Advantages to Rooting Skyrocket?

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Helping is no problem. We all knew nothing about Android at one time. You will get there in time. Read the rooting procedures, install all the required applications. See if you can get the apps to connect to your device. Go slow, read the procedures at least twice before attempting them, ask questions and follow the procedures to the letter.

This device has been out for only a day and already there is a rooting sticky here on AC. :cool:

There are also ROMs on XDA to play with. Since you are a bit new, I would hold off for a bit on ROMs until some more come out but that should not stop you from reading the threads. When the Greek begins to make sense, you are about ready to take the plunge and root with the rest of us. After that flash with the rest of us.

:cool:

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I accidentally deleted the both Clock 1.0 packages in Titanium, because I though they were widgets. I had backed them up previously, but when I try to restore them, it just sits there on the screen with a spinning wheel. I have checked the option for 'Unknown Sources' under applications. Any advice?

Are you running in USB Debug mode? TiBa does not like running without that enabled.

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I accidentally deleted the both Clock 1.0 packages in Titanium, because I though they were widgets. I had backed them up previously, but when I try to restore them, it just sits there on the screen with a spinning wheel. I have checked the option for 'Unknown Sources' under applications. Any advice?

Dranakin - no pun intended but we have a noob about to start the rooting / flashing journey. Great example of the importance of being careful.

======================================

Oh and this is why there is a disclaimer to be careful if you are rooted. Mistakes do happen!

Both that and Unknown Sources, although I wasn't running it in both when I originally backed-up, only when I tried to restore. Is that where my problem is?

I suspect yes. I know I was getting a warning when launching TiBa without debugging enabled. It hung when I tried to freeze an app without it enabled. I reset the device, enabled debugging and did it again with no issues.

sportcourt7

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Helping is no problem. We all knew nothing about Android at one time. You will get there in time. Read the rooting procedures, install all the required applications. See if you can get the apps to connect to your device. Go slow, read the procedures at least twice before attempting them, ask questions and follow the procedures to the letter.

This device has been out for only a day and already there is a rooting sticky here on AC. :cool:

There are also ROMs on XDA to play with. Since you are a bit new, I would hold off for a bit on ROMs until some more come out but that should not stop you from reading the threads. When the Greek begins to make sense, you are about ready to take the plunge and root with the rest of us. After that flash with the rest of us.

:cool:

Ok thank you. I'll do lots of reading on rooting and flashing.

I have one last question. What is the time frame I'm looking at to ICS on the SR? Before the new year if somoene ports it from the galaxy nexus pretty quick?

kaede177

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I know I need to root mine eventually because I want to use my titanium backup and back up my apps. Btw does anyone know if you can restore apps onto another model phone? I'm guessing it might cause hiccups but maybe someone has done it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781