SGP Neo Hybrid Case----not ready for prime time

methree

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I was skeptical to order due to there being no pictures of the product on an actual Skyrocket on their website, the Cretouch website, Amazon, or any other that I could find. Due to only 2 or 3 of available case for the phone by any company, I chose this one.

I just got my cases (both 2) in the mail today. I will be returning them tomorrow. They speaker hole does not line up properly. 20% or more of the phone's speaker slots are covered by the case. There is a 2.5mm x 3.5mm unnecessary hole above the volume rocker. That's not so bad, but there is a huge 11mm x 7mm hole on the right top corner. This is the very place phones get the most damage when dropped! The case back fits loosely to the back of the phone leaving a 1/16" (1.5mm) gap around the bottom of the camera. Dirt and debris will easily get in their. The case a a bit too weak against flex on the sides. The rubber part is nearly as slippery as the plastic part. Other than the look of this case, it's no bueno. I think these are unexcusible flaws for a case at this price point.

bwil18

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I was skeptical to order due to there being no pictures of the product on an actual Skyrocket on their website, the Cretouch website, Amazon, or any other that I could find. Due to only 2 or 3 of available case for the phone by any company, I chose this one.

I just got my cases (both 2) in the mail today. I will be returning them tomorrow. They speaker hole does not line up properly. 20% or more of the phone's speaker slots are covered by the case. There is a 2.5mm x 3.5mm unnecessary hole above the volume rocker. That's not so bad, but there is a huge 11mm x 7mm hole on the right top corner. This is the very place phones get the most damage when dropped! The case back fits loosely to the back of the phone leaving a 1/16" (1.5mm) gap around the bottom of the camera. Dirt and debris will easily get in their. The case a a bit too weak against flex on the sides. The rubber part is nearly as slippery as the plastic part. Other than the look of this case, it's no bueno. I think these are unexcusible flaws for a case at this price point.

I just order one directly from their website and it had a picture of it in the skyrocket so hopefully it will fit. Will suck for sure if it doenst....

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I ordered one just to have something until Seidio begins to ship their surface combo.

Is the Neo good enough for a few weeks?

methree

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I just order one directly from their website and it had a picture of it in the skyrocket so hopefully it will fit. Will suck for sure if it doenst....

Seems they now have the actual Skyrocket pictured now. Don't worry about it not fitting. It fits nice and close. It's just that the back sags a bit. It would be better if the plastic component had a rib go from one side to the other just below the camera, but they would have to make the rubber thicker to to that.

Me saying I was going to return the case was an emotional outburst, but I will replace it with a better case once more are available. For now, I?m just going to Dremel out the speaker hole and put some double sided tape around the camera and along the sides and hope holds.

Reactions: bwil18

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Got my Neo Hybrid case today...

First off it is better than nothing on the phone but not really by much. The rubber liner and frame are really thin and I cannot see much if any drop protection. You will get some scratch protection and the rubber liner appears it will not collect pocket lint like a silicone liner. The speaker cutout is not centered perfectly but will still work. Do not think it is worth what it cost.

+ Protects the camera lens by recessing it a bit so if laying on the camera the camera lens will not touch the surface.
+ Protects the front surface the same way by way of a thin lips arounf the edge which keeps the glass from touching the surface when face down.
+ You get a Steinheil Ultra Crystal screen protector which is very nice!

I will use this until Seidio begins shipping their surface or active combos.

Last edited:

clindsey

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I got the SGP Hybrid Case today also...I like the look and design of the case but the build quality is very cheap and a huge disappointment, especially for the cost. I've used $5 eBay cases in the past with better build quality. Not only does the speaker hole not line up, but the mic hole is off too (it's useable but still off). The outer shell is a very, very thin plastic that IMO wouldn't do anything if it was dropped. Same goes for the rubber insert too. Also I found that the power (and volume) button took a bit more effort to turn the device on.

Anyway, needless to say it's going back. I've attached some pictures for everyone to see.

Case next to the phone - front

sgb_neo_hybrid_001.jpg

Case next to the phone - back

sgb_neo_hybrid_002.jpg

Rubber insert on phone

sgb_neo_hybrid_003.jpg

Mic hole

sgb_neo_hybrid_004.jpg

Back rubber

sgb_neo_hybrid_005.jpg

Back speaker hole

sgb_neo_hybrid_006.jpg

Top right corner cut out???? I don't know why that is there.

sgb_neo_hybrid_008.jpg

Back with plastic shell attached

sgb_neo_hybrid_009.jpg

Back speaker hole with plastic shell attached

sgb_neo_hybrid_010.jpg

Back plastic shell attached

sgb_neo_hybrid_011.jpg

Volume rocker with plastic shell attached

sgb_neo_hybrid_012.jpg

Top with plastic shell attached

sgb_neo_hybrid_013.jpg

bottom with plastic shell attached

sgb_neo_hybrid_014.jpg

front with plastic shell attached

sgb_neo_hybrid_015.jpg

methree

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
That's how mine looks exactly, minus the dog wallpaper.

I did watch a video review of this case for the regular GSII on youtube, so I didn't expect much drop protection, but I did expect a more cushiony rubber. properly aligned holes, and for the case not to have a large cutout in the corner.

The only positives are thin, light, and protects 95% of the phone from scratches.

bwil18

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I got the SGP Hybrid Case today also...I like the look and design of the case but the build quality is very cheap and a huge disappointment, especially for the cost. I've used $5 eBay cases in the past with better build quality. Not only does the speaker hole not line up, but the mic hole is off too (it's useable but still off). The outer shell is a very, very thin plastic that IMO wouldn't do anything if it was dropped. Same goes for the rubber insert too. Also I found that the power (and volume) button took a bit more effort to turn the device on.

Anyway, needless to say it's going back. I've attached some pictures for everyone to see.

Case next to the phone - front

Click to view quoted image

Case next to the phone - back

Rubber insert on phone

Mic hole

Back rubber

Back speaker hole

Top right corner cut out???? I don't know why that is there.

Back with plastic shell attached

Back speaker hole with plastic shell attached

Back plastic shell attached

Volume rocker with plastic shell attached

Top with plastic shell attached

bottom with plastic shell attached

front with plastic shell attached

Damn that sucks....looks like i will be returning mine when it arrives as well.

bwil18

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
So how did you get that clock set up? I feel like i am missing out on a lot of ways to customize my phone. I am coming from apple so android is still new to me. Havent read enough to feel comfortable rooting my phone.

clindsey

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
That's how mine looks exactly, minus the dog wallpaper.

I did watch a video review of this case for the regular GSII on youtube, so I didn't expect much drop protection, but I did expect a more cushiony rubber. properly aligned holes, and for the case not to have a large cutout in the corner.

The only positives are thin, light, and protects 95% of the phone from scratches.

Same here, it's just very cheap feeling...

So how did you get that clock set up? I feel like i am missing out on a lot of ways to customize my phone. I am coming from apple so android is still new to me. Havent read enough to feel comfortable rooting my phone.

No rooting needed, it's Widgetlocker

Dranakin

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree: this thing was not worth the money. As demonstrated by the photos above, none of the holes align properly, the plastic feels extremely cheap, and the fit is very poor, as it's loose all the way around, The only plus I can think of is that it comes with an SGP screen protector, which is top quality. But I suppose you pay for it, since the case shouldn't be worth more than $5. I'd much rather have a $10 TPU case.

JustLeft

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Got mine yesterday and have to report that it is a dust magnet. I carry my phone in my front pants pocket. Never had an issue carrying the phone naked. I put on the SGP case and it is a lint magnet. Lint gets under the edge where the soft rubber case contacts the screen. Cleaned the lint out 3 times today. Likely will dumping this case for that reason alone. I do like the look of the case, but the lint is a deal killer. Intend to use the SGP screen protector, so it's not a total loss.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Got mine Thursday and can confirm as others here are saying. P.O.S.
Used the screen protector(good quality) and got the Otterbox impact. The problem is, they are selling the case made for the GSII LTE as for the Skyrocket. Close, but NOT exact.

The box even said GSII LTE. Covers speaker, extra hole at top right, and WAY too thin.

Would have returned it, but left for vacation.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Got my Neo Hybrid case today...

First off it is better than nothing on the phone but not really by much. The rubber liner and frame are really thin and I cannot see much if any drop protection. You will get some scratch protection and the rubber liner appears it will not collect pocket lint like a silicone liner. The speaker cutout is not centered perfectly but will still work. Do not think it is worth what it cost.

+ Protects the camera lens by recessing it a bit so if laying on the camera the camera lens will not touch the surface.
+ Protects the front surface the same way by way of a thin lips arounf the edge which keeps the glass from touching the surface when face down.
+ You get a Steinheil Ultra Crystal screen protector which is very nice!

I will use this until Seidio begins shipping their surface or active combos.

Update: I bought a case mate pop white/gray case from AT&T (Thanks for Corp Discount)! I could not take the SGP Neo hybrid any longer. I just did not have any confidence in the protection. The Case Mate reminds me of the Speck Candyshell in design. Great protection, great grip. The only thing I am not crazy about is the color but 2/3 ain't bad!

JustLeft

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Update: I bought a case mate pop white/gray case from AT&T (Thanks for Corp Discount)! I could not take the SGP Neo hybrid any longer. I just did not have any confidence in the protection. The Case Mate reminds me of the Speck Candyshell in design. Great protection, great grip. The only thing I am not crazy about is the color but 2/3 ain't bad!

I looked at that case and almost bought it. The issue was that it was white. I also have are a white 4s, so I thought that would be overkill.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I looked at that case and almost bought it. The issue was that it was white. I also have are a white 4s, so I thought that would be overkill.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

I hear you! I wish seidio would get their cases for the skyrocket out already!!!