Traded in my gs2 for the skyrocket a few days ago, mostly for the better vmail support.

I was surprised to find that the sky doesn't have vlingo built inn, as did the gs2!?! I can install vlingo, match, but I rather got used to the more integrated Samsung version of vlingo on the gs2.

Too, the last couple of days i've noticed some serious issues with GPS. I typically leave GPS off to preserve battery life, turning it on only when I need to access maps, yelp, places, etc. However, I'm finding on the sky that enabling the GPS radio is NOT an instant, our even quick, affair. The location apps all report "location not available" for minutes (10+!) After the GPS is enabled.

This is in marked contest to the sg2, where thanking GPS allowed for location services to work within moments.

Has anyone else experienced this issue...or could this be a miss config with my phone?
    11-12-2011 11:39 PM
    Oh one other annoyance...its ridiculous & annoying that the phone always displays 4G in the status section in a non LTE area ... Imho it should show 3G or HSPA, a did the original gs2, when in a non LTE area. Fekn att marketing.
    11-12-2011 11:42 PM
    Traded in my gs2 for the skyrocket a few days ago, mostly for the better vmail support.

I was surprised to find that the sky doesn't have vlingo built inn, as did the gs2!?! I can install vlingo, match, but I rather got used to the more integrated Samsung version of vlingo on the gs2.

Too, the last couple of days i've noticed some serious issues with GPS. I typically leave GPS off to preserve battery life, turning it on only when I need to access maps, yelp, places, etc. However, I'm finding on the sky that enabling the GPS radio is NOT an instant, our even quick, affair. The location apps all report "location not available" for minutes (10+!) After the GPS is enabled.

This is in marked contest to the sg2, where thanking GPS allowed for location services to work within moments.

Has anyone else experienced this issue...or could this be a miss config with my phone?
    Why do you think the vlingo on the OG SGSII was better integrated than using the app? The VVM is also an app which I tried to download on my Atrix 2 but it said my phone was not compatible.

I noticed this in the OG and the SR. My Moto has a dead on very fast gps. It takes the Samsungs a bit longer but never more that an minute or so for me. The SR also has a great signal. I have been able to get gps lock inside buildings where I never got them with the OG SGSII.
    11-13-2011 09:36 AM
    I should mention that SOME times (rarely, and typically only after the GPS radio had been enabled for a few hours) it does work, though I've not found a pattern. Doesn't appear to be battery related, since i've had it not work at full charge, then work later that day at 5% charge.

Too I downloaded the GPS Status app to directly see what result the GPS radio was returning ... that app shows the GPS properly returning a latitude & longitude, but then exciting the app & trying Maps still gets no GPS/location result.
    11-13-2011 10:18 AM
    Installing Vlingo worked just fine if not better for me. The home button seems to work a little bit faster now since it's not expecting a double tap from Vlingo (though there's still a lag ).

So far I haven't noticed any difference w/ GPS performance, but I haven't tried turning it off and then back on again.
    11-13-2011 10:57 AM
    I haven't noticed any lag with GPS either - maybe it's a bad unit?
    11-15-2011 12:53 PM
    It's quite odd ... when I was traveling in Portland, the GPS issues were often and persistent. Got back home to SF, and suddenly GPS started working w/o issue again, try as I can I can't get it to reproduce the problem now ???
    11-15-2011 04:18 PM