Buy Skyrocket OR Wait for Higher Res Display?

Budge72

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
I live in the DFW area and I've been waiting for an LTE phone from AT&T for awhile. Well, now that the Skyrocket and the Vivid are here, I'm a little disappointed in the specs for the Skyrocket. Other android phones have 1280x720 displays. So why does this "top of the line" model have only a 640x480 display?

So should I just get the Skyrocket or should I wait for a better display?

BTW, AT&T is running a promotion where you can get a a free Skyrocket with the purchase of a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9. That's really tempting.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I would say it depends on your current phone. If you have a good one now, you can wait. If not the SR screen is fine. I go back and forth between the SR and the Atrix 2, which had a gorgeous high resolution screen and when I go back to the SR, it is fine.

I find myself liking the way I can set up my phone better on the Samsungs than the Motos. Like the Sammys have the functions on the pull down notification tab i.e. wifi, BT, GPS etc and with Moto you must use a widget.

Although not a perfect phone, you can forgive the SR a lot when you see LTE in action! I live in DFW but travel to the big cites, SA, HOU, AUS for business and having LTE in Texas is just a great experience!

If the Galaxy Note comes to the US on ATT and LTE count me in!

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I would say it depends on your current phone. If you have a good one now, you can wait. If not the SR screen is fine. I go back and forth between the SR and the Atrix 2, which had a gorgeous high resolution screen and when I go back to the SR, it is fine.

I find myself liking the way I can set up my phone better on the Samsungs than the Motos. Like the Sammys have the functions on the pull down notification tab i.e. wifi, BT, GPS etc and with Moto you must use a widget.

Although not a perfect phone, you can forgive the SR a lot when you see LTE in action! I live in DFW but travel to the big cites, SA, HOU, AUS for business and having LTE in Texas is just a great experience!

If the Galaxy Note comes to the US on ATT and LTE count me in!

I agree. Love mine!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

jflexe99

Droids!
Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Well the 4.5 inch screen is still beautiful. I saw the Vivid and was not impressed. I love having Amoled glass due to glare reduction and contrast.

Only samsungs with HD screens are the Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy note. 4.65 incher and 5.3 incher. Both have not been announced to come to AT&T. If either, I would see the Note having a better chance. I really interested in that phone. I believe Dual 1.4 ghz cpu that is Exynos!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Is there any word about more LTE phones that are coming to AT&T? I'd wait if I knew what was rumored to be coming.

There my be a few more rumors trickle out but soon most will hold their announcements for CES in mid January 2012. At the rate ATT rolled out the Android phones in 2011, I am sure they have some nice LTE offerings coming for the new year. Also never know what they might pop out with on this Friday!

If you have an upgrade and do not mind waiting a few more weeks, your patience might be rewarded!

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Well the 4.5 inch screen is still beautiful. I saw the Vivid and was not impressed. I love having Amoled glass due to glare reduction and contrast.

Only samsungs with HD screens are the Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy note. 4.65 incher and 5.3 incher. Both have not been announced to come to AT&T. If either, I would see the Note having a better chance. I really interested in that phone. I believe Dual 1.4 ghz cpu that is Exynos!

If the Galaxy Note comes to ATT in LTE or HSPA I would be in line ASAP! I am doing my best to keep from buying the international version from Amazon.

dwboston

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
If you have an upgrade and do not mind waiting a few more weeks, your patience might be rewarded!

Do you know something or are you just guessing? :)

My wife got her Skyrocket today. First impressions are very good - nice phone, very thin and smooth. Performance is very snappy - much better than my Dell Streak. Trying to decide whether I should use my upgrade right now or wait a little while. I like the idea of the Galaxy Nexus, but am a little wary of being an ICS beta tester after my experience with the Xoom and Honeycomb.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Do you know something or are you just guessing? :)

My wife got her Skyrocket today. First impressions are very good - nice phone, very thin and smooth. Performance is very snappy - much better than my Dell Streak. Trying to decide whether I should use my upgrade right now or wait a little while. I like the idea of the Galaxy Nexus, but am a little wary of being an ICS beta tester after my experience with the Xoom and Honeycomb.

Very much guessing. I have no idea what might be announced. I'm hoping for the Galaxy Note!

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
The resolution on the Skyrocket is really nice! Don't wanna call you super picky but that's what it sounds like. Not sure how much nicer you want, but I think it's as nice as you're gonna get right now. So if you really want/can wait till 1Q of 2012, they're might be higher res. screens by then, but no one knows for sure.

Budge72

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
The resolution on the SkyRocket (640x480) is better than my iPhone 3G, but the display is larger too. So the ppi is probably pretty close. But compared to the iPhone 4 (960x640) and most of the newer Android phones, the resolution is on the low side. I know that there's no way to future-proof a tech purchase (especially in the mobile phone market), but I can afford to wait until AT&T brings along a phone with the same feature set as the Skyrocket but with a higher res display.

fogel35

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Very much guessing. I have no idea what might be announced. I'm hoping for the Galaxy Note!

It will be the LG Nitro LTE. They got nothing else coming other than probably another Windows Phone. Not sure why at&t is really pushing these Windows Phones.

iJITSU

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
The resolution on the SkyRocket (640x480) is better than my iPhone 3G, but the display is larger too. So the ppi is probably pretty close. But compared to the iPhone 4 (960x640) and most of the newer Android phones, the resolution is on the low side. I know that there's no way to future-proof a tech purchase (especially in the mobile phone market), but I can afford to wait until AT&T brings along a phone with the same feature set as the Skyrocket but with a higher res display.

The Skyrocket and other Galaxy S II variants are WVGA (800x480). Compared to the iphone 4 and 4s, the resolution is noticeably lower. However, the viewing angle and color richness is better on the SAMOLED. I'm very interested to see the screen on the LG Nitro HD. Supposed to be tech similar to the iphone 4/4s but even higher resolution.

jldoom

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Sorry but I don't agree Budge. I had the iphone 4 and consider the Skyrocket screen much better than it was.

I agree. Also coming from an iPhone 4 after a straight year of CONSTANT usage, I find this screen MUCH nicer. I know what the specs are and that the iPhone is supposed to have better resolution yet when I glance at my co-workers iPhone it really does look a bit worse. Not sure why that is? Lol.

I was also looking at the regular SG II and thinking about going to that. I'm still within my 30 days of purchase to return this to ATT and was hoping the Nexus would be announced before then, but I very much doubt it.

Budge72

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Sorry but I don't agree Budge. I had the iphone 4 and consider the Skyrocket screen much better than it was.

I didn't say that the iPhone 4 had a nicer display. I just said that it had a higher resolution. I agree that the Skyrocket has an amazing display. Now imagine that same display quality with a 1280x720 resolution. It's coming...I just don't know when.

ppeterson

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I called and stopped at a store about the AT&T Tab 8.90 / Skyrocket promo and its for new lines of service only on both the Tab and the Skyrocket. Here is the link

One thing to note is if you go to an actual AT&T store they can do the Tab 8.9 without a 2 year contract. Online requires a 2 year contract on the Tab 8.9. Here is the original press release link.

Please post back if you get a different answer from AT&T.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463