will this ever happen with this particular model or is there any hack for it at this moment?
    01-29-2012 11:50 AM
    There are a few custom ROMs out there that have limited NFC support. None work with google wallet yet though (AFIK). The owner's manual mentions that NFC will be enabled with a future software update, my guess is that means ICS.
    01-29-2012 12:54 PM
    What is nfc what does it do
    01-29-2012 02:53 PM
    Near field communication. Allows for data transfer between 2 close devices. Good example is Google wallet, where you can pay by sliding your phone across a special machine.

Sent from my Skyrocket.
    01-29-2012 02:54 PM
    There are a few custom ROMs out there that have limited NFC support. None work with google wallet yet though (AFIK). The owner's manual mentions that NFC will be enabled with a future software update, my guess is that means ICS.
    right... so the big question is when are we getting ICS? This is my first samsung phone and I heard this company is not very prompt with their updates... I'd love to be able to use google wallet...
    01-29-2012 03:39 PM
    I've been trying to find out how or if NFC can be activated on the stock ROM over at XDA for a while now. The only replies I seem to get are, "Flash one of the ROMS that has it" (which I don't want to do) and "just edit the settings.apk or framework.apk to make it work"..however, no one seems to be able to say HOW to edit these apks to make it work. I'm pretty sure they don't know how to either.

Not having "Google Wallet" is understandable. Google wallet requires a "secure eliment(sp?)" in order to make it work either built into the phone or through the SIM, the skyrocket currently doesn't have either one. However, just enabling NFC shouldn't be that difficult. The NEXUS Prime (verizon)people did it in less than a week after the phone released and it didn't even have to be rooted to make it work? The problem I am running into is the stock ROM is Odexed which makes it difficult to view and edit code. There are ways to do it (DeOdex, edit, then Re-Odex with APKTOOL, etc), but I havn't got them working yet. It just seems like the people that might know how to do it just aren't taking interest in it. Too bad really, because it would be nice to have it running on the stock rom like it should be in the first place.

Something else I noticed is that many people confuse NFC with Google Wallet. Google Wallet "uses" NFC for transactions. It is one of many apps that can use NFC. NFC is a standalone feature of a phone. It does not require Google wallet to run. AS I mentioned, google wallet also requires a secure eliment to work. SO even when we do get ICS from Samsung and AT&T, it still will not be enough to enable google wallet on the SkyRocket. AT&T would need to make avaialble Sims with secure eliment in conjunction with working NFC to make it work. And we will NEVER see this happen for Google wallet. When ISIS is launched, AT&T will probably make the Sims avaialble (if ISIS requires a secure eliment as well) but who knows what the limitations will be. Again, this is all a seperate issue from just enabling NFC.
    01-29-2012 06:27 PM
    ok thats more than i need my phone to do, how do i deactivate it , save some battery / data usage
    01-29-2012 07:28 PM
    No need to deactivate what isn't activated.

Sent from my Skyrocket.
    01-31-2012 06:43 AM
    it sucks to live in the country where you are constrained in many ways imposed on you by the corporations. while the majority of the world fully enjoying their consumer rights and have access to every feature that they are paying for with their hard earned money.
    01-31-2012 09:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD