My Advice to those considering the Skyrocket

Shermdiggity

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I posted a very similar reply to another thread, but I felt Ok about starting a new thread for this. This is my advice to someone struggling with decided between the SII and the Skyrocket. I agonized over this as soon as I heard about the Skyrocket and spent about 5 combined hours over a few days in the store and in Best Buy trying to get advice from people I trust. This was important to me because my phone needs to last the 2 years of my contract. My thoughts and advice from experience is below:

So, I was second in line on October 2nd to get the SGSII when it came out at AT&T. I absolutely loved the phone. Screen is beautiful, snappy and intuitive UI, ton of storage, yada yada yada. I was completely content and happy with the phone I'd waited 6 months to buy. Then AT&T decided to launch the SGSII Skyrocket....which was basically intended to be the SII with LTE.

I read as much as I could in these forums, other sites, reviews on Engadget, PC Mag, Phonearena, Mobile Tech, etc. etc because I was concerned about 3 things: 1) Impact of Qualcomm processor vs. Exynos 2) Battery Life and 3) Screen size with the same resolution. In general, the reviews stated that even though the Exynos processor tends to score better on most tests than the Qualcomm Snapdragon S3, it is unlikely that you would be able to tell the difference in everyday use.

So, I went to AT&T and bought the Skyrocket, so that I would be covered with an LTE option whenever my city gets it. Once I got home, I spent hours configuring, downloading apps, customizing my home screen and panels and just using it like I used to use my SII. It became clear very, very quickly to me that I did notice the Qualcomm processor chipset compared to the standard Exynos SoC. I'm not saying the Snapdragon S3 is awful, but after using my SII with the Exynos for a month, I could immediately tell the difference. Things just weren't as snappy, crisp, and fluid. Screen transitions weren't as smooth, I often noticed a stutter when apps closed, and it just seemed slower than what I had become accustomed to feeling. For lack of a better way of saying it, the phone just felt "bloated" to me. It felt outsized for what was under the hood. I even did Quandrant tests and they were great...often in the 3000-3100 range.....but the everyday usage was not the same. I also noticed that the phone got fairly warm after extensive usage or charging.

The phone was not bad at all, do not get me wrong....I was just very disappointed after falling in love with the experience of the original SGSII. If I had purchased this phone first I probably would have been fine.

Here is my advice:
1) If you have not bought a SGSII but are looking to get a phone with similar specs and are concerned with LTE, get the Skyrocket
2) If you currently have the SGSII and tend to notice/care about technical details, don't buy the Skyrocket. My personal opinion is that you'll be able to tell the difference and it will drive you crazy.
3) If you have an upgrade available and haven't purchased either, go with the Skyrocket first. That way you are covered if LTE comes to your city and you don't build a prior expectation of what the SII will feel like.....if for some reason you don't like it, you can always return it and get the SII....the difference in price will pay for the restocking fee AT&T charges you.

I returned my Skyrocket and now I have my SII again. I'm a happy camper.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Good advice! I had the SGSII for three weeks before returning it a week before the SR came out. While I consider myself very technical and demanding of my phones, I just could not see the difference. I also have an Atrix 2 with an OMAP processor and it is comparable as well. I have used launcher pro on them all and I just do not see the difference when compared subjectively. Is one milliseconds faster than the other?, probably but does that really matter? When the galaxy nexus comes out, probably this month, it will be faster than anything even with supposed "inferior specs". I would like to add that of the big reviewers, none really noticed these issues either further showing that this bias towards the SR is probably subjective.

I would add that if you do not have LTE and will not have it in the next 6+ months to go with the SGSII, although those in HSPA+ markets say the SR is faster than the SGSII in those markets as well anecdotally speaking.

When I pop a speed test and see a 25 to 35 mbps download times on my SR, I just smile because THAT is the defining difference to me. Not to slam the Exynos, but as great as it is, it cannot do that! I guess I am a sucker for an LTE modem over a processor.

I do think I need some help though...I saw the Engadget review of the Galaxy Note N7000 and started thinking of ways to pay for that...and how I would swing the data package and phone number for that, so I could keep my SR. Surely something is wrong with me!!! LOL!

Last edited:

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to get the Skyrocket due to LTE being released in my area on the 6th. I'm sure I'll be happy coming from an Atrix 1. The only thing I don't like is the lack of an led notification light. Oh well when the Nexus comes out I'll probably get that too. Lol

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to get the Skyrocket due to LTE being released in my area on the 6th. I'm sure I'll be happy coming from an Atrix 1. The only thing I don't like is the lack of an led notification light. Oh well when the Nexus comes out I'll probably get that too. Lol

1. How did you know LTE is lighting up on the 6th? Would love to know when it's coming to my area (LA).

2. Have you tried NoLED? Great app, just make sure you configure it properly so it doesn't suck your battery too much.

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I would add that if you do not have LTE and will not have it in the next 6+ months to go with the SGSII, although those in HSPA+ markets say the SR is faster than the SGSII in those markets as well anecdotally speaking.

I compared an S2 and SR in the store in LA, and this indeed seems to be true. This is what made me ultimately decide to exchange the SR.. although I too loved the hell out of my S2.

Hard to go wrong w/ either. 4S owners seem pretty happy w/ a smooth running phone on HSPA+.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
1. How did you know LTE is lighting up on the 6th? Would love to know when it's coming to my area (LA).

2. Have you tried NoLED? Great app, just make sure you configure it properly so it doesn't suck your battery too much.

It was one of the areas released with the LTE phones on Nov. 6. I'm in DC. Thanks for the application suggestion!

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget though that ICS has been confirmed for the SR in Q1 2012. Strangely, not for the SGS II. ICS in itself will correct any perceived lag as it will hardware optimization.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Is it really that noticeable of a difference? From what I have seen on YouTube videos, the phone seems plenty snappy. I was thinking about picking up one.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget though that ICS has been confirmed for the SR in Q1 2012. Strangely, not for the SGS II. ICS in itself will correct any perceived lag as it will hardware optimization.

I had to go out of town today to visit my sister in the hospital (she is having a baby) and finally found an AT&T store that had working display models of both the OG SGS2 and the Skyrocket. I did notice that the Skyrocket was less smooth when flipping between home screens but the deciding factor for me was that the Skyrocket just didn't fit comfortably in my hand. I am coming from an iPhone 4 and the OG SGS2 feels fine in my hand but the Skyrocket felt just a little bit too big for my hands, so that was that for me. I am going to see if AT&T will price match Walmarts price of $149 or Targets price of $100 (if they still have it even) and if so I will go ahead and get the OG SGS2, if not I will have to wait because I can upgrade at an AT&T store now but can't upgrade at a retailer until December and getting it a few weeks early isn't worth the extra cost to me.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Is it really that noticeable of a difference? From what I have seen on YouTube videos, the phone seems plenty snappy. I was thinking about picking up one.

I was lucky to see 1/4 those speeds if that with the 4s in Chicago.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII LTE using tapatalk.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

I just got mine today and I came from an iPhone 4. This thing is fast! Love it so far. I had an evo before and hated it. But this is worth buying!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Is it true that the LTE radio can not be turned off? That must kill battery life.

Yes it's true and it's moronic. Being able to toggle off LTE is absolutely essential. Especially on a new network that's just rolling out and the LTE reception is spotty. I don't think this blunder can be blamed on Samsung because all the other GS2 phones have it as far as I know. This needs to be fixed with a software update or 3rd party app like today.

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site

No. I don't really see any lag and I owned the SGS II for a month before getting a Skyrocket. I put up the ICS comment for people who say they see lag.

Shermdiggity

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site

This is a very good point. I thought about that fact quite a bit in my deliberations and I certainly hope that it will make a difference with the processor in the SR. Personally, I was really bothered by the difference that I noticed and without a specific date for when ICS will come to the SR, I had to assume that 2.3 would be on there for some time. Because of my 30 day return period, I had a to make a quick decision so I decided to go with the SII.

The guys at the ATT store also told me that HSPA+ isn't even really built out in my area so the speeds I am getting, which are adequate, will definitely improve in the future. So, I decided to go back to my SII and deal with LTE whenever my city gets it or when my next upgrade comes around, whichever comes first.

canaah

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I somewhat agree with the thread starter, I had the Epic touch 4g for sprint and it was a little snappier than the Sky rocket. the Epic touch 4g uses the same processor as the galaxy s 2 on ATT. But the LTE in Atlanta really will make you forget about the small differences in processor speeds. HSPA + is cool, however Im really big on Data speeds. When i had m Infuse 4g speeds were very inconsistent depending on the area. In Atlanta I would range from 250kbs to 11mbs which are good speeds but nothing like LTE. And on my Epic touch 4g for sprint its really fast and snappy but sprints Data speeds are by far the most inconsistent. Wimax is great if you can find an area where it will work. I live in Atlanta and I find myself using 3g on the Epic touch 4g cause sprints 4g coverage is terrible. Bottom line I am sooooo satisfied with the Skyrocket, the difference in processor speeds is very minute and it really isnt significant difference to me. But the clincher is when Im getting data speeds between 21-48MB's then it really separates this new LTE device from the other Galaxy S 2 devices without it. The LTE speeds in Atlanta crush anything ive seen on sprint, verizon, t mobile, or even my home Wifi. Go with the Skyrocket in my opinion.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000