What is packet data???

If I switch off background data. What can I or can't.I do

Sometimes when I get SMS from iPhone it comes with a play arrow symbol. But there is nothing to play. What gives

Thanks
    01-29-2012 02:30 AM
    Packet data is all your data whether it's HPSA+ or LTE, edge, etc... If it's unchecked, all your data is off. You'll still have cellular service for phone calls and SMS, but no data.

I'm not exactly sure what the background data thing is exactly, but it's not the same as having apps sync in the background which is the next option listed. I would leave it on.

For some reason, SMS does the whole mini video thing with the "play" icon on the thumbnail. Coming from an iPhone myself, I don't get it either, but they still send and receive like SMS I believe.
    01-29-2012 07:54 AM
    thanks for reply

i thought u couldnt turn off the data with this phone

if so i need to turn it off at times because i am only on a 200mb data plan and it seems like i am getting a lot of data charged for doing nothing out of the ordinary
    yesterday was my last day of cycle and i got a text saying that i went over 200 and i got charged another 200, i was like wtf

i did the *data# and it said i was still at 183, but throught out the day went to 193 and then 205, all before midnight of the last day cycle. I had the data off through that day.

today when i do the same check it still list me at 205 even though today is suposed to b e my new first day of cylce

im gonna complain of false reporting by att, and get my 15 bucks back,
    01-29-2012 11:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD