Advantages to Rooting Skyrocket?

sportcourt7

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I need a new phone pretty badly, so I am going to get the Skyrocket if I don't here anyhing about ATT getting the Galaxy Nexus soon. So I was wondering if I root the Skyrocket how soon could I get ICS? And would it be worth it to root it? I am new to android and don't know much about rooting. I have a mac so does that make it harder to root a device? Thanks in advance.

sportcourt7

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I am new to android as well and from what i have read ICS will be available to the skyrocket very soon.

I've read that too but I have also read that it is coming to the Skyrocket in Italy in Q2. Which means it might not be avaliable in the US until Q3. I'm sure you know more than me but I'm just afraid ICS won't come to the Skyrocket for 6-9 months.

bwil18

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I heard around Christmas, latestet Jan. But again I am fairly new as well. Only been with android for a month!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Having owned Samsung on ATT, plan for later than earlier. If you bought a samsung expecting an prompt official update, you might was to reconsider. If you expect to flash and unofficial version that will be quicker but before end of year is ambitious I think.

fogel35

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I need a new phone pretty badly, so I am going to get the Skyrocket if I don't here anyhing about ATT getting the Galaxy Nexus soon. So I was wondering if I root the Skyrocket how soon could I get ICS? And would it be worth it to root it? I am new to android and don't know much about rooting. I have a mac so does that make it harder to root a device? Thanks in advance.

Never buy a phone thinking what it will have in the future. Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG, SE, etc will only drop the ball when it comes to updating. Buy a phone for how it is now because more than likely that is what you will have for 1/4 - 1/2 your contract.

Creek

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Never buy a phone thinking what it will have in the future. Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG, SE, etc will only drop the ball when it comes to updating. Buy a phone for how it is now because more than likely that is what you will have for 1/4 - 1/2 your contract.

+1

sportcourt7

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site

Ok thanks. Any idea when I would be able to get ICS if I rooted the device?

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
A ROM is a ROM is a ROM. You can still update OTA even if rooted (stock) but not if running a custom ROM. On something like that the one-click installer most likely will be posted on a website for download. They are usually about 500MB.

Reactions: sportcourt7

sportcourt7

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
A ROM is a ROM is a ROM. You can still update OTA even if rooted (stock) but not if running a custom ROM. On something like that the one-click installer most likely will be posted on a website for download. They are usually about 500MB.

Sorry, I know almost nothing about Android. So are you saying I could get the stock ROM (ICS) from a website and then still get OTA updates? And would that be faster then waiting for the official OTA update?

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
No there are sometimes 2 ways to update. I know on the Inspire there was an OTA push that would update the device from Froyo to Gingerbread - all settings, messages and apps were preserved. There was also a RUU posted on the HTC website for a full flash / reinstall of Gingerbread - everything wiped out - new out of the box. HTC calls their installer a RUU. Samsung calls their installer a "one-click" which is just a stripped down version of Odin for end users. The one you see around XDA is a device test version.

If you are running a stock ROM (even if it is rooted), you can still get OTA udates. You may and probably will loose root but that is easy to get back. Now that said if you are rooted and get a little gutsy and delete some pre-installed apps you will not get OTA updates. I remember seeing a list of what NOT to delete on XDA. Since you are new, I would suggest you cruise the XDA forums for the GS II here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1301

Lots of good stuff in the development as well as in the Qand A sections. Read the guides and some of the threads to get a handle on what you are about to attempt. People here on AC and XDA are more than willing to help! Number one rule of Android - Google is your friend - use it. Ask questions and follow the instructions to the letter. If you do those things, you will be fine rooting, running custom ROMs and returning to stock if necessary.

Last edited:

sportcourt7

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
No there are sometimes 2 ways to update. I know on the Inspire there was an OTA push that would update the device from Froyo to Gingerbread - all settings, messages and apps were preserved. There was also a RUU posted on the HTC website for a full flash / reinstall of Gingerbread - everything wiped out - new out of the box. HTC calls their installer a RUU. Samsung calls their installer a "one-click" which is just a stripped down version of Odin for end users. The one you see around XDA is a device test version.

But either way I'm going to have to wait for the official update? I thought someone could take the ICS off a Galaxy Nexus then put it on the internet then I could download it for the SR (maybe with some custumization idk). But from what your saying it sounds like that's not possible. So rooted or not I will have to wait for the ICS update?

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Unless it comes from Samsung for the SR, someone will have to port it over from whatever device gets ICS first. If I were you I would play with what is available first then when ICS hits you will have no issues flashing to it.

sportcourt7

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Unless it comes from Samsung for the SR, someone will have to port it over from whatever device gets ICS first. If I were you I would play with what is available first then when ICS hits you will have no issues flashing to it.

So someone would have to port ICS from the Galaxy Nexus then with a rooted phone I could flash to it? And what would you play with first the OS it comes with?

Thank you for all your help. If you don't want to keep helping me , you don't need to because I'm sure it's hard explaining things to someone who doesn't know anything.

Dranakin

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I accidentally deleted the both Clock 1.0 packages in Titanium, because I though they were widgets. I had backed them up previously, but when I try to restore them, it just sits there on the screen with a spinning wheel. I have checked the option for 'Unknown Sources' under applications. Any advice?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781