skyrocket vs LG Nitro HD Lte

Jfenton78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Pretty obvious...what is anyone's thought on the Nitro HD LTE compared to the SR? With 30 day returns cutting it very close I'm sure others would like to hear some opinions. Is the IPS HD display worth the smaller memory and larger size?

topprospect001

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering exchanging too. I think the 1280x720 display is definitely worth the smaller memory and (slightly) larger size. The PPI of our Skyrocket is pretty bad..

What I'm worried about is community support. For whatever reason, it seems like Samsung phones are better supported vs. LG with custom ROMs and mods. Is this fear unfounded?

Reactions: anon(464338)

rsohne

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Trading in my Vivid on Sunday :D If you are looking for more info check out reviews on the Optimus LTE which is Bells release of pretty much the same phone.

tbran

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
How can we not consider it? It's just being a smart consumer.
At first, I was pretty close to saying I might do it for the display alone.
Then I thought...
The Nitro doesn't appear to have NFC capabilities onboard. Granted they are disabled on the SR currently, but it does have ability.
Devs have enabled them in some roms already.
While the Nitro will get ICS at some point. the track record of LG updates has been terrible.
The 4gb memory limits the Nitro to 36gb. Not a huge factor, but still..
Samsungs in general and Galaxy models in particular get alot of attention. Abundant roms, updates, cases and hardware.
LG products? Not so much.

Sent from my Samsung S-II Galaxy Skyrocket.

Last edited:

CZ Eddie

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Ehh, not for me.
The only spec the LG beats the Skyrocket is with the display resolution. But then the display is not as wide as the Skyrocket. I prefer a wider display, not taller.

Every LG product I've purchased has sucked.

The Samsung will get more custom ROM support (IMO).

Samsung employs thousands of people here in Austin, TX and is as close to buying American as you can get without actually buying American. If that makes any sense.

I'll wait till a phone comes out that has 2GB of RAM and faster CPU.

Jfenton78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
It seems that the LG Nitro HD LTE is not getting very good opinions on the xda-developers website. Some of this is based on past LG support, reviews of the LG Optimus LTE, and in general lacking developer support. I'm not getting a good impression so far.

Jeff

tbran

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I was set to buy a regular Galaxy II the week before the Skyrocket and Vivid released. If I had somehow bought the Vivid or the SG2, then it might be worthwhile to take the chance and exchange, but honestly I really like the SR. Nice stable custom roms and everything just works well.

Sent from my Samsung S-II Galaxy SR LTE using Tapatalk

PewterL31

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
To me LG phones seem to be about gimmicks. The thrill has 3d and nitro "HD" screen. Sorry I'm not feeling LG phones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Reactions: JayPhill89

iJITSU

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I'll be there on Sunday checking it out for sure. Whether I switch or not remains to be seen. If the phone feels good in hand and if the screen is as nice as suggested, then I'll give it a whirl. In general, I prefer Samsung products to LG products, but an LTE Android 720p phone is tempting even if Fisher Price made it.

ALexSoFLy

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
If you really have to have HD display, get the nitro simple as that. If you don't mind looking at a lower resolution display, the SKYROCKET is the phone to get. LGs UI looks too cartoony.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

linuxdood

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Keeping the Skyrocket. Trust Samsung over LG for updates which is pretty sad in and of itself. I suspect better build quality with Sammy

cmnrs4

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
If their appliances are any indication of their quality...:)

I LOVE my GS2 SR, better resolution sounds nice but there is more than meets the eye....

CZ Eddie

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if it's the angles or something, but based on the Android Central early review (http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-nitro-hd-hands), it looks thicker than the SR.

That's because it is.
The SR is wider though (wider screen). SR is also a wider screen than Galaxy Nexus.
The 1280x720 screens will be taller but thinner on 4.5" displays.
I prefer a wider screen = easier to read text IMO.

The weight on the phones are:

LG Nitro = 127 grams
SR = 131 grams
Vivid = 177 grams

So Nitro is just barely lighter than SR. Both are waaay lighter than Vivid.

Reactions: apascual89

jflexe99

Droids!
Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Sorry...the SR is a pretty sweet phone, but I am a huge media user on this. So when I watch netflix and youtube a lot, the screen is just terrible. Lines and blobs all over the screen(common problem on Samoled screens, all over XDA), this is my second one. I will be getting the LG Nitro on sunday. I can't wait to get a proper display, and HD.

It looks very fast, and for people who say LG UI looks terrible, it is called download a launcher....easy as that.

Wider screen for text? How is that made for a better reading? The screen might be every slightly thinner width wise, but with WAY better ppi, 329 vs 207(I believe). Tell me which will be easier to see text and pictures...and I know, to each their own.

LG has a seriously good phone coming out...can't wait to own one.

JayPhill89

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Sorry...the SR is a pretty sweet phone, but I am a huge media user on this. So when I watch netflix and youtube a lot, the screen is just terrible. Lines and blobs all over the screen(common problem on Samoled screens, all over XDA), this is my second one. I will be getting the LG Nitro on sunday. I can't wait to get a proper display, and HD.

It looks very fast, and for people who say LG UI looks terrible, it is called download a launcher....easy as that.

Wider screen for text? How is that made for a better reading? The screen might be every slightly thinner width wise, but with WAY better ppi, 329 vs 207(I believe). Tell me which will be easier to see text and pictures...and I know, to each their own.

LG has a seriously good phone coming out...can't wait to own one.

I've been debating SR and Nitro all week and I just started reading up on the screen lines issue. I've noticed them on my Captivate and i can only imagine that the bigger screen on the SR makes the lines even worse. The screen is what you're looking at for hours each day so it had better be a good screen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance