management...the SR screen is almost 30% larger!

Sorry for the rant back.
    jsarino likes this.
    12-12-2011 07:40 AM
    Why are we still having these discussions? You are comparing a Prius to a (insert sports car of choice). A 3.5 inch screen and hspa compared to 4.5 lte phone and you are trying to compare the battery life? If you want iPhone battery life, get an iPhone. If anything the SR has better battery life than many expected having an lte radio. Wait till iPhone FINALLY gets a larger screen and lte then we will compare. IPhone gives you a tiny screen and calls it power management...the SR screen is almost 30% larger!

Sorry for the rant back.
    Excellent point, and I was speaking to Android in general. The Skyrocket specifically has good battery life considering the screen size. Its better than my HTC Thunderbolt I had.

12-12-2011 08:29 AM

Sorry for the rant back.
    okay my response- i do not have LTE in my market and i'm on wi-fi all the time with no background processes running except push gmail and google calendar sync with 2 accounts which i had on my iphone as well. so the battery life should be similar because LTE is not a factor nor are any background apps in this situation. also, i'm rooted with bloatware frozen on stock ROM.

also, i'm not sure exactly how battery physics works but the iphone 4s has ~1400 mah battery whereas the SR has 1850. that is roughly 30% bigger in terms of mah size but again, correct me if i'm wrong this should compensate for the larger screen which is pushing less pixels than the iphone's smaller screen.

EDIT: and i may add this is comparing my SR battery life to a 2 year-old iphone 3gs. SR never has BT or GPS on because i've found this totally kills battery life whereas i always leave BT and GPS on in my iphone. also, no widgets or anything on SR at all to keep it as close to iphone as possible.....
    12-12-2011 09:21 AM
    My iPhone 4 usually last 7 - 9 hours under moderate-heavy usage. It would last the work day. When I had my iPhone 3gs it lasted 6-7 hours when streaming music and checking FB every few minutes.

I believe the reasons why people talk about extended battery life so much is because the option exists to take advantage of it when you are not on an apple locked down device. Also the battery life is an issue that must be taken care of by each manufacturer, so we must be careful to not blame the general concept of android.
    jsarino likes this.
    12-12-2011 10:55 AM
    I'd agree with Sedn on this one. My wife's iPhone 3gs, which had heavy call and data usage (1-2gig/month typically) would range from 7-10 hours. So, battery life is all relative to how much a person uses their phone (or configure it for that matter), and to the device's specs, regardless if it's an Apple, Android, Windows, RIM, or otherwise. Keep in mind too that since Android phones are modifiable, any changes will alter battery life for the better, or worse.

For an LTE-powered phone with a large screen, my SR still can go through nearly a full day, which is better than my Nexus One could do on a good day (10 hours, if I'm lucky).
    12-12-2011 12:22 PM
    My days have been up and down with battery life living in an LTE market. After two consecutive days of low-to-medium usage and hitting 15% by noon (having unplugged at 6:30AM) I downloaded JuiceDefender, and can last the entire day on low-to-medium usage, and still have 30% leftover by the time I go to charge at night.

I believe the up and down battery life has to do with switching between LTE and HSPA+. When I'm at work, my signal is pretty bad being towards the middle of a building. After loading up JuiceDefender (it basically manages your radio/data activity when the phone is locked), I've gotten it to a perfectly acceptable state.

I'm also an ex iPhone 3G/iPhone 4 user and am more than willing to give up decent battery life for a bigger screen and LTE. The only complaints I've had are little bugs that I attribute to the nature of Android's OS (Camera app fails periodically and requires a reboot of the phone, only once have I had the battery report 100% for a few hours before I noticed and had to reboot), but that's all minor. Both OS's have their positives and negatives.
    12-12-2011 02:02 PM
    11 hours and at 49%. Not to bad for the type of phone. I do watch what I keep on though.

12-12-2011 06:39 PM

Sorry for the rant back.
    I do not think I am comparing a Prius to a (your choice of a sports car) here. My Android is set up with no widgets on the home pages, GPS and WiFI turned on, and bloatware removed; just like how I had my iPhone set up. No more, no less.

I live in a non-LTE area, both the iPhone and SR are on HSPA+ which makes LTE not an issue in terms of battery drain. The only thing I was unable to compare was obviously screen size. I do know having a bigger screen does require more juice, but a 3.5 inch to a 4.5 inch should not make a big difference in battery usage. If anything, it should take away an hour or two at most of battery life. Yet sill the SR can't compete.

So the point you were trying to make in terms of LTE vs HSPA+ doesn't apply here. I agree that the larger screen does use more battery so we do agree there. I like using Android. Comparing iOS to Android is like Apples and Oranges so I will not be doing that. I'm just saying that while Android is a great OS, it still lacks in the battery management department which hopefully Google can fix. Again, we as Android users should not be celebrating that a user can use their phone heavily for only 8-10 hours. It may not be a big deal to most, but for people like me who work in television production, I do not always have access to a charger.
    12-12-2011 07:20 PM
    okay my response- i do not have LTE in my market and i'm on wi-fi all the time with no background processes running except push gmail and google calendar sync with 2 accounts which i had on my iphone as well. so the battery life should be similar because LTE is not a factor nor are any background apps in this situation. also, i'm rooted with bloatware frozen on stock ROM.

also, i'm not sure exactly how battery physics works but the iphone 4s has ~1400 mah battery whereas the SR has 1850. that is roughly 30% bigger in terms of mah size but again, correct me if i'm wrong this should compensate for the larger screen which is pushing less pixels than the iphone's smaller screen.

EDIT: and i may add this is comparing my SR battery life to a 2 year-old iphone 3gs. SR never has BT or GPS on because i've found this totally kills battery life whereas i always leave BT and GPS on in my iphone. also, no widgets or anything on SR at all to keep it as close to iphone as possible.....

Did not mean to start a debate. The SR battery works for me and my usage. If not for you, I completely understand why you would want a phone that does work for you. No explanation needed. My screen is better for me to look at regardless of pixel being pushed. Good Luck!
    12-12-2011 07:45 PM
    I do not think I am comparing a Prius to a (your choice of a sports car) here. My Android is set up with no widgets on the home pages, GPS and WiFI turned on, and bloatware removed; just like how I had my iPhone set up. No more, no less.

I live in a non-LTE area, both the iPhone and SR are on HSPA+ which makes LTE not an issue in terms of battery drain. The only thing I was unable to compare was obviously screen size. I do know having a bigger screen does require more juice, but a 3.5 inch to a 4.5 inch should not make a big difference in battery usage. If anything, it should take away an hour or two at most of battery life. Yet sill the SR can't compete.

So the point you were trying to make in terms of LTE vs HSPA+ doesn't apply here. I agree that the larger screen does use more battery so we do agree there. I like using Android. Comparing iOS to Android is like Apples and Oranges so I will not be doing that. I'm just saying that while Android is a great OS, it still lacks in the battery management department which hopefully Google can fix. Again, we as Android users should not be celebrating that a user can use their phone heavily for only 8-10 hours. It may not be a big deal to most, but for people like me who work in television production, I do not always have access to a charger.
    I was referring to my phone being a sports car! I routinely get in excess of 50mbps down and 12+ up where I live. That my friend, is a sports car! I think battery life depends on usage. I get 12-14 hours every day on my phone so it works for me in LTE. Your mileage may vary. I do believe that generally speaking iphones have better battery life and I think that is apparent without much research. I was just commenting that this is fairly common knowledge, and then a few jabs at the iphone... Not that it matters, but I am sales manager which a large Region so I understand about not being able to charge at a desk.

Did not really mean to start a debate. I really feared the battery life on LTE after seeing my friends on Verizon with LTE and I have been pleasantly surprised by the battery life on the SR. There are options like extra batteries etc. Hopefully you will get LTE soon and then really experience what the SR has to offer!
    12-12-2011 08:01 PM
    11 hours and at 49%. Not to bad for the type of phone. I do watch what I keep on though.

How are you managing that?

12-12-2011 08:08 PM
    I just got 18.5 hours out of the battery. 3-4 phone calls that lasted 25 min. each, Data usage of apps & web = 75% on Wi-Fi and 25% on HSPA+. I'm pretty happy with that. I can imagine the more I would use data on HSPA+ that battery would drain quicker but Wi-Fi seems to preserve battery. I have Wi-Fi at home and work so that will help greatly.
    12-13-2011 05:55 AM
    How are you managing that?

Turn off wifi and gps unless need and reduced brightness to 50%. I also stopped using the stock email activesync and switched to using the standard hotmail app. I also don't use any weather widgets or constantly syncing apps. From my experience the stock activesync function seemed to be the biggest power eating function that I had.

12-13-2011 06:55 AM
    Turn off wifi and gps unless need and reduced brightness to 50%. I also stopped using the stock email activesync and switched to using the standard hotmail app. I also don't use any weather widgets or constantly syncing apps. From my experience the stock activesync function seemed to be the biggest power eating function that I had.

I use the stock activesync but I just extend the sync frequency. This will increase battery life. For instance I have a Beautiful Weather Widget running but I have the weather update only every 4 hours instead of 1 hour or sooner like most people do. If I want an update in between the 4 hours I can do it manually. Also I changed my Facebook update to every 4 hours as well. That's the max too. Only other syncing thing I have is Gmail.
    12-13-2011 10:35 AM
    I'm sitting here at 31 hours on the same charge, with about 4 hours to go (9%). Either I'm a really light user, our my phone is being very efficient

12-29-2011 11:20 AM
    my battery runs down very fast. it is hard to run down which apps are responsible
    12-29-2011 11:28 AM
    any opinions on easy battery saver app

i had it but it was confusing if continue to use the power saving mode the phone comes with also,

and now im having this issue with the MMS message not being sent or recieved

sigh, wheres my iphone 3 g, my love
    12-29-2011 12:46 PM
    I'm sitting here at 31 hours on the same charge, with about 4 hours to go (9%). Either I'm a really light user, our my phone is being very efficient

could you please tell us the display time? I'm not complaining either about the battery. I think its great for an LTE phone plus I always carry a spare one with me.
    12-29-2011 12:54 PM
    could you please tell us the display time? I'm not complaining either about the battery. I think its great for an LTE phone plus I always carry a spare one with me.
    Damn, probably should've looked at that. I have just recharged mine just now, so display time is back to the beginning. I can check thru this new charge and see what I get.

dalvik likes this.
    12-29-2011 01:45 PM
    Damn, probably should've looked at that. I have just recharged mine just now, so display time is back to the beginning. I can check thru this new charge and see what I get.

yeah you probably almost didnt use it for the past 30 hrs. i am sure i'd get the same results. also i noticed that if the phone is occasionally being charged throughout a day for just a few minutes it doesnt reset the system battery and display time. it showed me 25 hrs once when i clearly remembered i plugged it on charge earlier
    12-29-2011 02:22 PM
144 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD