Does the Skyrocket get too hot?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
In light of this article (What’s that Hot Thing Exploding in Your Pocket? Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket, He Says | WIRELESS AND MOBILE NEWS), has anyone noticed if their SR tends to get very warm after prolonged usage?

I have not noticed it getting warm at all. I wonder if the battery was not making contact properly with the phone and shorted out caused this issue. Just a thought. Of course I may not have the prolonged usage of others I have seen based on the amount they say they download on their data plan.

chilipalm

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah mine runs really hot mainly on the top part of the phone after extended use. I'm kind of worried about it after seeing that article.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Seems like it's more isolated that there's faulty ones out there. Mine does get warm once in awhile, but not often enough for me to freak out, yet. :)

acles003

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Mine got up to 97 degrees Fahrenheit once, felt hotter then that, otherwise hasn't happened again. My HTC Thunderbolt got much hotter, much more frequently.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

cbn4forums

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
My Skyrocket gets hot and I have been able to reproduce it. This happens everytime I put it in my pocket with GPS on. When the GPS is off, it will will not get hot while in my pocket. Even when I have forgotten to turn the GPS off and then turn it off, within minutes the phone gets back to room (pocket) temperature. My guess is that the phone continues to try to acquire GPS and fails but never times out...

This is my experience and I can reproduce it anytime.. I am thinking of taking this phone back and exchange it for a new unit, if this is just happening to me.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I've had my Skyrocket since 12/9 and only once has it gotten warm on the back. That was when I was using it steady for over 30 min. running games, web, and other apps. I would also say that it's probably due to the thin battery cover. Any phone will get warm after prolonged use though. Show me one that doesn't.

artofdesign

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
mine gets hot often.....GPS or gaming or simple internet on a hot day.
I've seen my infuse hit 129 degrees. I assume the SR will do the same.
Hasn't been a problem IMO.

NativeTxn

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Mine got very hot today (hit about 102 degrees) while I was in my Rotary meeting, which is at a Crowne Plaza hotel. It happened the last time I was in the Rotary meeting after I had purchased the phone. Also, the battery drained much faster than normal each time (it was 82% when I walked in and 65% when I left an hour later). The strange thing is that both times, the phone was just in my pocket, and the settings were the same as they always are.

This is really the only time this has happened or the phone has gotten excessively hot (other than if I am using it for an extended period of time).

I am thinking that it might be the fact that there were about 10 Wi-Fi spots available and maybe it was constantly cycling/refershing that list? But I have no idea since these two instances are the only time I have seen this happen. It also makes me think that this could be the case because about 5 or 6 minutes after I left, it had cooled back down again and it was not eating through battery like it was its job.

I'm going to try to turing Wi-Fi off before I get to next week's meeting and see if that helps.

anon(224455)

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Mine runs really hot around the ear piece after 10-15 mins of talking. However, using the phone for ANYTHING other than talking there isn't an issue.

The good news is that the heat drives me to either use the bluetooth in my car, or just end the call short.. ;)

NJCelt

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey,

I'm new, and my skyrocket gets hot if I'm gaming, that's really it.
How are you getting these temps? I tried an app from the market
which states I didn't need to be rooted, but that app stated there was no temp sensor, and widget wouldn't be created. I've attached a snapshot.
Was it wrong?
Do I need to be rooted?(should I root?)
Thanks,

NJ Celt aka Android newb

jdm-skyrocket

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Its probably just that app, I know for sure the app "battery monitor widget" will tell you the temp. I'm rooted and on a custom rom, and the rom has a built in battery app, that's how I check mine.

NJCelt

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks.
That works great.

Btw, does anyone have a skyrocket that gets hotter up near the camera,
& if so is this where the CPU is?

@jdm-skyrocket
I've done some reading about rooting and ROM's
While I'm a newb to Android, I've used Linux for PC since redhat was at version 2
And Ubuntu didn't exist. It seems that it's more dangerous (to flash a custom ROM)
then updating the Bios of a PC or
piece of hardware like a video card.
Do you find this true?
Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance