ATT slowing download speeds...

Aquarium1

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I am sure I go through a lot as well but most of the time on wifi and I do have unlimited. I agree that LTE is very tempting to say forget the wifi, but I guess my habits are set to maximize wifi and minimize data from the days when the cellular data plans were much slower than wifi and the carrier emphasized that wifi does not count towards your data plan.

The other issue with LTE is it seems to use more battery than wifi.

Off topic: I grew up in Plano. Wish I was there for Turkey Day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

CZ Eddie

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
On my iPhone 3GS I averaged 1.7GB/month. When I got my Android, I jumped to 6.4GB one month. I'm on unlimited and did not get any notification about throttling from ATT when I hit 6.4GB that one month.

MAGiK9

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
The text I received from ATT said that I was approaching the top 5% of bandwidth users and to ensure that my download speeds weren't slowed, use wifi when possible.

I haven't checked to see how much data I've used this month, but I'll check later and post it.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I also have Verizon 3G and it is a hard cap at 5GB. I remember when I got the plan they called it unlimited. I said 5GB is not unlimited and they said nobody uses that much data per month.

Having said that, I give in. You guys are right. I do see where where you would use more data with LTE but you are clearly using it when wifi might be available. In my life, I would never have the kind of time to do whatever it is you are doing to consume 50GB to 90 GB of data on a 4.5 inch screen, no thanks!

You are right AT&T sucks for trying to manage their bandwidth on their network. So when everyone feels like you and the LTE speeds slows to a crawl and AT&T drops their unlimited plan and forces everybody to 2GB for $25 the ones who caused it will howl the most. Just my opinion!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The other issue with LTE is it seems to use more battery than wifi.

Off topic: I grew up in Plano. Wish I was there for Turkey Day.

Wish you were here too! Great day about 55! Cowboys playing at 3pm and the Longhorns and Aggies tonight!

Happy Thanksgiving and be safe!

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I also have Verizon 3G and it is a hard cap at 5GB. I remember when I got the plan they called it unlimited. I said 5GB is not unlimited and they said nobody uses that much data per month.

Having said that, I give in. You guys are right. I do see where where you would use more data with LTE but you are clearly using it when wifi might be available. In my life, I would never have the kind of time to do whatever it is you are doing to consume 50GB to 90 GB of data on a 4.5 inch screen, no thanks!

You are right AT&T sucks for trying to manage their bandwidth on their network. So when everyone feels like you and the LTE speeds slows to a crawl and AT&T drops their unlimited plan and forces everybody to 2GB for $25 the ones who caused it will howl the most. Just my opinion!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Everyone has different time management, and many of us travel a lot and are not always willing to pay $30 a day for hotel WiFi. If you're mostly home or office/school I would imagine you may not use a lot of data, but I'm sure if you commute to your work 45min a day and use your LTE device, that alone will use more than 5GB a month of data.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Everyone has different time management, and many of us travel a lot and are not always willing to pay $30 a day for hotel WiFi. If you're mostly home or office/school I would imagine you may not use a lot of data, but I'm sure if you commute to your work 45min a day and use your LTE device, that alone will use more than 5GB a month of data.

I am Marriott Platinum (75 nights) so I get free wifi and I usually try to stay in a Courtyard Marriott which has free wifi. I stay in some pretty nice hotels, and have not seen $30 wifi but would expense it anyway. I travel a lot but as I said, I carry a laptop with built in Verizon card and ipad. I guess you mean commute on mass transit, we do not have that here in Texas lol!. I drive some (to the airport or rental cars) so no data being used during my commutes.

You use a lot of data period! I probably use a lot of data also just not mainly from my phone on the data network. Nothing so pressing that I can't wait to get to wifi or a computer.

Anyways good luck with your data management.

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I am Marriott Platinum (75 nights) so I get free wifi and I usually try to stay in a Courtyard Marriott which has free wifi. I stay in some pretty nice hotels, and have not seen $30 wifi but would expense it anyway. I travel a lot but as I said, I carry a laptop with built in Verizon card and ipad. I guess you mean commute on mass transit, we do not have that here in Texas lol!. I drive some (to the airport or rental cars) so no data being used during my commutes.

You use a lot of data period! I probably use a lot of data also just not mainly from my phone on the data network. Nothing so pressing that I can't wait to get to wifi or a computer.

Anyways good luck with your data management.
Stop being such an elitist chief. Not everyone can expense everything nor do they want to if they are self employed. I have a Galaxy tab 10.1, but I use the phone most because it is easier. Like I said, I download podcasts and download movies to my phone. Give it up man.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Stop being such an elitist chief. Not everyone can expense everything nor do they want to if they are self employed. I have a Galaxy tab 10.1, but I use the phone most because it is easier. Like I said, I download podcasts and download movies to my phone. Give it up man.

You give it up. It's your problem if you cannot expense wifi in a hotel. If I was elitist, I would not be trying to conserve my LTE traffic and use wifi. You do what you want. I am not criticizing you for the way you choose to download your data. I download podcast and movies also just on wifi. You can do as you please. I was just trying to point out that 5 GB in the radio data network is a lot in my opinion.

Oh yeah, and my phone is provided by my company do I so not even pay for it. If I was so elitist would I be trying to conserve my data and look for ways to use wifi? If I wanted to be elitist, I could probably come up with more than talking about wifi...Grow up and stop hating because someone says they can expense wifi for goodness sakes.

Last edited:

JWellington

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Carriers and their BS. So much for my plan to switch to AT&T. I see these kind of posts very often.
I use between 15-20GB a month and I don't get ANY such threatening messages from Verizon. I like GSM but this has got to go!

naddie

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I got a warning and I'm only at 1.56 GB! I posted screenshots and wrote about it here:

AT&T Warns Data Usage Below 2?GB? - Guy Techie - Rants from a tech addict.

I also emailed Android Central and Engadget via the Tip Us link.

The beef I have is that I am getting warned below 2 GB and I pay and extra $5 a month above your standard 2 GB plan! That's just wrong.

I'm not even CLOSE to the new $30 3GB plan. Even if I was, the unlimited plan should be a bit higher than that for us old-timers who is giving them years of loyal business. Ones that are old enough that we are still grandfathered in the unlimited plan!

I am seriously thinking of leaving AT&T now. I used to think I want to stay with AT&T because it was GSM, and I could use any unlocked international phones (most of them anyways). However, this isn't worth it. I'll go with T-Mobile with a real published throttle point (5GB), and stick with a smaller selection of AWS international unlocked phones.

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I recently received a warning but it stated that I was reaching a 4GB limit reached by only the top one percent of users. I have an unlimited plan and didn't really notice a problem with reduced speeds. You should AT&T about that message.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney