skyrocket vs LG Nitro HD Lte

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Sorry...the SR is a pretty sweet phone, but I am a huge media user on this. So when I watch netflix and youtube a lot, the screen is just terrible. Lines and blobs all over the screen(common problem on Samoled screens, all over XDA), this is my second one. I will be getting the LG Nitro on sunday. I can't wait to get a proper display, and HD.

It looks very fast, and for people who say LG UI looks terrible, it is called download a launcher....easy as that.

Wider screen for text? How is that made for a better reading? The screen might be every slightly thinner width wise, but with WAY better ppi, 329 vs 207(I believe). Tell me which will be easier to see text and pictures...and I know, to each their own.

LG has a seriously good phone coming out...can't wait to own one.

If you pick one up Sunday, let us know your thoughts. I may even go by and look at it.

Sniper1087

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
If you pick one up Sunday, let us know your thoughts. I may even go by and look at it.

Yeah I will pick one up on sunday and let you guys know if is as good as the SR in performance, and how is the display, switching from Iphone 4S, yeah not the best phone I have ever owned.

tbran

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I've been debating SR and Nitro all week and I just started reading up on the screen lines issue. I've noticed them on my Captivate and i can only imagine that the bigger screen on the SR makes the lines even worse. The screen is what you're looking at for hours each day so it had better be a good screen.

I dunno, I have had the SR since launch day and I've never seen a line, artifact or whatever they call them on the screen. I have an Iphone 4S for work and yeah its sharper, but not sure it is that much better to sacrifice everything else that the SR offers.

Sent from my Samsung S-II Galaxy SR LTE using Tapatalk

CZ Eddie

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I had lines on my first SR. I think the first batch of phones were a little screwy, but for all I know there could still be a few in stock that are just now being sold even though there were among the first batch manufactured.

I took mine back and they replaced it on warranty. The new one is absolutely perfect.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
While Launchers can change the appearance of a phone, they are not exactly a panacea. I find that many launchers are just not a fluid as stock and I put up with less than perfect (TouchWiz for example) because 3rd party Launchers (while very nice) do not IMHO improve the UE they just improve the aesthetics.

Dan

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I took mine back and they replaced it on warranty. The new one is absolutely perfect.

CZ Eddie, I'm assuming you returned it to AT&T, or did you go to Samsung to have it replaced? I'm mulling exchanging mine to see if the replacement won't have the screen line issue.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I looked at some hands on and the LG sure looked like a Samsung to me. I mean the UI looks just like touch wiz. Anyone going to check it out tomorrow? I am interested in seeing the screen and the 320+ ppi of the screen.

Anyone ever had an LG and how did it stack up against the others? I would have to move fast since I got my Skyrocket on Nov 6th. Just kidding, I would not replace my upgrade for the Nitro HD. I would however, sell my Atrix 2 and take the money I was saving for the Galaxy note and buy the Nitro off contract if if is a sweet phone.

ALexSoFLy

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I believe the LG Nitro is running a Scorpion processor. I'm not quite sure how it performs, but we should be seeing some benchmarks. When I watched the video of the SR, Nitro, Vivid side by side, and honestly, I still think the SR looks better. The Nitro might have a better resolution but judging from the UI point, LG's UI is hideous. Way too cartoony and I would not want to have to look at that all day. IMO - SR > Vivid > Nitro.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I went to look at it today and was impressed. They had it on wifi instead of LTE (In DFW). I could not download antutu benchmark from the market.

I played with it for about 15 minutes. My impressions were favorable!

1. Liked the form factor, was a hair taller and a hair thinner than the SR. Very light and I liked the texture on the back cover. They had three different cases that I saw. A speck, body glove and ballistic case.
2. The UI was fine and reminded me of Touchwiz.
3. The screen is gorgeous! The higher resolution means the icons and print from websites is smaller but you can adjust and zoom. The print on websites is superior to the SR. Pinch to zoom worked very well on the websites.
4. The GPS worked well and locked on my location indoors in a few seconds.
5. The camera was superb! Very clear pictures and very nice video!
6. If you are used to the Samsung UI you are familiar with this UI as they are very similar.
7. Although the Nitro had an HD screen and the resolution is clearly higher than the SR, I thought the SR screen looked fine next to it. I guess I was expecting a bigger difference but the Samsung screen held up well next to the Nitro.

I am looking forward to hearing more about the actual operation of the phone and battery life etc.

cajunlte

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I will probably be heading to the At&t store tomorrow to take a look at the phone after spending a few weeks on a SR. I may be swapping if it appears to be an improvement over the SR.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I will probably be heading to the At&t store tomorrow to take a look at the phone after spending a few weeks on a SR. I may be swapping if it appears to be an improvement over the SR.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Call them to make sure they have it. The store closest to my home had no clue what I was talking about. Another store told me they had it on display next to the SR and had them in stock. I am going to wait and check out the Nitro forum for a few weeks before getting serious about the phone. The SR has been and is a great phone so it would take a bit more than the screen at this point to make me jump, since I saw them next to each other and the SR screen still looked pretty good in comparison. I thought the 329 ppi for the Nitro screen would blow the SR out of the water but IMO that was not the case.

andy7g

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I am in a ATT store today too and try the Nitro out. The screen is very good!! The image and the edge of the text are very sharp compared to SR which is a bit blur.
The UI is not as good as the one on SR but not too bad.
The camera is fast and pretty sharp while my SR's camera after pressing the button always feel a little lagging before the actual pic is taken.

Try the phone for about 15 min in the store and the battery was down to about 96%.

I think next year 720HD will pretty much be a standard for all high end smart phone, which is the nature resolution on ICS 4. So although SR is a pretty good phone, it might not be able to hold up through next year. :-\

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramhja11