There are multiple apps that run in the background like the tetheringManager and the att hotspot and the built in email that android task manager app says are running. I can't uninstall them and killing them doesn't help... they turn right back on. what to do about this?
    01-18-2012 01:50 PM
    I would recommend you get Titanium Backup Pro which allows you to freeze apps, including all the Bloatware that comes on the SR by default. This prevents them from running at startup or at all while the phone is on. Then, when the time comes to upgrade to ICS you just unfreeze them and you are good to go.

Chris
    01-18-2012 01:53 PM
    One can root the phone to turn them off too - but I have not done this
    01-18-2012 05:02 PM
    Don't you have to be rooted to use titanium backup? I always root my new phones the same day I get them, I use titanium backup all the time, but I have never tried using it when I wasn't rooted.
    01-18-2012 05:05 PM
    I apologize, I assumed that it was 'natural' for anyone to want to root their Android. Yes, Titanium Backup does require your device to be rooted, but I think it's well worth it because of the ability to freeze OR uninstall the applications. Doing this has allowed me to increase the battery life and performance of my SkyRocket with spending only an hour working with it.

Chris
    01-18-2012 08:33 PM
    This is true, root is only way to go!
    01-18-2012 08:59 PM
    Do you guys know if anyone has created a recommended stock freeze list of the services or apps that are safe to freeze?
    01-19-2012 12:08 PM
    Got this list from over at XDA-Developers:

AccuWeather
    AllShare
    Amazon Kindle
    Ap Mobile
    AT&T Bar Code Scanner
    AT&T FamilyMap
    AT&T Live TV
    AT&T Ready2Go
    AT&T Hot Spots (Automatically logs into FREE AT&T Hot Spots)
    AT&T Navigator
    Buddies now
    City ID
    Clock 1.0
    Clock 1.1
    Dial Clock 1.0
    Days
    Digital Clock (if you are using another clock app)
    Dual Clock
    Featured Apps
    Home screen Tips
    Kobo
    Media Hub
    Memo
    Mini diary
    Mini paper
    MOG Music
    MYATT
    News & Weather
    NFS Shift
    PressReader
    SNS 1.5
    SNS disclaimer
    SNSAccountFb
    SNSAccountLi
    SNSAccountTw
    SnsImageCache
    Swype
    TalkBack
    Tethering Manager
    Visual Voicemail
    Yahoo! Finance
    YP
    Zinio

I froze all of those apps and then some. I've rebooted a few times and haven't seen any issues. I've seen a performance boost and a battery life boost though over the course of the last 24 hours.

Chris
    01-19-2012 12:23 PM
    Do you have a list for Sprint?
    01-17-2013 10:25 AM
    I apologize, I assumed that it was 'natural' for anyone to want to root their Android. Yes, Titanium Backup does require your device to be rooted, but I think it's well worth it because of the ability to freeze OR uninstall the applications. Doing this has allowed me to increase the battery life and performance of my SkyRocket with spending only an hour working with it.

Chris
    It's not, although some people love to pretend it is so. Root also bad for security. I never do it.

About that list...

AT&T Hot Spot: There is a setting in WiFi settings to stop it from notifying you about AT&T Hotspots or Automatically Logging into them. If you are in an Airport at in an LTE Market and they have AT&T Hotspots in that airport and you have an 8-12 hour travel day across different LTE Markets you do not want to be using LTE unless you want your phone to die. You want that hotspot, and you want to know it's there. An app running != it's running your battery down.

AllShare: See no reason why anyone would want to uninstall this unless they never stream to any other sources (PC, TV, BluRay Player, XB360, PS3, other phones).

Memo: Why would you disable this? It's like an iOS user disabling their Notes app.

Zinio, Kobo, and PressReader were never on my phone.

Social Hub does too much to go over, but I guess if you use Google's PIM and IM exclusively you can get by with removing it. It has one of the better social Widgets for Android, for this phone, so I use it religiously. Also uses less battery pushing Yahoo! and Hotmail than ActiveSync + Yahoo! Mail App, an the IM functionality is very efficient.
    01-18-2013 12:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD