Tether one phone to another

robbinh00d

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure this has been covered already somewhere but I cannot find ANY info on this.

I have a SkyRocket and my 10 yr old daughter has a Captivate which is NOT on my data plan. I'd like for her to be able to wirelessly tether to my phone while we're away from our wifi. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!!:D

blweldon2

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
You could enable wifi tethering on the skyrocket and the captivate will see it as a wifi hotspot. There are plenty of great guides on the internet on how to do this. :)

Sent from my Skyrocket.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
with wifi tethering on your phone you can tether up to 5 devices i believe. that includes any smartphones, tablets, laptop computers and even desktop computers. your phone basically acts like a router in your home. you have to be subscribed to the tethering plan or root your phone to use this feature without subscription (you're already paying for your data anyway)
edit:
last time i heard there are a few tethering apps not requiring root. you may want to check some threads on this forum.

Altarocks

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Tethering is different than hotspot. I'm used to BB, which handles tethering a little differently. A tablet or laptop can connect through a BB via bluetooth using tethering. Hotspot uses WiFi, not BT. If connecting a BB with a Playbook, there is also a 3rd connection option, Bridge (which is also BT, but doesn't require turning on any settings). Tethering speeds are slower than hotspot and faster than bridge, but tethering uses much less battery drain than hotspot. It also frees up all your BB device functions for use while tethering (some functions are limited while a phone serves as a hotspot).

It appears there is no such tethering option for the Skyrocket - tethering through it requires a physical USB connection. I haven't found a way to use it via bluetooth. It seems like the Skyrocket is pretty quirky when it comes to BT. But the hotspot is screaming fast :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34