03-14-2012 05:11 PM
73 123
tools
    I can see both sides to this. People who are downloading over 20GB on the unlimited plan should be the ones throttled. I can't see throttling anyone under that. I understand they have to maintain the network for those who don't use a lot. I have noticed that its how fast you reach 2GB. I went over 2GB towards the end of my cycle and received nothing from AT&T. Many who are throttled use over 2GB a couple days in their billing cycles. I can understand AT&T's side to this but like I said, it should be a set number and be a very high number considering people pay for unlimited access.

This doesn't go only for AT&T but I feel that these companies gloat about their "4G" networks and then cap use. They advertise fast speeds but what's the point when you'll go right through that with the 2GB $25 plan? I see them contradicting themselves.
    12-18-2011 09:31 PM
    Itd called the soft cap. And if you go over (they track what apps you are using too) they can throttle you. Its in the T&C's.
    12-19-2011 02:17 PM
    I think there is something here. I've had my Skyrocket for one week now. My data usage for the portion of the month on my old phone was 2.1 GB. In the week since I got my Skyrocket, my data usage has gone up, according to AT&T, to 5.1 GB. I've been playing with the phone a lot, but there is no way I've used 3 GB in one week. I've installed the traffic monitor widget after reading this today, it will be interesting to compare.

And FWIW, 3 GB in one week and I haven't received any throttling notice from AT&T, but I'm on a corporate account so maybe that has something to do with it. But it does have me worried a bit.
    12-19-2011 06:22 PM
    It's around 5GB not 2GB that u get the reduced speedsw

Sent from my Samsung Skyrocket
    12-19-2011 11:18 PM
    Got the text this am- did a data usage check last night at 8:51 and it came back with 3560.4- magically i used almost 300mb while it was on the charger overnight- did a data check this morning at 7:04 and i used 3838.6- i want to know where those 300mb went- this is crazy-
    12-20-2011 06:16 AM
    I say shame on att for wasting 4 billion on the tmo idea. We are all going to make up the differnce. What morons
    12-20-2011 04:01 PM
    Just got the glorious text. Joyous! I ran speed test after that and the top I get is around 12 mbps when previous to that I got around 22 mbps... So basically I can't access anything beyond hspa+ speeds...
    12-24-2011 11:03 AM
    this makes me nervous, i have "just switched" to droid (im waiting for my skyrocket to come in the mail) but if i get shafted on the speed of my phone then thats BS...lol
    12-27-2011 05:32 PM
    they offer a 2048 mb for 25$ and a 4096 mb package for 45 att does not offer a 5 gig package unless you are using a tablet or a Mifi
    12-28-2011 12:59 AM
    I was a bit off on the data package sizes, flame me. However, my gripe is that I have unlimited data. If you advertise certain high speeds for this phone, you shouldn't be able to throttle people who supposedly have no data cap. Its garbage! My old iPhone 3G S had a better speed test than my skyrocket did when I was being capped.
    12-28-2011 05:05 AM
    I also believe it's the top 5% of users in a market area, not all users on ATT.
    12-28-2011 10:36 AM
    I have had my att skyrocket for just over a month, I used close to 8Gb on my first billing cycle, I never got that message and my phone never slowed down, it still beat the pants of my girlfriend iPhone 4gs in speed comparisons when I was way over my 4Gb plan limit. Could it be a regional thing maybe?
    12-28-2011 11:58 AM
    I have had my att skyrocket for just over a month, I used close to 8Gb on my first billing cycle, I never got that message and my phone never slowed down, it still beat the pants of my girlfriend iPhone 4gs in speed comparisons when I was way over my 4Gb plan limit. Could it be a regional thing maybe?
    You do not get throttled if you are on a tiered plan - only if you are on an unlimited data plan. If you are on tiered, and you go over your "plan amount" they just charge you for every additional GB you use. I think it is $10/GB above the GBs included in whatever data plan you have.
    12-28-2011 02:12 PM
    I also believe it's the top 5% of users in a market area, not all users on ATT.
    That's the word on the street - though in my opinion, it should be a nationwide standard as opposed to a local standard. However, depending on who you talk to at AT&T, you may get mixed responses.

I talked to a CSR about 10 days ago and she said that she thinks the cap limit is 2 GB and she said that the calculation is based off of the heaviest iPhone users because "they" (whoever they is) feel that the top iPhone users are a good indication of what heavy use it. Pretty sure that the cap it not 2 GB, though I have heard rumors that the 5% is based off of iPhone users (which is BS if you ask me).

Regardless, there is little to no consistency or clarity. Hopefully, both of those will change in the future.
    12-28-2011 02:18 PM
    You do not get throttled if you are on a tiered plan - only if you are on an unlimited data plan. If you are on tiered, and you go over your "plan amount" they just charge you for every additional GB you use. I think it is $10/GB above the GBs included in whatever data plan you have.
    Oh okay, I was on unlimited plan, but switched to Verizon, hated it and switched back to at&t, glad I did now cause I use the hotspots on my phone to play Xbox live, I can deal with paying a little extra a month rather than my data speeds being slowed, but still that's b.s. the people grandfathered to the unlimited plan shouldn't get slowed down like that!
    12-28-2011 04:24 PM
    Oh okay, I was on unlimited plan, but switched to Verizon, hated it and switched back to at&t, glad I did now cause I use the hotspots on my phone to play Xbox live, I can deal with paying a little extra a month rather than my data speeds being slowed, but still that's b.s. the people grandfathered to the unlimited plan shouldn't get slowed down like that!
    I agree
    12-28-2011 04:42 PM
    I was a bit off on the data package sizes, flame me. However, my gripe is that I have unlimited data. If you advertise certain high speeds for this phone, you shouldn't be able to throttle people who supposedly have no data cap. Its garbage! My old iPhone 3G S had a better speed test than my skyrocket did when I was being capped.
    gawd, i swear... is customer allegiance worth *anything* anymore?

i passed on the VZW GN for, among other reasons, preserving my unlimited ATT data, and ive stayed with ATT since the 90's. now I'm seeing this throttling which actually can make things nearly unusable. now im wondering if i have anything worth staying for. problem is, i dont trust VZW as far as i can throw 'em. ugh... what to do?
    12-28-2011 05:45 PM
    I've had Unlimited data since AT&T was Cingular, i used 6.5GB last month and never recieved a txt from them. So i wonder what they base their numbers on
    Didn't read the whole thread, but I started with Cingular as well, we've been "grandfathered" in with unlimited. So we'll never get that text, no matter how much we use.
    12-29-2011 02:48 PM
    Didn't read the whole thread, but I started with Cingular as well, we've been "grandfathered" in with unlimited. So we'll never get that text, no matter how much we use.
    Erm... maybe you should have read the whole thread. It's the people who are grandfathered in who are complaining. I'm grandfathered in too and am not too thrilled about possibly getting The Text.
    12-29-2011 04:30 PM
    It's actually the people on the tiered plans that will never receive "The Text" no matter how much they use because they will just be charged for every GB they go over their plan allowance.

The ones that have the grandfathered unlimited plans are the folks subject to being throttled, prior to which they receive said text.

As of now, there seems to be no consistency as to who gets the texts and at what levels of data usage. Some have said they received it as low at 1.5 GB or so, and others do not receive it even after using 6+ GBs. Supposedly, it is based on market region so someone in Dallas might be able to use 5 GB with no issue, while someone in NYC might get throttled at 3.5 GB, just about any variation in between.

That is a one of the main complaints - i.e. there seems to be no rhyme or reason or consistency to who gets throttled, and at what data usage levels they get throttled, in most cases.

The other main complaint is that someone with unlimited data should be able to use that data at the fastest speed available to them; however, throttling flies in the face of that opinion (even though you technically can still use as much data as you want, there is just the possibility that you might be using that data at drastically reduced, and in reality, uselessly slow speeds). The argument continues in that it's not out (the customers) fault that we paid for unlimited data when it was available and have stayed an AT&T customer long enough to see that end as an option for new customers - in fact, some might say we should be rewarded for that (though I'm sure AT&T's argument is that we ARE being rewarded by being allowed to keep unlimited data instead of being forced to a tiered plan).

I think a lot of the complaints would subside some if AT&T would develop some sort of standardized policy that all customers operated under so that there is a semblance of consistency.
    12-29-2011 04:48 PM
    Sorry guys, I'm at work, so I didn't have time to go through the whole thread.

I've never gotten the text, so I was wondering if it was just the new customers. Good to know though.
    Lavitapostandroid likes this.
    12-29-2011 05:41 PM
    It's actually the people on the tiered plans that will never receive "The Text" no matter how much they use because they will just be charged for every GB they go over their plan allowance.

The ones that have the grandfathered unlimited plans are the folks subject to being throttled, prior to which they receive said text.

As of now, there seems to be no consistency as to who gets the texts and at what levels of data usage. Some have said they received it as low at 1.5 GB or so, and others do not receive it even after using 6+ GBs. Supposedly, it is based on market region so someone in Dallas might be able to use 5 GB with no issue, while someone in NYC might get throttled at 3.5 GB, just about any variation in between.

That is a one of the main complaints - i.e. there seems to be no rhyme or reason or consistency to who gets throttled, and at what data usage levels they get throttled, in most cases.

The other main complaint is that someone with unlimited data should be able to use that data at the fastest speed available to them; however, throttling flies in the face of that opinion (even though you technically can still use as much data as you want, there is just the possibility that you might be using that data at drastically reduced, and in reality, uselessly slow speeds). The argument continues in that it's not out (the customers) fault that we paid for unlimited data when it was available and have stayed an AT&T customer long enough to see that end as an option for new customers - in fact, some might say we should be rewarded for that (though I'm sure AT&T's argument is that we ARE being rewarded by being allowed to keep unlimited data instead of being forced to a tiered plan).

I think a lot of the complaints would subside some if AT&T would develop some sort of standardized policy that all customers operated under so that there is a semblance of consistency.
    I do agree with you that the policy should be clearly defined across the board. And that everyone, reps included should be given the same information. I hate to say it but the fact that there are different response given make the company look bad.

01-01-2012 12:56 PM
    one way to check if AT&T's metering is accurate on the unlimited plans, although it will not be quick, is to use the application 3G Watchdog. i have been using it on a Verizon phone since March 2011 and it has been fairly accurate. i have been using it side by side with Verizon's data widget. 3G Watchdog has consistently been around 10-20MB higher than Verizon's meter. i actually can't remember a time when Verizon's meter was higher than 3G Watchdog.
    01-01-2012 08:22 PM
    I have been running that app for just under a month and it is very close to what my att account usage is showing

01-01-2012 11:46 PM
    I hit 2gb of usage today and got the text and promptly throttled. It's frustrating to say the least.
    01-09-2012 07:52 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD