09-22-2014 12:35 PM
27 12
tools
    Hi All,

I've had my Skyrocket for about 2 months now and I love it!! Only problem is that I'm still trying to figure out how to extend my battery life. I've used JuiceDefender and that definitely has helped, but I'm wondering if anyone here has found a good extended battery.

I've seen the Powerskin which looks like it's pretty hefty and honestly haven't seen many reviews from people who've bought them.

Also, there's a bunch of 3500 or 3800mA extended batteries + altered battery covers out on eBay. Anyone have experience with these? I'm scared that these might just make my Skyrocket explode in a glorious burst of fire.

Appreciate hearing from anyone who has tried any of these extended batteries and has specific products in mind.

Thanks!
    01-06-2012 12:19 AM
    I'm in same quandary as OP with my Skyrocket battery life. A 3800mAh battery sure sounds good, but I'm concerned about safety.

EDIT: well, I just couldn't resist, so I ordered a 3800mAh battery. It came with a custom back cover - all for $11.39, which included shipping!

-
    01-06-2012 08:52 AM
    I'm in same quandary as OP with my Skyrocket battery life. A 3800mAh battery sure sounds good, but I'm concerned about safety.

EDIT: well, I just couldn't resist, so I ordered a 3800mAh battery. It came with a custom back cover - all for $11.39, which included shipping!

-
    The battery should be safe, I wouldn't have any serious worrys about using one, most the time when a phone explodes into flame its not the batterys fault, its usually a bad conection to the battery that causes it, so if your stock battery hasn't exploded all odd are you have no problem with connection. Just make sure and let us know how long a charge last when you get, I'm interested in buyin one as well.
    01-06-2012 10:25 AM
    Im using the powerskin, which is a case and a battery in one. I like it so far
    01-06-2012 09:00 PM
    How much extra battery life (in hours) do you normally get out of the powerskin?
    01-06-2012 09:18 PM
    The battery should be safe, I wouldn't have any serious worrys about using one, most the time when a phone explodes into flame its not the batterys fault, its usually a bad conection to the battery that causes it, so if your stock battery hasn't exploded all odd are you have no problem with connection. Just make sure and let us know how long a charge last when you get, I'm interested in buyin one as well.
    01-06-2012 11:43 PM

-
    01-06-2012 11:44 PM
    Just switched from iPhone4 to Skyrocket! Loved/after 2 days using ordered same extra. Battery 3800,Cover + charger -$15! Covers w/internal batteries 5x more.
    01-06-2012 11:50 PM
    Once you guys get your batteries, can you let us know how it works and looks?
    01-07-2012 12:22 AM
    Hi All,

I've had my Skyrocket for about 2 months now and I love it!! Only problem is that I'm still trying to figure out how to extend my battery life. I've used JuiceDefender and that definitely has helped, but I'm wondering if anyone here has found a good extended battery.

I've seen the Powerskin which looks like it's pretty hefty and honestly haven't seen many reviews from people who've bought them.

Also, there's a bunch of 3500 or 3800mA extended batteries + altered battery covers out on eBay. Anyone have experience with these? I'm scared that these might just make my Skyrocket explode in a glorious burst of fire.

Appreciate hearing from anyone who has tried any of these extended batteries and has specific products in mind.

Thanks!
    why dont you just get the spare battery? its small enough to even fit in your wallet and you wont need to replace the backdoor with it. plus extended battery gives you what? a 300 -400 more mAh? its not a big improvement just get the spare OEM one... thats what I always do with all my phones...
    also I would NEVER buy batteries off of ebay. this is the last place I'd search for the batteries (even OEM ones)
    01-07-2012 10:28 AM
    Actually the extended batteries are 3800 mAh which is more than double the original Skyrocket battery (another 2000 mAh) and you can get them on amazon as well as ebay. I guess at the end of the day it's just personal preference ... I don't really like pulling off the back cover and replacing the battery all the time. I'm more of a set it and forget it kind of guy
    01-07-2012 10:45 AM
    oh i see because when I initially got my skyrocket I was searching for a spare battery and remember seeing extended ones with being just around 400mah bigger... anyway its all about personal preferences.
    01-07-2012 10:49 AM
    Once you guys get your batteries, can you let us know how it works and looks?
    Second that. I got a extended battery for my captivate but it was not double the power but seemed to give me an extra hour of life. So I am interested in this battery for the skyrocket too.
    01-07-2012 11:53 AM
    Hey, I carry one of those Energizer "energy To Go" batteries in my backpack. It's basically a small rechargeable battery that comes with a bunch of adapters for attaching to various phones. When I forget to charge my phone at home, I just plug this thing into the phone and it charges it for me. Then when I get a chance, I recharge the device at home either by computer USB or a wall adapter.
    01-15-2012 02:37 PM
    I am absolutely loving my powerskin. It makes the phone last so much longer. The only downside is the bulk, so don't buy it if you have small pockets. It also adds quite a bit of weight to the phone, but its pretty comfortable to hold in one hand. The extra bulk also makes it more comfortable when playing a game in portrait. It also moves the micro usb port to the bottom left side of the phone, which is pretty nice. The buttons on the side of the phone are easy to press and I can still hear audio like there is no case on it. This was probably the best case I have bought for my phone and in no way do I regret buying it. Another thing to note is that the case takes forever to charge, but it is a huge battery so that is to be expected.

Sent from my Skyrocket.
    01-15-2012 06:35 PM
    thanks blweldon2 for the opinion on the powerskin. Been thinking of checking it out myself. Only thing holding me back now is the thought of upgrading this summer. Sony xperia Ion, Galaxy S3?
    01-15-2012 09:54 PM
    I like the galaxy note.

Sent from my Skyrocket.
    01-15-2012 11:51 PM
    do these batteries have NFC?
    01-16-2012 10:29 AM
    The skyrocket battery has an nfc chip inside of it.

Sent from my Skyrocket.
    01-16-2012 10:35 AM
    also change some of your settings, like check for updates and so forth and that will help out as well.
    01-16-2012 12:26 PM
    Well, I got my new 3800mAh battery from Hong Kong. It is charging now. I will post anecdotal results about longevity. It definitely added a little weight, maybe an ounce. Thickness increased from 11.4mm to 15.6mm, but that is only in the battery area. The new battery came with a new case, which fit on nicely. The install time is about 20 seconds, LOL.

I ordered this battery on Jan 6. I received it today, Jan 17. Not bad at 11 days shipping. I live in Rhode Island, USA.

TOTAL cost, including shipping, was $11.39. That's laughably cheap. Now, I hope I don't burn my house down. But honestly, the battery looked pretty darn good.

All in all, seems like a great deal.

Here's a couple of quick pics:

-
    01-17-2012 03:33 PM
    The skyrocket battery has an nfc chip inside of it.

Sent from my Skyrocket.
    i know .. i wanted to know if these non OEM batteries did as well..

i use my NFC everyday to enable and disable certain functions and tasks etc so i would like an extended battery to have NFC as well..

i dont know why Samsung just didn't build the nfc antenna as part of the hardware!!
    01-18-2012 09:43 AM
    Just wanted to follow up on my new 3800mAh battery from Hong Kong (pics and post above).

I charged it upon receiving it, but left it unplugged all last night and have used it today. The old battery would likely have been at ~40%. The new battery is still at ~77%.

I dislike the thicker case, however, one thing that I actually DO like is that the battery bulge in the case allows me to instantly assess (by feel alone) if the phone is right-side up or not as I take it out of my pocket.

-
    01-18-2012 02:08 PM
    I bought the same battery and it it also took 11 days to get it. My observation is similar to yours. By the end of work day, after moderate phone and internet usage I still have 65% juice left.
    However my main reason for buying the battery was I bought the Skyrocket used and the previous owner lost the battery door somewhere. So I needed a battery cover anyway, why not get the one with extended battery for less than 12 bucks shipped
    01-19-2012 03:13 PM
    Did any of you folks ever find a good protective case that would fit on an S II Skyrocket with one of these extended batteries?

Update: I've found two solutions.

1. Laza makes two products that work together: a pretty conventional-looking 3800 mA-hr battery with a replacement back-cover for the phone which they call a "Zcell," and a very nice protective hard plastic case which fits it. I bought them both, on eBay.

I like them. The phone is well-protected, and at 6 p.m. after a lot of talking on the phone it still had a 35% charge. With the stock battery I'd have been looking for a charger by mid-afternoon.

It looks to me like their case would also fit most other extended battery kits of the sort which have a "square bulge" replacement phone back. It would not fit the sort of extended battery kit which has the rounded replacement phone back.

Their battery w/ replacement phone back is pricey, but the protective case is only $20 (shipped) on eBay, or $15 + shipping on Amazon.

2. A "hybrid" case consisting of a hard plastic inner case, covered by a soft, stretchy, silicone (not TPU) outer case, available on eBay for $3.29.

I think that you could easily dremel a square hole in the plastic inner case to fit over the square bump on the replacement phone back in an extended battery kit, and then the stretchy silicone outer case would cover and protect it. Not a bad solution for $3.29!

Note: I tried to post a version of this comment with links to photos and where you can find the two cases and the Laza battery, but androidcentral won't let me post links. So if you want to see the links go here:
    tinyurl{dot}com{slash}i727case
    09-15-2014 08:47 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD