Wireless tethering

mrfr3sh2def

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

Is there any easy way to wirelessly tether my skyrocket to my galaxy 10.1 tab? I currently have a unlimited data plan and I am not trying to be forced into a tiered plan...especially when I only use 1-2 gbs a month in data. I would prefer not to.root my devices but if necessary I will as long as it can be undone. Anything you can do to help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

btc0526

I wish I worked at google
May 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes, but you do have to root. Rooting is easy and painless and can be undone, usually by the same program you rooted with. After that its one app and one click away

jdm-skyrocket

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Root alone won't get you wireless tether, you will have to find and flash a custom rom with that feature enabled. You could try the "wifi hot spot and tethering" from the market, they have a free trial so you can test to see if it works on your device before you buy.

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
After you root, you'll need something to freeze or uninstall TetheringManager.apk. I used RootUninstaller to freeze it, but I think Titanium Backup is also a favorite.

After that, you can use the native WiFi tethering in the phone w/o ATT raising a stink. No custom roms needed. In the few times I've used it, worked perfectly.

jdm-skyrocket

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the correction. Wish someone would have told me this when I was trying go get free wifi tethering, I had unlimited data, but dropped it for the tiered plan so I could use the wifi hotspot, lol but then again, I don't get throttled for going over 2GB anymore.

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the correction. Wish someone would have told me this when I was trying go get free wifi tethering, I had unlimited data, but dropped it for the tiered plan so I could use the wifi hotspot, lol but then again, I don't get throttled for going over 2GB anymore.

Haha. Your'e lucky. I got rid of my unlimited for the 200MB plan with my previous phone (Touch Pro 2). Now that I have LTE, I feel like an idiot for not keeping it.

jdm-skyrocket

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Don't feel bad when you go over that 2GB mark on unlimited plan at&t slows your connection speed way down, like super super slow, I couldn't live with slow connection speeds, but i guess if you dont use alot of data its cool but I use 10GB+ in a month and my towns not even on LTE yet, I fear when we get LTE my exrtra data usages are going to bankrupt me!! :-$

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
After you root, you'll need something to freeze or uninstall TetheringManager.apk. I used RootUninstaller to freeze it, but I think Titanium Backup is also a favorite.

After that, you can use the native WiFi tethering in the phone w/o ATT raising a stink. No custom roms needed. In the few times I've used it, worked perfectly.

used it yesterday with my ipad 2 works perfectly and hassle-free I used to have apps like open garden and such but for some reason my ipad had a hard time finding and connecting to my phone with them. with native WiFi tethering it connects immediatly. you can put a shortcut of it btw on the home screen it has a cool icon too.

mrfr3sh2def

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Would someone mind writing up a tutorial for this with appropriate links? I am glad it it is working for you but I also want it to work for me. I've checked out a few prior threads and a couple YouTube videos that made it seem rather complicated. All I want to do is tether my galaxy tab.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Iamdunne

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
clockwork mod tether (no root) application, just saw a review for it, haven't tried it, nor will I since I don't have unlimited data

mrfr3sh2def

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I just checked it out. Unfortunately, it is only a usb tethering app so I would be unable to tether to my Galaxy tab. I need a wifi tethering app or I assume to root my device.

devilsushi

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
PDAnet ($15.95) supports USB and Bluetooth tethering to a PC not too sure about supporting another tablet. wifi tethering is detectable by carriers and usually one would have to root or be using a third party rom to get around this. ClockworkMod's Tether ($4.99) also only supports USB and bluetooth tethering. Both require the phone to be in USB debugging mode and do not require root.

Here's a hands on of Clockworkmod's Tether app via youtube:
How to get FREE Tethering on any phone with ClockworkMod Tether (no root)

jdm-skyrocket

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Okay first off you don't need to download kies to get root, second the doomlord v2 exploit this guy says download is old, yes it may still work, but your taking a risk by trying, Samsung doesn't want us to root our phones, so when they hear someone found a way to root it they fix the next bacth of phone to be shipped out to block that root method, and Samsung did, so doomlord made v3 ( the version I used) well Samsung caught on and blocked that exploit to, so now we are up to v4. Here is the direct link to the page [04/Jan][ROOTING/UNROOTING] DooMLoRD's Easy Rooting Toolkit [v4.0](zergRush Exploit) - xda-developers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37