LTE Reception: Skyrocket vs. Vivid?

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Both the Vivid and the SR are having issues. It's a network issue, not a phone issue per se. It comes with the territory when you are the guinea pigs.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
So, I've read two reviews now that have stated their Skyrocket had more trouble holding an LTE signal than their Vivid:

Hands On: AT&T's 4G LTE Network in Boston | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket review -- Engadget

Has anyone else had this problem? I am thinking of swapping my GS2 for a Skyrocket. But, if there really are problems, I may just return it altogether save my upgrade til the next batch of LTE phones.

I have the SR in dfw and it does great. I cannot compare to Vivid. Battery life is better
on SR. I have not been outside of dfw yet but so far so good for me.

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for responding, guys. Maybe it's just a few isolated incidents or has something to do w/ settings. Vivid is sort of out of the running for me if what I've been reading about battery life is true.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for responding, guys. Maybe it's just a few isolated incidents or has something to do w/ settings. Vivid is sort of out of the running for me if what I've been reading about battery life is true.

Regarding the Vivid, smaller battery size and LTE radio is not a good mix.

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I have had both and neither had issues. Some are just not accustom to the lower LTE signal vs. 2g/3g. Also some may be confused with CSFB.

Johnny D

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Lower LTE signal?? I thought the lower you went in MHz, (in this case 700) the stronger the signal?? Atleast that's the case when you go from 3G to 2G.. The 800mhz 2G signal is stronger and travels farther. I would think it's a tower or antenna issue. My friends LTE verizon thunderbolt gets full bars in our area.

definitelyian

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
I live in Atlanta and have had the Vivid for almost a week now. It has done a superb job of holding onto the LTE signal; much more so than my Elevate LTE hotspot. The Elevate will flip to HSPA+ at the drop of a dime, while the Vivid rarely does. Unfortunately, I can't comment on the SR.

pdagal

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
LTE and HSPA aren't necessarily broadcast from the same tower and won't be sent from the same panel on a tower. They use different broadcast technologies. Thus you could have different signal levels between 3G and 4G LTE. The lower the spectrum, the better the building penetration but the shorter the distance the signal travels from the tower. 700MHz will penetrate well into buildings but should require greater tower density. Now the diff between 700 and 800MHz isnt much, bu if you're talking 1900MHz vs. 700MHz, the penetration and distance covered vary significantly.

Lower LTE signal?? I thought the lower you went in MHz, (in this case 700) the stronger the signal?? Atleast that's the case when you go from 3G to 2G.. The 800mhz 2G signal is stronger and travels farther. I would think it's a tower or antenna issue. My friends LTE verizon thunderbolt gets full bars in our area.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I have been getting good speeds on my Skyrocket. Mostly on HSPA+, but drove through Atlanta today and clocked 40+.
LTE is going official in INDY tomorrow, so I can update speeds when I get back home.

The 40 mbps in Atlanta is faster than my home internet. By far...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney