get it right away
    http://www.androidcentral.com/yet-an...ch-build-leaks

Remember our releases come from ATT which is always late in arriving. Don't blame Samsung. But the good news is that with the release by Samsung there will be pressure on ATT to make if for us.
    02-03-2012 11:45 AM
    I'm new to Android - came from BB a week ago. Still trying to get familiar with android OS before I move on to rooting. BB OS leaks were always very easy to install and almost never had significant issues. It didn't matter if it was a leak or an official OS released by any carrier, they would all work if it was for a particular device.

If I install any OS version not released by my carrier is that considered rooting? Also, I assume that the leak above shouldn't be installed on the i727. Am I right in thinking that an OS needs to be device-specific? If so, even a leak for the i777 shouldn't be installed on an i727 right? I'm still trying to learn how the vast number of different Android devices relate to OS versions.
    02-03-2012 12:36 PM
    rooting gives you ROOT or SUPER USER access to the phone and files. In other words, you get access to the things they don't want you to have access to. I did it so I could get titanium backup to backup the whole phone and eventually freeze some bloatware. Rooting is very easy.
    02-03-2012 12:47 PM
    Does that mean it isn't the same thing as installing a leaked OS?
    02-03-2012 02:06 PM
    Does that mean it isn't the same thing as installing a leaked OS?
    Altarocks I also come to SR from BB (9810). Rooting really has no BB equivalent. It isn't like updating the OS it's having access to the heart of it. If you root your phone you will still be on the same version of Gingerbread (2.3.5 or 2.3.6)

On BB we would take the bloatware that comes on a phone, move it to a folder and hide the folder. With Android rooting gives you access to the bloatware. You can use a program like Titanium Backup to "freeze" it (hides the program) or outright remove it (be careful with that - search this forum for warnings about doing this before you do it). We don't get to do those things with BB they would never allow this level of access to the OS. This I have done with my SR and it's very cool.

With rooting you can also completely replace the TouchWiz interface with ROM's, other interfaces other than Touchwiz made by folks who have absolutely nothing to do with Samsung or your phone - never possible with a BB. This requires a level of expertise I am not comfortable with yet having had my phone since Nov. Plus I think there isn't much out there for SR per se just yet.

When ICS comes out for the SR will more closely resemble what you are used to with BB/RIM
    Altarocks likes this.
    02-03-2012 03:50 PM
    Altarocks I also come to SR from BB (9810). Rooting really has no BB equivalent. It isn't like updating the OS it's having access to the heart of it. If you root your phone you will still be on the same version of Gingerbread (2.3.5 or 2.3.6)

On BB we would take the bloatware that comes on a phone, move it to a folder and hide the folder. With Android rooting gives you access to the bloatware. You can use a program like Titanium Backup to "freeze" it (hides the program) or outright remove it (be careful with that - search this forum for warnings about doing this before you do it). We don't get to do those things with BB they would never allow this level of access to the OS. This I have done with my SR and it's very cool.

With rooting you can also completely replace the TouchWiz interface with ROM's, other interfaces other than Touchwiz made by folks who have absolutely nothing to do with Samsung or your phone - never possible with a BB. This requires a level of expertise I am not comfortable with yet having had my phone since Nov. Plus I think there isn't much out there for SR per se just yet.

When ICS comes out for the SR will more closely resemble what you are used to with BB/RIM
    Thanks. I'm intrigued, but I'm gonna sit back a while and learn before I take the plunge and root. It's been a sometimes frustrating 1st week getting adjusted. I see lots of potential for doing more than I could on a BB, but at the same time many things take a few more steps than I'm accustomed to (at least for now). I have no doubt I'll soon be very pleased - just need to get over the initial shock Hoping ICS comes this month.
    02-03-2012 05:07 PM
    SU is actually support user and not super user.
    02-04-2012 05:27 PM
    We don't get to do those things with BB they would never allow this level of access to the OS.
    I also came from BB (9000, then 9700) to Android (SkyRocket).

You *could* get "that level of access" on your BB. You just use a program like Shrink-A-OS or the like.

I like this phone, but I still miss my keyboard. Oh, well. Can't have everything.
    02-04-2012 11:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD