how to remove att visual voicemail

SEARogue

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone, so, I had my (ATT) Visual Voicemail setup and working fine on my Galaxy Skyrocket S II, then it showed there was an update, so I did it and now even after working with an ATT support tech for a couple of hours, the only way to fix it (she said) is to backup my phone and do a Master Reset. I figured before I wipe out my phone, I would look through the forums and found this thread. Any ideas, suggestions etc? The post by weaselnose is interesting to remove that app, but how or where would I find it again to reinstall it and NOT do the update? Also, if I do a backup, will it actually backup ALL my stuff or will I be forced to re enter some stuff?
Thanks in advance !

SEARogue

Last edited:

adammcgovern

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
@Searogue: I would definitely not reset my phone over an issue like vm support. That seems to be their default advice for a lot of issues and it is normally not necessary. Maybe if your phone is acting really buggy and you are over your 30 days. I've done it before on my old phone and even backing up what you can will not eliminate the need to tweek some things after the reset. Although I don't know the answer to your post I just wanted to let you know what I think about resetting your device. I use YouMail and have been since my blackberry days. I find it to be really customizable. I honestly don't know how customizable att's visual voicemail is but YouMail is my preference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SEARogue

SEARogue

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
gov,
Thanks for your reply :) exactly why I posted to this thread... I REALLY don't want to do a reset on my phone.
I'll look into YouMail first chance I get, still hoping to get a reply with an answer of how to replace it.

Cheers!

adammcgovern

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Also SEARogue in order to better help you what is the problem you are having? I'm sure there are a ton of vvm issues, but what was/is yours specifically? I'm interested in case I ever have to use it. I guess that's why we have these forums right? Like g.i Joe always said, "knowing is half the battle".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

SEARogue

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
My original post:
Hi everyone, so, I had my (ATT) Visual Voicemail setup and working fine on my Galaxy Skyrocket S II, then it showed there was an update, so I did it and now even after working with an ATT support tech for a couple of hours, the only way to fix it (she said) is to backup my phone and do a Master Reset. I figured before I wipe out my phone, I would look through the forums and found this thread. Any ideas, suggestions etc? The post by weaselnose is interesting to remove that app, but how or where would I find it again to reinstall it and NOT do the update? Also, if I do a backup, will it actually backup ALL my stuff or will I be forced to re enter some stuff?
Thanks in advance !

SEARogue

gzbsds

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I use youmail instead of Visual Voice. If you do spend the extra money and get the app "Better Youmail". With youmail, you have this function called ditch mail. This allows you to ditch selected phone numbers. Also, you can set different greeting messages to different phone number. For some reason, my phone got switch over to Visual Voice mail. I switch back to you mail. I think when I root my SR I'll remove almost all of ATT apps.

philipmueller

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Visual Voice Mail is provisioned by ATT, I am not sure that you can get rid of the app without rooting it, But, if you can get a rep to remove it from your line and put basic voice mail on, you will probably not have to deal with it.

1fas1984z28

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
idiot that will break the phone

---------- Post Merged at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:47 PM ----------

Root first. Then using an app such as root explorer, navigate to system/app and delete vvm.apk

Idiot that will break the phone!!

Wexal

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Recently something triggered the sleeping 'visual voicemail' beast to awaken. Now everytime I get a call vvm creates a request to upgrade. I changed the settings back to 'do not automatically update' and removed all updates from the application. Settings/Applications/Running - and stopped it. It worked for a while. Something is resetting it to automatic update. Am planning to call support in regard. I don't want the application and it's rooted by AT&T into my phone. It is also chargeable, which holds no interest or need. (Unable to delete.) I'm not rooting or resetting my phone.

Support isn't available to me at the moment. Will follow up. Has anyone else received anything from AT&T?

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
My wife is getting this same thing on her stock Skyrocket...thankfully on mine I no longer see it after rooting/flashing. Let me know what you find out about this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08