Skyrocket Bluetooth Problems! HELP!

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Guys, I use BT often for my car handsfree kit built into it. When I set it up, it connected and all was good except it wouldn't transfer the phonebook to my car. When I went back to my car I reenabled my BT on the phone, and it wouldn't connect to each other. I was like come on now. So I turned off the BT on my phone and on, and it won't turn back on.

So I turned the phone back off, and on, tried to connect it connected to the car as soon as it came up. I went into a store, came out, the car wouldn't connect and I find my BT turned off on the phone on it's own. I also can't get it turned back on. The phone refuses to turn BT back on.

Any ideas why? I hate to have to return this phone and go back to a iphone because of this but the iphone was 100% reliable in this area.

Please help me!

I own a 2011 VW GTI.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Okay nevermind. I think I fixed it. There is a powersave on this phone and it was turned on. I turned off the BT option for it and now it works fine it seems. :)

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. I had the same issue. It do not think it connects automatically like my Atrix 2 but once I turn on the bluetooth in the car it allows me to go to the bluetooth settings and connect from the profile for my Audi Q5. Powersaving mode is not enabled on my phone or bluetooth checked...

Strange...My Atrix 2 connects automatically and hangs on like a dog on a bone but I am not as confident in the SR Bluetooth at this point...may have been a coincidence so I will watch keep an eye on it.

Last edited:

RTS777

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue. Here is what I wrote to Samsung:

I am having some trouble with my bluetooth connection in my vehicle. First, when I enter the vehicle the bluetooth connection is not made. And I cannot manually make it unless i restart the phone. Then the connection is stable for a while, and then bluetooth randomly disconnects from the vehicle. Looking at the phone it will say that the bluetooth is off. And when I try to turn on bluetooth, it says it's turning on, but never does. The only fix seems to be to turn the phone off and on again. And since the skyrocket does not even have a restart choice, it is a real pain shutting down the phone and then turning it back on manually every time i want to use the bluetooth in my car. And in case you are thinking the problem is with my car's bluetooth I can tell you that it works perfect with an old motorolla phone, an HTC evo 4g, an and iphone 4s. And in case you're thinking I'm the only one with this problem, here is a link to site where others are having the same issues. Please help with some firmware upgrade or some advice. I do not have power-saving mode on, so that's not the problem either.
Bluetooth Issues? - xda-developers

And here is their response:

Thank you for your inquiry. We apologize for the inconvenience about the issue on your phone.

We understand that you are having issue on your bluetooth.

While your handset does support the Bluetooth profile for hands free operation, this would best be
addressed by your vehicle manufacturer, as they can provide a list handsets approved for compatibility. In
most cases, this information is available on the manufacturer?s website.

Please bear in mind that Samsung does not support the use of any third party hardware with our handsets.

We apologize for any inconvenience this presents.

Thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products. Have a good day.

Sincerely,

Jen
Technical Support

So basically what Samsung is saying is that if you have anything other than a Samsung Bluetooth device, don't expect it to work properly with their Samsung phone. That's just nice. I should call the manufacturer of my VEHICLE if i want the Samsung to work properly. The manufacturer of a seventy thousand dollar car should fix the Bluetooth problems I am having. How? Maybe BMW can wireless update the firmware of the vehicle they sold me. I'm not sure what Samsung had in mind when they suggested that it's a vehicle problem, even though I made it clear that it worked fine with both an iphone and HTC.

Well, thank you very much Samsung, but i figured out how to resolve my own problem. And maybe this can help the rest of you until Samsung gets a firmware upgrade for this obvious flaw.

Here's what I did. My Samsung skyrocket was having issues with my car until I "unpaired' the phone from any and all Bluetooth devices, including the one in my car. Once the Bluetooth memory was clear, I restarted the phone and paired it with the car, and ONLY the car. After that it's been a couple of days and absolutely no problem at all.

It seems whenever you pair this phone to more than one Bluetooth device, it has issues. Make sure that you don't pair it with anything but the only main Bluetooth device you'll be using. It fixed my problem, and i hope it fixes yours too.

Of course this isn't the right way to solve the problem. The phone should be able to pair with multiple units. But since Samsung won't help, this is the best we can hope for. I'm going to past this message on multiple sites so people with similar problems can find a possible solution.

Let us know if this helps you.

Samsung Skyrocket rocks in many respects. I love everything about this phone. With the except of the voice call volume in crowded areas. It seems there's very little treble and midrange in the handset's main speaker, so you hear people but you can't understand them unless you're in a very quiet environment. The speakerphone on the other hand is very loud and works well.

RTS

cbn4forums

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
BT worked just fine for a few days and now in the last couple of days, it barely connects. I was disconnected while in my car (Acura TL) and now it connects when I first restart the phone for no more than 2-3 minutes and drops again.

dwboston

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
BT worked just fine for a few days and now in the last couple of days, it barely connects. I was disconnected while in my car (Acura TL) and now it connects when I first restart the phone for no more than 2-3 minutes and drops again.

From Acura HandsFreeLink:

Special instructions for pairing Samsung Phones (not all may be applicable to every phone)

SAMSUNG
Bluetooth Power
Ensure Bluetooth is turned ON permanently.
Discoverable/Visible
1. Go to Menu
2. Select Settings and/or Tools
3. Select Bluetooth
4. Select Settings/Visibility
5. Set Discovery Mode/Visibility to ON

Authorize Connection
1. Go to Menu
3. Select Bluetooth
4. Select HFL
5. Set Options to Authorize Device

Auto Answer
1. Go to Menu
3. Select Call Settings
4. Select Auto Answer or Answer Options
5. Set Auto Answer to OFF

Answer Options
1. Go to Menu
3. Select Call Settings (on some models, select Others, then Call Setup or Phone Settings, then Extra Settings)
4. Under Answer Options/Call Answer, select Flip/Slide, AnyKey, Send, or Auto Answer (if available).
Auto Answer is the preferred setting but any of these will work.

Setting discoverable to ON permanently makes a huge difference with a lot of phones, in my experience with the Acura HFL system.

Last edited:

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Oh great I own a rooofing co. and was going to use this in my work truck, an f-150 with Microsoft Sync. Now I'm wondering if it will work. Sheesh

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Had more time to play with today. I am having the same issues as others. This is not good. Have it paired with my car and jawbone.
I will delete and pair with my car only to see if this works.

EDIT: ok the BT on the Skyrocket is half crap...I deleted both devices and then paired my car (which has worked with the captivate, atrix, atrix 2) and I get the same issues. Once you turn off BT or leave and return, it will not reconnect unless you restart the phone. I then deleted the car BT and paired my Jawbone BT and it works as it should. Not sure what the issue is with the car (Audi Q5) BT but I did send Samsung a message through their support website to let them know the issues and to not bother to tell me it is the car and just fix it.

Last edited:

cbn4forums

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks dwboston, the issue I have is not being to set this up, this is my 3rd acura TL. The fact is bluetooth just stopped working, I can not even use my Motorokr S305 headset for phone calls or to listen to my music while jogging. By the way, it all worked just fine for about 4 days since getting the phone. My Atrix 4G worked just fine with the car and the headset. I am thinking of restoring the phone to factory default and see if this fixes the issue.

RTS777

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Had more time to play with today. I am having the same issues as others. This is not good. Have it paired with my car and jawbone.

EDIT: ok the BT on the Skyrocket is half crap...I deleted both devices and then paired my car (which has worked with the captivate, atrix, atrix 2) and I get the same issues. Once you turn off BT or leave and return, it will not reconnect unless you restart the phone. I then deleted the car BT and paired my Jawbone BT and it works as it should. Not sure what the issue is with the car (Audi Q5) BT but I did send Samsung a message through their support website to let them know the issues and to not bother to tell me it is the car and just fix it.

Hi Planoman,

Since disconnecting my phone from any other bluetooth device, I've left the phone's bluetooth feature in the ON position. I have never turned it off. I think that you'll find that if you do the same, and not sync with any other BT device, you should have your problem solved in the meantime.

Has anyone else noticed that the headset's voice quality really sucks? It's almost like the speakers are about to blow out. When it's in speakphone mode ti's fine. But regular voice use it really really fall behind other phones.

RTS

Reactions: planoman

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi Planoman,

Since disconnecting my phone from any other bluetooth device, I've left the phone's bluetooth feature in the ON position. I have never turned it off. I think that you'll find that if you do the same, and not sync with any other BT device, you should have your problem solved in the meantime.

Has anyone else noticed that the headset's voice quality really sucks? It's almost like the speakers are about to blow out. When it's in speakphone mode ti's fine. But regular voice use it really really fall behind other phones.

RTS

So if once connected just leave the BT on even when you leave the car? It works pretty well with my Jawbone. I have not used it in a while because my car BT was so good. This phone is a bit large to hold to my ear, so I will use my Jawbone for the time being since I can use it for calls and in the car.

The sound quality is fine so far and the volume is actually quite loud.

Reggie

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

So I have had the opposite issue with our Q5. My Captivate would have intermittent connection with the Q5. Never a issue with the RS4. If and when the Captivate connected with the Q5 it would not show any names in the directory. Just blank but the contacts were there if you tried to call - it is just that you could not know who you were calling till you made a call. I was able to look at missed calls and see names but not in the main directory. Since the Q5 was my wifes car it was not a big deal to me and doing some cursory tricks did not get it ever to work.

When I got the Skyrocket - it works perfectly each time I get in the car. Bluetooth is always on the phone and I turned off power savings.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
So I have had the opposite issue with our Q5. My Captivate would have intermittent connection with the Q5. Never a issue with the RS4. If and when the Captivate connected with the Q5 it would not show any names in the directory. Just blank but the contacts were there if you tried to call - it is just that you could not know who you were calling till you made a call. I was able to look at missed calls and see names but not in the main directory. Since the Q5 was my wifes car it was not a big deal to me and doing some cursory tricks did not get it ever to work.

When I got the Skyrocket - it works perfectly each time I get in the car. Bluetooth is always on the phone and I turned off power savings.

So once you connect just leave the bt setting on all day? I would turn it off when leaving the car so I may give a other try. Do you have more than one device set up or just the car?

Will try it next week. I switched to my atrix 2 for the weekend as I am running errands and calling from my car. The atrix 2 bt works like a champ with my audi. Also do not have to charge all weekend.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
So once you connect just leave the bt setting on all day? I would turn it off when leaving the car so I may give a other try. Do you have more than one device set up or just the car?

Will try it next week. I switched to my atrix 2 for the weekend as I am running errands and calling from my car. The atrix 2 bt works like a champ with my audi. Also do not have to charge all weekend.

Yes. I tried to turn it off finally after it working solid for a week and it failed. Had to restart the phone for my car to see it again. So I just leave bt on now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Reactions: planoman

radman202

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Reggie,

I have a new Q5 and a new skyrocket. The bluetooth seems to be working but each contact with multiple numbers shows up as multiple contacts on my audi. If there are 2 numbers (mobile and home) it brings up the person's name twice and I have to select one hoping it is the right one. 50 50 chance.

Is that what your's does? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

marlonsams

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I am having some trouble with my bluetooth connection to Acura hfl with Skyrocket. The bluetooth connection is stable for a while, and then bluetooth randomly disconnects and I cannot manually connect it unless i restart the phone. Looking at the phone it will say that the bluetooth is off. And when I try to turn on bluetooth, it says it's turning on, but never does. Even turning the phone off and on again does not help. The power-saving mode is off. Did anyone face the same issue. Any fix.

marlonsams

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Below is the paste from my chat session:

Victoria: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
Visitor: Hi Victoria
Victoria: Hi. How may I help you today?
Victoria: I don't mean to rush you, but I haven't had a response from you. Are we still connected in this chat?
Visitor: I recently bought Samsung Skyrocket cell phone. The phone seems to be having major issues in the bluetooth "department". To make the story short (and cut to the chase) I have tried the blueooth in 3 different vehicles (Acura, VW and Mazda), 4 different bluetooth
Visitor: (cont'd)
Victoria: I am sorry to hear that.
Visitor: Motorola, Plantronics and SAMSUNG. All of the seem to be having issues. Furthermore, there are multiple reports of same issues on multiple MJAOR Android forums and blogs (icluding ATT's own website, Androidcentral.com, XDA developers, etc.)
Victoria: I understand that you are unable to pair the phone with devices on cars, am I correct?
Visitor: no. I am able to pair (initially), but once you have to "reconnect" the phone via bluetooth, the phone hangs (i.e. bluetooth can't turn back on)
Visitor: http://forums.androidcentral.com/galaxy-s-ii-skyrocket/133981-skyrocket-bluetooth-problems-help.html
Victoria: Thank you for confirming.
Visitor: i have a few more links to forums.
Visitor: Bluetooth Issues? - xda-developers
Victoria: I apologize we do not have the access to browse third party websites.
Visitor: well, perhaps you could forward the links to your developers/management.
Visitor: I am almost 100% certin that the issue lies with Samsung hardware/software and NOT with bluetooth manufacturers.
Victoria: I'm sorry, I would like to inform you that there is no known issue with the phone as of now.
Victoria: However, I will try my best in resolving the issue.
Visitor: Well, they are known. At least 5 users emailed to your support and received responces saying the above-mentioned (no known issues to Samsung)
Victoria: I apologize for the inconvenience.
Victoria: Could I ask you a few questions to help me assist you further?
Visitor: if you are saying that there are no issues of its kind known to Samsung and no immediate fix/resolution is coming, I would have no other choice but to return the phone.
Visitor: please do
Victoria: Thank you.
Victoria: May I know since when are you experiencing this issue?
Visitor: ?
Visitor: time of day?
Victoria: I'm sorry, I'm referring to the time frame you are experiencing the issue.
Visitor: oh, this is my 2 nd phone (Skyrocket. I picked it up on Saturday
Victoria: Did you download any third party software or application?
Visitor: nope.
Victoria: Are you able to pair the phone with other Bluetooth devices?
Visitor: as i told you in the beginnin of conversation, please review it.....
Victoria: I'm sorry, I would like to confirm, whether you are able to pair the phone with other phones.
Visitor: yes, I am able to pair
Victoria: Thank you for confirming.
Victoria: Your phone features the protocol of pairing to car devices to access calls.
Visitor: ok
Victoria: I suggest you delete the pairing on the phone, re-pair and try connecting the phone and check.
Visitor: i did multiple times and on multiple devices.
Victoria: I am sorry to hear that.
Victoria: I recommend you perform the soft reset to troubleshoot the issue that you are facing with the device. This might fix the issue.
Victoria: 1. Turn off the handset.
Victoria: 2. Remove the battery and wait for 30 seconds.
Victoria: 3. Reinsert the battery and turn ON the device.
Visitor: that's what I said in the begining of conversation...
Visitor: i did do that, it helps for a SINGLE connection.
Victoria: At this point of time, I request you perform a Hard reset that might fix the issue.
Victoria: If you perform hard reset on the device, the data will be deleted from the phone as a result of this procedure. This process does NOT delete data stored on the microSD card.
Victoria: Shall I provide the procedure to perform a Hard reset?
Visitor: i did that as well
Victoria: I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
Victoria: Please allow me to check and provide the right information.
Visitor: i would like you to to take the report so this becomes "known" issue. Also, please forward those links to your superiors, as those forums vividly describe the issue at hand.
Victoria: I'm sorry. I will definitely forward your feedback to the concerned department on your behalf.
Visitor: thanks.
Victoria: However, as you are referring that the issue still persists even after performing a Hard reset, I request you contact our Samsung Voice Support to file a service request in order to examine the device.
Visitor: ok
Victoria: You can contact our dedicated Galaxy S phones voice support team at 1-877-EZ2GALAXY (1-877-392-4252).They are available 24/7.

milkyway2011

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I own 2 Skyrockets and I have 3 cars. I have the same problems with both of my phones with 3 of my cars.

SOLUTION: If your phone BT doesn't enable and stays grayed out, just simply power cycle the phone and it will work.

Samsung has not recognized as a problem but if enough of us contact them then they will look into this. It is defininately an issue!

Come on Samsung! I love this phone but this is horrible.