I got my Skyrocket a week and a half ago and couldn't get ANY kind of voicemail setup. When I tried to set it up I got some automated AT&T message that asked me to enter my voicebox number? I'm new to AT&T. Any who, I just tried to call into it and the AT&T visual voicemail app popped up and all of the sudden it works. I did a test call from a land line and was able to leave a message and then retrieve it from the Visual Voicemail app.

But when I try and go into settings, call, voicemail service, and then choose Google Voice, I get a popup that says "Error, Change to new provider?" and I click Yes. It says "Updating settings", and then says, "Error, Forwarding number change failed."

Does AT&T block Google Voice? This is my guess. Maybe they don't want that on their network and instead force the Visual Voicemail app on you? It doesn't seem like a bad voicemail app, it's a watered down GV pretty much. But I would like to use GV.
    12-21-2011 03:06 AM
    It works just fine. I've been using since release day. I ran into the same problem and can't remember the work around.

If memory serves me correctly I went to GV on my computer and reactivated my phone from there. It will give you a string of numbers to enter into your phone dialer and viola!

Good luck...I promise ya it works!
    TvTechGuru likes this.
    12-21-2011 06:20 AM
    You need to activate forwarding to Google Voicemail from entering the code from the GV website--the voicemail service selector on the phone doesn't work. Go to GV settings and click "activate Google voicemail on this phone" and it will tell you the code to enter.
    TvTechGuru likes this.
    12-21-2011 07:30 AM
    I had the same problem initially. I had to log into the website, go to Voice Settings, and edit cell phone. I had to click "Check Carrier" because it was still showing Verizon. Then I clicked activate voicemail for this phone. Basically the code you enter tells AT&T (or whoever) to forward missed calls to a certain number, in this case your GV number.

I'm not sure if it would've worked from the phone settings after I did the Check Carrier thing, since I was already on the website I just did everything from there.
    TvTechGuru and silverdemon like this.
    12-21-2011 09:12 AM
    Thanks everyone!! It worked!! It took some tinkering on the GV website. I did change carrier. It wanted me to deactivate my old Verizon one, obviously I can't do that. Don't have the phone or service. But when I changed carrier on the site, then did an activate and it finally took. Did a test call from my land line and left a voicemail. It worked! I appreciate all of your help!
    jess.hickey likes this.
    12-21-2011 09:51 AM