Question for AFTER the Skyrocket gets Ice Cream Sandwich

Kalifornia

Dude
Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I am torn right now between getting a SR on AT&T or waiting until the Galaxy Nexus gets announced...if ever. I change decisions daily (hourly) but I am right now leaning towards the SkyRocket since hardware-wise it seems to be a superior phone (resolution excluded) and it will get ICS in the earlier part of next year supposedly.

My question however is around the camera. Will the zero lag time on the shutter speed be possible on the SR when the OS is upgraded or is this a hardware capability? The Galaxy Nexus does this very well but I wasn't sure if it was the phone or the OS that enabled this capability.

Thanks in advance.

Kalifornia

Dude
Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Agreed and thanks for the advice but that question is just one of many features I am thinking about to help determine which phone to go with.

This one is important to me because of my 18 month old son and the need to be able to quickly capture a photo of him when I want. I always have my phone with me...can't say that about a camera, so the camera feature is actually an important one in my selection criteria. I can't tell you how many times I am a few seconds late due to the shutter lag with my Captivate.

topprospect001

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
My opinion, coming from iPhone 4: the skyrockets camera impresses me with its startup and capture speed, not image quality.

Sent from my SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

dayale

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Agree you should optimize your phone as a camera when possible. That said, if you grade the quality of photos that I have seen on the SR vs iPhone from 0 to 100, I'd say SR is 50 vs iPhone 60. But with a small child and if you are someone who cares for quality then get a real camera which you may already have. The camera on the phone is a last resort for me. It is not just the megapix. A used 6 mpix slr will outperform any phone any day. I would not bank my children's childhod photos on my phone regardless of which phone i have. 90% of my children's photos are shot by an old dslr and i am glad i did. BTW, got wife and myself each a SR for $149, switched from iPhone 3g. We love our SR, although we used and still use Apple's MacBook pro and ipad. I think the SR is simply a better phone overall. Good luck making your decision.

Kalifornia

Dude
Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I hear you. I actually have a Canon 50d that I use for important photos. My cell phone is just to capture the quick moments when I don't have easy access to my DSLR.

MAGiK9

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Just to clear a few things up..

You would think that a 6MP camera would produce better images than a 5MP one but that is not always the case.

Mega pixels are a measure of quantity (the amount of data captured), not quality. A digital camera's image quality is not based solely on mega pixels, but on an entire system. More important than the number of pixels is the actual pixel size. The bigger the pixel size the better they can record detail in the shadows and highlights. Larger sensors generally produce greater dynamic range, higher sensitivity, and better signal-to-noise ratio, mostly because they have room for bigger, more light-sensitive pixels.

So instead of just going for the largest mega pixel count when comparing cameras, ask about other important factors such as image quality.