map accuaracy garbage

vdubpower

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
More often then not when I press the map icon it always shows me a block away.com.where I am

Even when I put GPS on it does the same
Very sick of this crap

What to do

devilsushi

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
GPS Status & toolbox or GPSfix are great apps to acquire satellite triangulation faster. GPS Status downloads a-gps info to help get a quicker fix whereas GPSfix need to have a decent line of sight to the sky. This should get you closer to where you actually are on the map.

vdubpower

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
yeah but i shouldnt have to download other crap to have an accurate map, it should work as is

my basic iphone never had an issue

they are both google maps runing on the same att system

TaintedScar

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
More often then not when I press the map icon it always shows me a block away.com.where I am

Even when I put GPS on it does the same
Very sick of this crap

What to do

I experienced the same thing and I pretty much told my family not to trust it anymore when they want to locate me! Sometimes it shows me in Connecticut but I live in Texas! I still can't get over the same idea! GoogleMaps / Latitude works better on the iPhone than it does on Android!

Other than the lack of GoogleMaps / Latitude functioning, I'm liking every other aspect of the phone. Sometimes my coworkers/friends and family take quick shots at me because of the location services since they're all iPhone users but I like the customization factor more! I've gone through 38 years without location services so the feature isn't that important in my life!

Kuro

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Very strange. I used to count on GPS inaccuracies when taking pics / vids / checking in at home. The Rezound is the first phone I've ever owned that shows my exact street address.

What are your location settings? I have all 3 turned on and the wifi radio is turned off

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
After reading this post yesterday I had some quiet time last night and went to lattitude street view - showed me sitting right in my living room - spot on on my SR.

TaintedScar

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Very strange. I used to count on GPS inaccuracies when taking pics / vids / checking in at home. The Rezound is the first phone I've ever owned that shows my exact street address.

What are your location settings? I have all 3 turned on and the wifi radio is turned off

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

On mine, all 3 "My location" options are enabled.

• Use wireless networks - Checked
  • Use GPS satellites - Checked
  • Use sensor aiding - Checked

For the people that have no problems with Latitude showing their location correctly, are you using the Stock Rom or a Custom? Are you launching GoogleMaps and waiting for it to sync/update or does it immediately show you in the correct place? I've seen that when I launch GoogleMaps and wait for it to sync, it will eventually update me in the right location but I have to intervene. Using the background services and looking at the Latitude widget, the timestamp will show when it has updated by itself in the last 5-10 minutes but I may be in a different state! Launching GoogleMaps manually and watching it sync will correct the problem but there goes location services and background updating!

Reggie

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I've had no issues either using Navigon- but the past couple of weeks we have had the sun spots and the papers said they would effect GPS accuracy.

devilsushi

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Unlike the og Galaxy S the SiRF chipset is improved as even the Nexus S shared from the Galaxy S its GPS woes. In moderate cover I get within 3~10 meters of where I am. From cold boot to locating myself it takes less than a minute in an Urban Jungle like Downtown San Francisco or Los Angeles.

Areas with sparse GSM/ AT&T coverage may take a little longer for the map to update as the phone usually provisions aGPS before the GPS signal. Its an alternative but GPSfix only takes up 400kb and only helps speed the acquisition process.

Having done a little research but more reading and the iPhone uses the Broadcom chipset whereas Samsung, RIMM, Motorola and Sony been using SiRF. Not that it matters but its a whole mess or probable causes that mess with triangulation; location, density, carrier/wifi signal, and radio interference. Sun spots cause natural EM disturbance and wreaks havoc on all electronics, this could be the cause for some.

I digress...

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Unlike the og Galaxy S the SiRF chipset is improved as even the Nexus S shared the Galaxy S its GPS woes. In moderate cover I get within 3~10 meters of where I am. From cold boot to locating myself it takes less than a minute in an Urban Jungle like Downtown San Francisco or Los Angeles.

Areas with sparse GSM/ AT&T coverage may take a little longer for the map to update as the phone usually provisions aGPS before the GPS signal. Its an alternative but GPSfix only takes up 400kb and only helps speed the acquisition process.

Having done a little research but more reading and the iPhone uses the Broadcom chipset whereas Samsung, RIMM, Motorola and Sony been using SiRF. Not that it matters but its a whole mess or probable causes that mess with triangulation; location, density, carrier/wifi signal, and radio interference. Sun spots cause natural EM disturbance and wreaks havoc on all electronics, this could be the cause for some.

I digress...

Interesting, I had a lot of GPS problems with my SGS1 Epic but never with my Nexus S.

Sent from my Nexus S

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
For the people that have no problems with Latitude showing their location correctly, are you using the Stock Rom or a Custom? Are you launching GoogleMaps and waiting for it to sync/update or does it immediately show you in the correct place? I've seen that when I launch GoogleMaps and wait for it to sync, it will eventually update me in the right location but I have to intervene. Using the background services and looking at the Latitude widget, the timestamp will show when it has updated by itself in the last 5-10 minutes but I may be in a different state! Launching GoogleMaps manually and watching it sync will correct the problem but there goes location services and background updating!

I'm running stock and rooted. Location lock speed varies. Sometimes it is nearly instant (like by the time the map is done rendering, I see my location). Sometimes it takes like 20 sec. This is the case whether I have GPS on or not.

Do you have good reception? At home, I have WiFi. And when I go out and about in LA, my signal is usually pretty good (LTE or HSPA+).

vdubpower

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
just came to SF for one week conference and still can't get accurate map location
wtf
running lte also
even when I turn in GPS button still didn't do
so frustrated

Chrstauffe

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Mine is spot on as well. Almost too accurate. It can tell me what part of my house I am in within a few feet.
This is interesting since civilian GPS is suppose to be off by a few meters (don?t remember exact specs). Military GPS is supposed to be dead on.

I know that the GPS rules are or were suppose to be changed to make things more accurate for civilian usage due to a new law but I don't know if it went into affect yet.

As one of the others said I can sit on my couch and within a few seconds I can zoom right down to my living room and it shows where I am. I can also walk out to the deck on the opposite side of the house and it will follow me within a few feet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca