12-18-2011 05:15 PM
70 123
tools
    Since this is my first time updating, will the update nuke my apps and photos? What's the best way to back everything up? Currently I only have a 1 GB microSD card, can I backup to the internal and be okay? Thanks for the help.

Jeff
    11-23-2011 05:01 PM
    Since this is my first time updating, will the update nuke my apps and photos? What's the best way to back everything up? Currently I only have a 1 GB microSD card, can I backup to the internal and be okay? Thanks for the help.

Jeff
    You don't lose any data. I just did it. No big deal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    11-23-2011 05:41 PM

Jeff
    You could also take your SD card out. I did not and everything remained. I did not even go back to touchwiz and my launcher pro stayed after the update.
    11-23-2011 06:02 PM
    I just updated mine. Took 2-3 minutes to update. I haven't really noticed any dramatic changes, keeping my eye out if anything major.
    11-23-2011 06:41 PM
    Well sounds like everybody noticed improved speeds on HSPA+ guess I'll update now and see what's up with it. I was really waiting just to make sure there's no stupid bugs that drains battery or causes wifi loss lol. Can't be too careful now a days

EDIT: haha I just tried to update for the first time and it did not find an update? I'm still on 2.3.5! Not rooted, just running Launcher Ex Pro. Any ideas what's up? Now I've got to wait 24 hours to try again. I was on my Wifi connection at home which is always reliable if that had anything to do with it?
    11-24-2011 10:23 AM
    Set the clock forward 24 hrs...
    11-24-2011 11:17 AM
    Lol it did give me the option to update, but it still dint find an update. I rebooted my phone a couple of times as well. Guess i'll just wait a bit longer.
    11-24-2011 01:42 PM
    The battery meter behavior appears to be fixed in 2.3.6.
    11-25-2011 06:30 AM
    Not on mine. I now have a battery indicator that stays stuck on 100% until I reboot. Haven't figured out why besides the update.
    11-25-2011 09:32 AM
    I did the update 2 days ago. I cannot tell any difference. Haven't been using 4g network enough to see if it's any quicker. I did find that I can hold the home button down and it will show me recently opened apps, but maybe it did that on 2.3.5 as well and I am only just discovering that feature.
    11-25-2011 09:55 AM
    I still haven't gotten the update. Wish I could manually update it, like I used to do with my Nexus One.
    11-26-2011 08:04 PM
    The home button did that before the update. I see no difference with the update. That said I am not in an LTE coverage area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    11-26-2011 08:07 PM
    Still haven't gotten the update yet? Although my phone is only about four days old...
    11-27-2011 01:05 PM
    i still haven't gotten the update yet either...tried yesterday and then tried twice this morning by pushing the date forward twice manually in the settings.

it keeps telling me my phone is up to date. granted, i just got the phone yesterday but i'd definitely like the update OTA without rooting asap!

i'm a new android switcher (had iphones since the first one came out) and i've enjoyed the skyrocket so far. i'm still quite nervous about the battery life though
    11-27-2011 03:50 PM
    i still haven't gotten the update yet either...tried yesterday and then tried twice this morning by pushing the date forward twice manually in the settings.

it keeps telling me my phone is up to date. granted, i just got the phone yesterday but i'd definitely like the update OTA without rooting asap!

i'm a new android switcher (had iphones since the first one came out) and i've enjoyed the skyrocket so far. i'm still quite nervous about the battery life though
    Give it a bit more time. Make sure you are powering down your phone regularly (daily) because updates usually come when you power on and initiate with the network. Also allow yourself a good week of charge and recharge cycles to see your battery life. Not sure battery life is as good at the iphone 3GS or 4 but it is better than I thought it would be for LTE and much better than Verizon's LTE.
    11-27-2011 04:01 PM

I did an update check and it said my system was up to date. Twenty minutes later I get a pop up message from the DM manager. I then was able to patch the phone.
    11-27-2011 04:15 PM
    Give it a bit more time. Make sure you are powering down your phone regularly (daily) because updates usually come when you power on and initiate with the network. Also allow yourself a good week of charge and recharge cycles to see your battery life. Not sure battery life is as good at the iphone 3GS or 4 but it is better than I thought it would be for LTE and much better than Verizon's LTE.
    thanks for the advice. i'll make sure to power all the way down tonight to see what happens.

random question though about android itself (have only played around with it for less than a day)- what does everyone around here use as their music player? i've been giving doubletwist a try because all of my music is already sorted as unprotected mp3s in itunes but i find the android interface absolutely horrific coming from the ipod app on iphone.

i'm giving google music a try (although it's taking hours for all of my music to upload into the cloud) and have a question. with google music, in the app itself on the skyrocket do i have to individually select each song i want to download for offline listening? i would definitely prefer to have all of my music stored locally both to save battery life and to have access to it whenever i like. but having to select each song individually to download when i add new files to google music seems really annoying and a possible dealbreaker
    11-27-2011 04:27 PM
    I am another one who is not getting the update. Doesn't sound like a big deal but more of a curiosity. What happens when we are able to get ICS? I don't want to have to wait for that.
    11-28-2011 12:41 PM
    meh, still can't get update. did they pull the update or are others still having trouble getting it as well?
    11-29-2011 01:24 PM
    so today I when I tried to update it said the update is available but the download servers are too busy.
    11-29-2011 01:32 PM
    That is what mine said when I tried it right out of the box and has not let me since I have cleared the cache on the device manager under the app menu over and over and still no update I don't see to much diff. after playing with another skyrocket my concern is the same as others if I am an update behind it could effect the dm from letting me update to ICS and that would be a bad day
    11-29-2011 09:46 PM
    I received the update and havent really noticed a difference. But I am also new to android so this probably doesnt help either.
    11-30-2011 08:15 AM
    still haven't gotten the update... maybe it's because i'm pushing the date forward to check? i can't check again (unless i change the date) for another 2 days...
    11-30-2011 11:06 AM
    Yeah, I guess I changed the date and checked too often; it now says I can check again in 702 HOURS... lol. Is there anyway to do this manually via USB on my laptop? I'm an Android noob, had a BlackBerry for the past 4 years (and could upgrade that manually).
    11-30-2011 11:51 AM
    thanks for the advice. i'll make sure to power all the way down tonight to see what happens.

random question though about android itself (have only played around with it for less than a day)- what does everyone around here use as their music player? i've been giving doubletwist a try because all of my music is already sorted as unprotected mp3s in itunes but i find the android interface absolutely horrific coming from the ipod app on iphone.

i'm giving google music a try (although it's taking hours for all of my music to upload into the cloud) and have a question. with google music, in the app itself on the skyrocket do i have to individually select each song i want to download for offline listening? i would definitely prefer to have all of my music stored locally both to save battery life and to have access to it whenever i like. but having to select each song individually to download when i add new files to google music seems really annoying and a possible dealbreaker

I am using PlayerPro for my music. I transferred all my itunes music to the SD card on my Skyrocket using iSyncr. It kept all my itunes ratings, playlists etc. PlayerPro can see and display all of that. Also has a nice widget and a nice screen lock player.
    11-30-2011 01:49 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD