Shame on ATT.

NativeTxn

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Oh okay, I was on unlimited plan, but switched to Verizon, hated it and switched back to at&t, glad I did now cause I use the hotspots on my phone to play Xbox live, I can deal with paying a little extra a month rather than my data speeds being slowed, but still that's b.s. the people grandfathered to the unlimited plan shouldn't get slowed down like that! :mad:

I agree

zero.

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I was a bit off on the data package sizes, flame me. However, my gripe is that I have unlimited data. If you advertise certain high speeds for this phone, you shouldn't be able to throttle people who supposedly have no data cap. Its garbage! My old iPhone 3G S had a better speed test than my skyrocket did when I was being capped.

gawd, i swear... is customer allegiance worth *anything* anymore?

i passed on the VZW GN for, among other reasons, preserving my unlimited ATT data, and ive stayed with ATT since the 90's. now I'm seeing this throttling which actually can make things nearly unusable. now im wondering if i have anything worth staying for. problem is, i dont trust VZW as far as i can throw 'em. ugh... what to do?

WickR1

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I've had Unlimited data since AT&T was Cingular, i used 6.5GB last month and never recieved a txt from them. So i wonder what they base their numbers on

Didn't read the whole thread, but I started with Cingular as well, we've been "grandfathered" in with unlimited. So we'll never get that text, no matter how much we use.

snowmangoh

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Didn't read the whole thread, but I started with Cingular as well, we've been "grandfathered" in with unlimited. So we'll never get that text, no matter how much we use.

Erm... maybe you should have read the whole thread. It's the people who are grandfathered in who are complaining. I'm grandfathered in too and am not too thrilled about possibly getting The Text.

NativeTxn

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

It's actually the people on the tiered plans that will never receive "The Text" no matter how much they use because they will just be charged for every GB they go over their plan allowance.

The ones that have the grandfathered unlimited plans are the folks subject to being throttled, prior to which they receive said text.

As of now, there seems to be no consistency as to who gets the texts and at what levels of data usage. Some have said they received it as low at 1.5 GB or so, and others do not receive it even after using 6+ GBs. Supposedly, it is based on market region so someone in Dallas might be able to use 5 GB with no issue, while someone in NYC might get throttled at 3.5 GB, just about any variation in between.

That is a one of the main complaints - i.e. there seems to be no rhyme or reason or consistency to who gets throttled, and at what data usage levels they get throttled, in most cases.

The other main complaint is that someone with unlimited data should be able to use that data at the fastest speed available to them; however, throttling flies in the face of that opinion (even though you technically can still use as much data as you want, there is just the possibility that you might be using that data at drastically reduced, and in reality, uselessly slow speeds). The argument continues in that it's not out (the customers) fault that we paid for unlimited data when it was available and have stayed an AT&T customer long enough to see that end as an option for new customers - in fact, some might say we should be rewarded for that (though I'm sure AT&T's argument is that we ARE being rewarded by being allowed to keep unlimited data instead of being forced to a tiered plan).

I think a lot of the complaints would subside some if AT&T would develop some sort of standardized policy that all customers operated under so that there is a semblance of consistency.

PewterL31

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
It's actually the people on the tiered plans that will never receive "The Text" no matter how much they use because they will just be charged for every GB they go over their plan allowance.

The ones that have the grandfathered unlimited plans are the folks subject to being throttled, prior to which they receive said text.

As of now, there seems to be no consistency as to who gets the texts and at what levels of data usage. Some have said they received it as low at 1.5 GB or so, and others do not receive it even after using 6+ GBs. Supposedly, it is based on market region so someone in Dallas might be able to use 5 GB with no issue, while someone in NYC might get throttled at 3.5 GB, just about any variation in between.

That is a one of the main complaints - i.e. there seems to be no rhyme or reason or consistency to who gets throttled, and at what data usage levels they get throttled, in most cases.

The other main complaint is that someone with unlimited data should be able to use that data at the fastest speed available to them; however, throttling flies in the face of that opinion (even though you technically can still use as much data as you want, there is just the possibility that you might be using that data at drastically reduced, and in reality, uselessly slow speeds). The argument continues in that it's not out (the customers) fault that we paid for unlimited data when it was available and have stayed an AT&T customer long enough to see that end as an option for new customers - in fact, some might say we should be rewarded for that (though I'm sure AT&T's argument is that we ARE being rewarded by being allowed to keep unlimited data instead of being forced to a tiered plan).

I think a lot of the complaints would subside some if AT&T would develop some sort of standardized policy that all customers operated under so that there is a semblance of consistency.

I do agree with you that the policy should be clearly defined across the board. And that everyone, reps included should be given the same information. I hate to say it but the fact that there are different response given make the company look bad.

Sent from my Samsung Skyrocket

flipteg

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
one way to check if AT&T's metering is accurate on the unlimited plans, although it will not be quick, is to use the application 3G Watchdog. i have been using it on a Verizon phone since March 2011 and it has been fairly accurate. i have been using it side by side with Verizon's data widget. 3G Watchdog has consistently been around 10-20MB higher than Verizon's meter. i actually can't remember a time when Verizon's meter was higher than 3G Watchdog.

PewterL31

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I have been running that app for just under a month and it is very close to what my att account usage is showing

zero.

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Once you get throttled you go to EDGE they dont even let u onto 3G.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

this is SO ironic.

i am with ATT off contract for more years than i can count, and have intended to stay with them for my "unlimited" data.

but this is a clear reason to leave ATT. i can pay for more data if i cross a threshold, but i cannot pay my current rate for a non 3G connection. ever. screw that. just man up and reconfigure your plans, ATT. none of this passive aggressive two face BS. ive lost any remaining allegiance and will look for contract phones elsewhere.

guess i'll miss the new Sony, but hey i'm already missing the Nexus.

zero.

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
News you can use:
note my post above.

called ATT this morning and explained i am out of contract, with ATT for years, considering a new contract phone, but cannot consider ATT with the EDGE throttling issue (which, in case you hadn't thought of this, will last you the entire rest of the month once you cross 2GB and are among the top 5% of bandwidth users). i said it's a dealbreaker, and i just want the information about how and when this happens, and any associated policies.

level 1 csr listened, appreciated my directness and politeness, and xfer'd me.
level 2 csr (for account closures i believe) listened and explained how it happens. which is exactly as victims in this thread described. then she offered a solution, because i said the real concern was losing ALL high speed, even on 3G.

her solution for me, already implemented:
1) $10 off my unlimited texting (normally $20). ok, that's good since my bill is already below $90, so now i'm below $80 (450 plan on iP 3GS).
2) when signing a new contract discontinue 'unlimited' data (for $30/mo) and buy tiered data which is 2GB/mo for $25 + $10 per GB over 2GB.

so, once i get the contract i will save a total of $15/mo on my plan if i stay under 2GB/mo usage (which i will... don't really use much data, but of course that could change with a 4G phone). but, the fact remains that i may not sign again with ATT. until the Sony shows up, there's nothing in their contract phone lineup that has my attention.

this solution may be available to you if you spend 15-20 mins on the phone with them. go to their wireless site and get number for account cancellation... it will start you off on the right foot.

cliffs:
i'm off contact and i just got $10/mo off merely my mentioning the throttling problem. drop 'unlimited' data for tiered, and save $5/mo up to 2GB, no throttling after. :D

NativeTxn

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
News you can use:
note my post above.

called ATT this morning and explained i am out of contract, with ATT for years, considering a new contract phone, but cannot consider ATT with the EDGE throttling issue (which, in case you hadn't thought of this, will last you the entire rest of the month once you cross 2GB and are among the top 5% of bandwidth users). i said it's a dealbreaker, and i just want the information about how and when this happens, and any associated policies.

level 1 csr listened, appreciated my directness and politeness, and xfer'd me.
level 2 csr (for account closures i believe) listened and explained how it happens. which is exactly as victims in this thread described. then she offered a solution, because i said the real concern was losing ALL high speed, even on 3G.

her solution for me, already implemented:
1) $10 off my unlimited texting (normally $20). ok, that's good since my bill is already below $90, so now i'm below $80 (450 plan on iP 3GS).
2) when signing a new contract discontinue 'unlimited' data (for $30/mo) and buy tiered data which is 2GB/mo for $25 + $10 per GB over 2GB.

so, once i get the contract i will save a total of $15/mo on my plan if i stay under 2GB/mo usage (which i will... don't really use much data, but of course that could change with a 4G phone). but, the fact remains that i may not sign again with ATT. until the Sony shows up, there's nothing in their contract phone lineup that has my attention.

this solution may be available to you if you spend 15-20 mins on the phone with them. go to their wireless site and get number for account cancellation... it will start you off on the right foot.

cliffs:
i'm off contact and i just got $10/mo off merely my mentioning the throttling problem. drop 'unlimited' data for tiered, and save $5/mo up to 2GB, no throttling after. :D

I would suggest that you assume you will go over 2GB per month. Up until I got the SR, the most I had ever used on a phone was about 0.5 GB a month (I had never gone over 1 GB) and I have had iPhones, Blackberries, and the Inspire. In my first full billing cycle with the SR, I am at 2,703.5 MB (so just over 2.7 GB) of data used with about 6 days left in my billing cycle (I'm in DFW and so far, no text - knock on wood).

Granted, some of that is due to the "newness" factor and running a lot of Speedtests around the DFW area, but even without that, I doubt that I would have stayed under 2 GB (and I don't stream movies or music really at all). I suspect that in a more "normal" cycle, I would be somewhere between 2 and 3 GB.

That being said, if you went to a 2GB tiered plan, and only went over by 1 GB, then it sounds like you'd still be $5 or so better off than now, and you wouldn't have to worry about the ridiculous throttling issue.

zero.

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I would suggest that you assume you will go over 2GB per month. Up until I got the SR, the most I had ever used on a phone was about 0.5 GB a month (I had never gone over 1 GB) and I have had iPhones, Blackberries, and the Inspire. In my first full billing cycle with the SR, I am at 2,703.5 MB (so just over 2.7 GB) of data used with about 6 days left in my billing cycle (I'm in DFW and so far, no text - knock on wood).

Granted, some of that is due to the "newness" factor and running a lot of Speedtests around the DFW area, but even without that, I doubt that I would have stayed under 2 GB (and I don't stream movies or music really at all). I suspect that in a more "normal" cycle, I would be somewhere between 2 and 3 GB.

That being said, if you went to a 2GB tiered plan, and only went over by 1 GB, then it sounds like you'd still be $5 or so better off than now, and you wouldn't have to worry about the ridiculous throttling issue.

i certainly agree. the first csr tried to compare my 3GS usage to ensure me the throttling wouldn't be a problem. i laughed (real lol). apples and oranges again.

actually, looking better yet is VZW's double data deal, but that isnt consistently available last i checked. i wouldnt hesitate to leave for VZW except for my history with which held me back. maybe i should start accepting their high CS ratings and forget my history.

PewterL31

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
If u go over on the 2gb plan its $10/1gb. Its the same price as the 4gb plan. So unless u want to tether and/or need 4gbs its cheaper to stay on the 2gb plan.

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Well, it's my turn now. I got the text last night and quickly checked my MyATT app...3.75 GB was the trigger for me. My text didn't say I was being throttled, it stated I was approaching the top 5% and was in jeopardy of being throttled.

My cycle ends on the 29th. So, on the 27 and 28th I will be shutting off WiFi and streaming my music from the cloud while running slingbox and as many speedtest as I possibly can. I don't care if it's E, 3G or LTE for those last couple of days but I'm gonna go ahead and hog up as much bandwidth as I can at the end of my cycle just to prove a point.

Will they care...probably not?!?! Will I care...yup?!?!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante