73 123
tools
    Just received this text..
    12-04-2011 05:46 AM
    how much u use?

Sent from your mom's phone.
    12-04-2011 05:48 AM
    Not even 5g.

Earlier, it took me 3 minutes to download an app that was only 854kb with full 4G. Lol. Notice how it says UNLIMITED..
    12-04-2011 08:30 AM
    LOL "unlimited" is in reference to how much, not how fast...
    12-04-2011 01:07 PM
    Damn super throttle.

12-04-2011 01:27 PM
    shansmi,

I understand that. However, I bought the skyrocket for the higher speeds. I mean, they offer plans in 2 and 5gb.. I'm under 5, so why throttle my speed? You can't tell me I've downloaded more them 95% of ATT users. 5 gigs isn't a lot.. And i'm even under that.

I think i'm going to place a call to customer service and ask for specifics.
    12-04-2011 02:34 PM
    Look at ur usage in the pic u posted ur almost at 5gb

Sent from my SAMSUNG-Skyrocket using Tapatalk
    12-04-2011 02:38 PM
    I'm almost, but not over.
    12-04-2011 03:11 PM
    I received the same text message on friday.

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket using Tapatalk
    12-04-2011 11:18 PM
    Did you find out what the issue is/was?
    12-05-2011 01:35 AM
    I got similar texts and so did a friend of mine. I noticed that they seem to have artificially inflated my data usage (it's waaaaaaay higher than it normally is and my usage behavior hasn't been any different). I brought it up on the official at&t wireless forums with no resolution so far (they apparently have no idea what is going on).
    12-05-2011 07:54 AM
    I haven't downloaded any torrents or anything. I also use wifi at my house, and its always on.. So I don't see where i've used 5gb. Rarely do I watch videos or stream music.. So I don't see 5gb. I used to tether my iPad from my iPhone and I never went over 3gb. Something is up.
    12-05-2011 08:29 AM
    they offer plans for 2GB and 4GB. not 5GB...
    12-05-2011 08:54 AM
    Yea, I have come to the conclusion that they either have an error in their calculator for the LTE data plans (unlimited), they have something on the phones pushing data out (unlikely since I am on wifi the majority of the time anyway) or this is a ploy to kill the people still on unlimited using artificially inflated numbers. Either way, I am not too happy about it and will dispute it even if it means getting out of my contract and taking all three smartphones I have on my plan to Sprint or Verizon. I have checked my past data usage and the highest I went was 1.6 GB in a month (only twice in the past 6 months, the rest were all at around 1 GB).
    12-05-2011 08:56 AM
    This throttling nonsense did it for me. I'm leaving AT&T for Verizon and getting a Galaxy Nexus. AT&T coverage sucks in my area, and the only reason I was going to stay on AT&T and get a Skyrocket was my grandfathered unlimited data. With throttling, it's actually *worse* than having a tiered plan. I can handle the occasional surcharge if I go over, but not having access to reasonable data speeds is inexcusable. There's simply no reason for me stay. Nice job, Big Blue.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    12-05-2011 09:55 AM
    This peaked my interest so I looked into my own data usage and usage history.

I've been on unlimited data since the iPhone (E) through iPhone 3g (3g), Nexus One (3g), Atrix (4g/hspa+) and now the SkyRocket (4g/lte) and on very few occasions have I even broken 2GB a month.

ATT's website only allows me to go back through my data to May 2010. On average over the 18 months from May '10 - October '11 I used 1.17GB/month. Only one month did I go over 2GB (Nov '10 = 2.1 GB). There was no noticeable difference in usage from Nexus One to Atrix (3g to 4g). It wasn't until you look at the usage from Oct '11 to Nov '11 that you see a difference. In the month that I've had the SkyRocket I have supposedly used 3.7GB of data and 778 MB in the past 7 days. The 778MB puts me on track to use another 3.4GB this month...2.9X my normal/historical usage.

As many of you have mentioned, I too have not changed anything regarding my usage patterns. I have the same accounts set up, widgets are set to check on the same frequency, etc, etc, etc.

I haven't received a data overage warning but this does seem a little suspect to me. While checking my usage history I checked the other phones on our account and noticed that my wife used over 6GB one month and she never received a warning message. This begs to question what is the trigger that prompts the warning message.

I posted over on the other AT&T LTE page (HTC Vivid) to see if any of them have gotten the message or noticed abnormal additional data usage.
    Data Overages

I'm going to keep a close eye on my usage and will be calling AT&T every couple of days to see what is going on.
    12-05-2011 02:27 PM
    I've had Unlimited data since AT&T was Cingular, i used 6.5GB last month and never recieved a txt from them. So i wonder what they base their numbers on
    12-05-2011 03:50 PM
    See, ATT is a joke. I've never used more than 2gb.. And now i'm at 5?

By the way, I put my girlfriends sim card in my old 3G S and it scored higher on the speed test than my skyrocket (and I had full 4g).

Luckily, a new billing period starts tomorrow.
    12-05-2011 04:32 PM
    As many of you have mentioned, I too have not changed anything regarding my usage patterns. I have the same accounts set up, widgets are set to check on the same frequency, etc, etc, etc.
    Unless AT&T is committing blatant fraud, this has to be an issue with the Skyrocket. To run up that much data use in such a short time, you'd pretty much have to be streaming tons of audio/video. However, if the Skyrocket was constantly pulling data of some kind on its own or ceaselessly checking for updates, it could add up.
    12-05-2011 05:06 PM
    everyone install traffic monitor from the market. its a free widget that tracks data usage. both wifi and cellular. its been pretty accurate for me the last two months. compare that to atts numbers. its been spot on for me so far. only 1mb off from what att said i used.
    PScales17 likes this.
    12-05-2011 07:18 PM
    I put Onavo on last night to start tracking this just to see if there is something out of control. I am out of town right now so have been on cellular data all day. I am at 40MB total. Will see how this progresses the rest of the month. It still doesn't jive with my past usage for the previous 3 years. Ah well, I had already been contacted by an at&t rep who was going to get with me if I hit the top 5%.
    12-05-2011 07:24 PM
    everyone install traffic monitor from the market. its a free widget that tracks data usage. both wifi and cellular. its been pretty accurate for me the last two months. compare that to atts numbers. its been spot on for me so far. only 1mb off from what att said i used.
    I've actually been using this for the past week and i really like it. I like how it seperates wifi from radio. I wish it could keep past months and not just month data. But hey, like you saif , it is accurate.

12-06-2011 06:33 AM
    I used about 4GB last month, and so far they haven't sent anything. They're throttling because they are trying to eliminate the grandfathered unlimited data plans.
    Corporate greed, that's AT&T for ya...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    12-07-2011 01:58 AM
    I don't understand how they can legally do this to us. Doesn't that constitute a material change to the contract? Shouldn't we be able to leave without an ETF if they do this to us?
    12-18-2011 10:00 AM
    Its in the Contract

Sent from my Samsung Skyrocket
    12-18-2011 09:08 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD