Will likely be picking up a skyrocket tomorrow, and am a bit concerned about the potential heavier toll on battery life of this LTE phone. I'm in SF, though, which is not yet an LTE market ... so I'm wondering, is it possible to disable the LTE radio on this phone, yet still leave the phone operating at HSPA/HSPA+ speeds?

For that matter, will the LTE radio even activate if it's in a nonLTE market?
    11-09-2011 11:28 PM
    I'm thinking it doesn't activate. I'm actually more worried if it will activate itself when LTE finally arrives lol. My battery has been going longer and longer each day. Unplugged for 13 hours at 29%, light to moderate use. -bay area
    11-10-2011 01:02 AM
    I'm thinking it doesn't activate. I'm actually more worried if it will activate itself when LTE finally arrives lol. My battery has been going longer and longer each day. Unplugged for 13 hours at 29%, light to moderate use. -bay area
    since you're in the bay area too (which part?) what kind of speeds are you seeing?
    11-10-2011 01:10 AM
    I'm in the East Bay and I'm getting 4-5Mbps consistently. Can't wait for LTE supposedly by the end of the year.
    11-10-2011 01:31 AM
    Check out the GSII Forums on xda there is a post and you can set up an apn that will increase data speeds and avoid LTE.
    11-11-2011 06:40 PM
    Is this the thread to which you're referring?

Change your APN settings! - xda-developers

I will give this a try...but to clarify, are you saying that by switch from the "pta" APN to this other APN will effectively disable the LTE radio? Presumably, this will also result in an (unknown) increase in battery life?
    11-11-2011 06:54 PM
    I'm in north San Jose, I get 4-7 down and 1 up. Avg. 66 ping.
    11-11-2011 08:17 PM
    This is strange. I tried these settings in LTE covered city here in DC and it reverts back to LTE. There's no way to get the HSPA setting. Maybe its just my phone?
    11-12-2011 11:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD