Newbie to android. Pre-purchase question.
    Does the AT&T version of skyrocket have USB on the go out of the box?

Thanks.
    01-07-2012 02:18 AM
    I'm not sure. do you mean connect peripherals to it? or just act as a usb flash drive?
    01-07-2012 10:35 AM
    It has a USB utility and the charge cable doubles as USB data cable

Sent from my Samsung Skyrocket
    01-07-2012 10:40 AM
    and that micro usb output has an optional adapter that allows it to connect to any HDMI cable for viewing the phone on a tv.
    01-07-2012 11:50 AM
    I can successfully connect it to hdmi on my TV and connect usb devices like flash drives, cameras, etc. to my skyrocket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    01-07-2012 01:22 PM
    Where I can connect a and read/write to a USB flash drive, usb hdd or keyboard even.
    Thanks.
    01-07-2012 09:27 PM
    I ordered a micro USB to USB female cable off of Amazon. Works great with my 500 GB external hard drive. I can use astro to copy files to and from it and watch movies that are on it. The cable was only $5.

LazrRocketArm likes this.
    01-07-2012 10:52 PM
    I ordered a micro USB to USB female cable off of Amazon. Works great with my 500 GB external hard drive. I can use astro to copy files to and from it and watch movies that are on it. The cable was only $5.

Awesome, to use the vernacular. I cant tell you how many times I've wanted to plug in a thumb drive to my iPhone. Not ever going to happen locked into apple.
    01-08-2012 12:20 PM
    Apple devices can use usb keyboards and cameras, but not near as well as Android devices do. I personally love being able to use a hard drive with my phone. And my 4 port hub works for more than 1 device. I keep a keyboard, mouse, and hard drive attached to my phone when I need them through a hub.

Sent from my battery draining Skyrocket.
    01-08-2012 12:54 PM
    blweldon2,

i bought the usb otg cable. but does not work on all of my flash drives. out of 6 only one works. and none of my external hdd's. works great on my son's galaxy s2 but not my galaxy s2 skyrocket. any suggetions? thanks
    01-13-2012 10:36 PM
    If the usb device draws a lot of power from the phone, the phone won't use it. My external hdd plugs into a wall outlet for power allowing my phone to use it. I have tried a numerous amount of flash drives and they all worked after a reboot of the phone. I only had to reboot the one time and now it always sees them. First couple connections also took a very long time to register on the phone.

txusmale likes this.
    01-13-2012 11:15 PM
    Root the phone and flash a rom/kernal with usb otg. There is one floating around on xda i believe
    01-14-2012 12:27 AM
    There is a little bit of everything floating around on xda.

01-14-2012 10:35 AM
    wow, ok, thanks!! i am real new to android and not to sure about the rooting process. i come from and long time iphone, 2g to 4s, and just changed to android. how do i know which kernal i need? thanks
    01-15-2012 10:09 PM
    just tried the rebooting, nope still nothing. funny thing is, is that i have 2 16gb sandisk cruzer's, both formatted exactly the same way. one works the other does not! mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    01-15-2012 10:19 PM
    I'd like to get an external USB keyboard to work with the Skyrocket. Has anyone tried that? If so, and it works, any recommendations for a nice, portable USB keyboard that's compatible with the Skyrocket?

The voice to text is nice, and the on-screen keyboards are OK for error-filled text messaging. But it's just not nearly as fast and accurate for me as a "real" keyboard for longer text entry.

I spend far too much time trying to get the cursor positioned accurately to allow edits. Too bad there are not left-arrow and right-arrow cursor movement keys so my fat fingers can get the insertion point where I need it to be while fixing the numerous errors I get.

Anyhow, I think an external keyboard would really make things a lot easier for me.

Thanks!

Sent from my home PC since I don't really like typing on the Skyrocket.
    02-10-2012 07:58 PM
    You can connect any USB keyboard to the skyrocket. I use a Dell keyboard with media keys to control my phones music player and volume

Sent from my Skyrocket.
    02-10-2012 10:44 PM
    I'd like to get an external USB keyboard to work with the Skyrocket. Has anyone tried that? If so, and it works, any recommendations for a nice, portable USB keyboard that's compatible with the Skyrocket?

The voice to text is nice, and the on-screen keyboards are OK for error-filled text messaging. But it's just not nearly as fast and accurate for me as a "real" keyboard for longer text entry.

I spend far too much time trying to get the cursor positioned accurately to allow edits. Too bad there are not left-arrow and right-arrow cursor movement keys so my fat fingers can get the insertion point where I need it to be while fixing the numerous errors I get.

Anyhow, I think an external keyboard would really make things a lot easier for me.

Thanks!

Sent from my home PC since I don't really like typing on the Skyrocket.
    If you use Swype, there are directional arrows.

Open up your Swype keyboard. At the bottom left there is a Swype settings key. Swype from that to the SYM key. Enjoy :-)

02-12-2012 12:31 PM
    I've got to try that Swype thing. I never have.

Meanwhile, I got a micro USB to "normal" USB female adapter and it's working fine with my thumb drives. Now to try a keyboard! That's what I'd really like to have.

It sounds like you can also use a USB hub. I wonder if I can connect a powered USB hub (you know, the kind with a wall wart to provide extra power that the PC might not be able to cough up) and then run power-hogging USB devices like the little hard drives that draw all of their power from the USB port. Gotta try that!

And assuming that works, then one also wonders if the phone would be charged while connected to a powered hub.

Hmmm. Sounds like someone needs to give this the "smoke test" and report back.
    cttroutt likes this.
    07-25-2012 12:07 AM
    I still don't know why in the hell anybody would want to do that with any phone or tablet. Just post it on Facebook, or download it to your computer. I've got 3 HDMI ports on my TV and they are all busy.
    07-30-2012 11:46 AM
    OK. My phone does seem to work great with an external keyboard. It even works if I use an old 7 port powered (wall wart) hub. So I figure I could have a keyboard and an external HDD that draws power from the USB port connected. I need to try that this weekend.

Now here's the kicker:

I'd love to have the phone's battery be charged from the powered hub while I've got various external devices plugged in. That would provide something like having a "dock" arrangement except that the display would obviously still just be the phone.

To do this, I'd need to get into the hub and rewire it so that the USB port that the host device (in this case, the phone) plugs into receives power from the hub's 5V supply. As it is, of course the hub only provides power out all of the slave ports which makes perfect sense.

My question would be: How does the phone determine whether it is going to supply or use power from a device plugged into its USB port? Obviously, the phone charges fine whenever I plug it into my PC or any of the various chargers. And those devices presumably do nothing more complicated than supply 5V on the 5V line in the USB interface.

The chargers are not "smart" in any way. It's the phone that's doing all of the decision making, and the battery probably contains a battery management IC that controls charging.

So I'd like to rewire my old hub and then see if it'll charge the phone while in use. But I'd rather not let the magic smoke out of the phone. And even if it doesn't do any damage, one wonders if the phone would go into "slave" mode if it sees power coming from the USB port, but puts itself into "master" mode when it doesn't. Hopefully it's more complex and subtle and would let me do what I want.

I'd just like to be able to leave the phone connected to a keyboard, mouse, and hard drive for long periods and not have its battery die in the middle of things.

Who knows? Maybe there's already a USB hub thing that's designed to do just this.
    09-01-2012 04:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD