How is the battery life on the skyrocket?

s3ntrax

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
so on the face of that, it doesn't make sense. This phone can't do that. The battery isn't even advertised to be that robust. Either you are fibbing, they slipped a beta test high capacity battery in your phone, or the rest of us all have a battery draining virus.

The screen is such a huge drain that you can't have it on for playing videos etc all day and not drain the battery. I love the phone but don't know what to do with posts like this that really don't make sense.

I totally agree, my stock phone wasn't no way close to what he says

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

s3ntrax

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Btw today I got the battery widget pro, very nice app, it shows you Everything like what app is draining the battery and how much of it and some other useful features. It showed me that out of all the things I do on my phone, the screen ate 50 % of the battery

cajunlte

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Outside of using CPU Spy to find the culprit that would prevent the phone from going into deep sleep. Are there any apps that monitor and report on problem apps that cause the phone to not enter deep sleep? I had to manually figure out that Facebook and I think QIK were the 2 that never allow the phone to deep sleep. Now with general use I only lose about 10% every 3 hours or so. Sitting at 86% with 3h54m shown on battery.,

chippy19977

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
It would have that feature but AT&T removed that option from their ROM. So the stock ROM doesn't have that feature but Juice Defender does have some kind of an option to install something that supposedly would enable it. It says thats its highly experimental and that you should do a backup of your whole phone in case something goes wrong and you need to restore it. I haven't tried that feature yet.

Just to clarify, Juice Defender Ultimate doesn't have an option to shut off LTE and leave 3G on. Unless that's not what you're saying? The only thing that I see it does is disable data altogether depending on the settings you select. But it won't toggle from LTE to 3G and back. It's either data, or no data. Are you talking about an add-on app that would do this?

s3ntrax

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Just to clarify, Juice Defender Ultimate doesn't have an option to shut off LTE and leave 3G on. Unless that's not what you're saying? The only thing that I see it does is disable data altogether depending on the settings you select. But it won't toggle from LTE to 3G and back. It's either data, or no data. Are you talking about an add-on app that would do this?

Yes it does
Here is a screen shot from my phone
c6e4c89b-8f09-311d.jpg

djxpress

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Looks like you're using Juice Defender Beta. I have JD Ultimate and it's not an option.

I have JD Ultimate as well. I think this is an option after you enable the "Advanced" setting. JD shows some disclaimer about it possibly wrecking the phone though, so I haven't enabled it.

BTW with JD I get at least double battery life. I unplug my battery around 5 am. By 8 pm, I still have at least 30-40% battery left. This is with sync disabled, auto-dim screen, and light use consisting of web browsing, using a few apps, browsing the Market, and a few downloads, etc.

Altarocks

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
This being my first Android device, I kind of expected brutal battery life. That's pretty much what I'm getting, mainly due to that big beautiful screen. I installed JD and it did help, but no way do I make thru a full day of my normal use. Its not fun always planning your device use to avoid a dead battery. Instead of disabling much of the very experience I moved to an Android for I bought an external battery pack. Cheap, easy, and frees my mind from worry. Plus, it will work for my tablet.

Nomad696

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm down 2 weeks with my skyrocket, the battery went through a few cycles...sync is turned off, I constantly kill background apps, I also use the JD Ultimate on extreme. Today I went through roughly 80% of the charge from 8am to 5 pm with light/moderate usage. I have little to none phone calls, a few google searches a day,little to none web browsing, I do use a texting app that uses internet but I can't say that I use it too much...according to the phone the app uses about 10% of the battery, the displays eats 43-45%(while brightness it at approx. 5-10%) .I don't watch videos or use the phone for music or games(maybe 30 mins of gaming some days but not today) Right now I'm 11h 30m on battery and have 17% left. Is it normal? By now the battery should have "broke-in". And with all that effort to save power with JD and the original power-saving mode(from 50%) I feel it should be a few hours more...I live in a 4G LTE area btw.
EDIT: From those 11h30m the phone was idle for 8h20m...

Last edited:

Aceroller

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm down 2 weeks with my skyrocket, the battery went through a few cycles...sync is turned off, I constantly kill background apps, I also use the JD Ultimate on extreme. Today I went through roughly 80% of the charge from 8am to 5 pm with light/moderate usage. I have little to none phone calls, a few google searches a day,little to none web browsing, I do use a texting app that uses internet but I can't say that I use it too much...according to the phone the app uses about 10% of the battery, the displays eats 43-45%(while brightness it at approx. 5-10%) .I don't watch videos or use the phone for music or games(maybe 30 mins of gaming some days but not today) Right now I'm 11h 30m on battery and have 17% left. Is it normal? By now the battery should have "broke-in". And with all that effort to save power with JD and the original power-saving mode(from 50%) I feel it should be a few hours more...I live in a 4G LTE area btw.

I get this, and I am in a non-LTE area. I think the above is very good for a LTE area. I was in one a couple of weeks ago and I was down to 30% within about 5 hrs.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm down 2 weeks with my skyrocket, the battery went through a few cycles...sync is turned off, I constantly kill background apps, I also use the JD Ultimate on extreme.
why on earth would you do that?.... what do you mean killing background apps? are you sure you are killing just apps (even though its not needed at all) or perhaps you are killing services too? I live in an LTE area and my phone lasts me usualy over one full day and a few more hours before it hits like 20 - 17% and that is with moderate to light use with screen time for about 1hr or 1 hr 30 mins. and i don't kill any apps and of course never used JD. I think you are actually doing more harm to your phone's battery life by "constantly" killing apps (i'm guessing services) as they try to reactivate themselves just to be killed again that drains the battery. Modern android and iOS devices (i'm sure windows phone too) do not require any task managers or contant app killing. When you minimize an app it gets cached in the memory and Does NOT consume ANY processing power until being used again. unless its a service that is running on the background or an app like weather or facebook or email that periodically connects to internet to update itself. and even then those apps dont consume that much battery. Remove all task killers and JD and whatever else you got there, activate sync again and also check your OS build version if it is 2.3.5 update to 2.3.6, latest build has significantly improved the battery life on my phone. ....
Edit: cycling the battery damages it. you can google this and you'll find lots of articles about it.

Last edited:

Nomad696

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I only kill apps such as email, weather etc cause they sometimes tend to eat data...i'm on latest build(2.3.6) I know about the damage if you always run down your charge to the ground...i just did it a couple times when i just bought the phone to "brake-in" the battery...and cycle doesn't mean full drain of battery a full cycle is anyway you spend 100% charge...can be in one sitting or you can spend 50% at one time then recharge back to 100% and drain 50% again and that will be a full cycle.
EDIT: BTW when I said that I kill apps I meant with the original task manager.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
well. that's really strange then... because after I got my replacement phone with 2.3.6 I immediately noticed the battery life change.... and I use my phone pretty often throughout the day, I posted my results in another thread here not long ago so I can't really complain about battery life on my phone. I do however have a spare battery with me all the time but I only got to use it very few times since i initially purchased this phone. it does last me for about 11 hours when I'm out in the city and use it extensively l on LTE network. but that's rare...

Nomad696

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Right now my phone is at about 3-4% and 14h8m on battery, 3h50m on display would that be normal for the skyrocket?
EDIT: Oh and BTW sometimes when I charged the phone before going to bed and unplugged the charger for the night by morning the battery was down by 10%... is this common?

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to TgeekB's suggestion, I ordered and installed today a 2250mAh extended slim battery that fits the Skyrocket: Amazon.com: 2250 mAh Extended Slim Battery for Samsung Galaxy S2-LTE i727R Skyrocket: Cell Phones & Accessories

I'm posted earlier in this thread that my original battery was giving me around a full day and some change typically (even before the 2.3.6 update), but I wanted to get a spare...why not an extended battery? :) I'll post soon on what kind of battery life I've been getting from it.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Right now my phone is at about 3-4% and 14h8m on battery, 3h50m on display would that be normal for the skyrocket?
EDIT: Oh and BTW sometimes when I charged the phone before going to bed and unplugged the charger for the night by morning the battery was down by 10%... is this common?

3h50m with 14hrs its a pretty good result. and a pretty heavy use too. as for the night battery discharge, you mean 10% is all that left by the morning? If i dont charge my phone over night it usualy would lose maybe like 7% for 8 hours so from full charge after 8hrs it would show me like 92-90% and i have weather bug updating every 30 mins and Pulse news app every 6 hours. oh and i also have a live galaxy wallpaper by Xilusions (awesome quality LWP btw) which I have set for two weeks already and it doesnt seem to have any impact on battery life whatsoever...

Reactions: Nomad696

Nomad696

May 1, 2012
Visit site
3h50m with 14hrs its a pretty good result. and a pretty heavy use too. as for the night battery discharge, you mean 10% is all that left by the morning? If i dont charge my phone over night it usualy would lose maybe like 7% for 8 hours so from full charge after 8hrs it would show me like 92-90% and i have weather bug updating every 30 mins and Pulse news app every 6 hours. oh and i also have a live galaxy wallpaper by Xilusions (awesome quality LWP btw) which I have set for two weeks already and it doesnt seem to have any impact on battery life whatsoever...

Sorry if I mislead you, I mean it would decrease by 10% overnight as in from 100% to 90% over 7-8 hrs in night mode with all connections turned off(4G and Wi-Fi).

Nomad696

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Well if those result are pretty normal than it must be me coming off of my iPhone 4:) one needs time to get used to the battery life difference:) guess I should start looking for a spare battery to buy...any suggestions on that? Should I stick with the $40 original stock or are the $10 "OEM's" from China on ebay are just as good?:)

Last edited:

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I am astonished when I read these threads...I regularly get 20 hours easy and many times over a full day, and I don't use juice defender. I manually sync mail accounts, turn my brightness down to around 10-20% when indoors out of the sun. I don't use live wallpaper, and instead installed a plain black wallpaper available on play store as the type of display the SR individually lights each pixel so a black wallpaper uses much less power. If you are using 50-60% in 4 and 5 hours...well there is just something wrong. You should only drain about 1% an hour in standby...if you are draining a lot more than that then you are never going to get good battery life with any phone....I use the hell out of my phone...right now I am at almost 3 hours screen on...with netflix, browsing , email, texting, calls...50% at close to 17 hours. I also have gps on.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci