Switch from iPhone 4S to Galaxy S II Skyrocket?

anthonyxo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone made this switch? The iPhone 4S is a solid phone, but I've grown bored of Apple and iOS after owning four generations of the iPhone. I've learned the ins and outs, hacked it up(well, however much we were allowed to at least) and customized the OS from top to bottom. I'm looking for something new to play with and the Skyrocket seems like the ideal device.

I'm looking for input from those with experience using both devices before I pull the trigger tonight and purchase a Skyrocket. My main concern however is going to be the screen quality of the Skyrocket in comparison to the 4S. I know it might be lacking, but is it that noticeable? Also, how customizable (broad question) is the Android in comparison to the iPhone when it comes to functionality customization?

blweldon2

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Everyone in my family has a 4s besides me. You really don't notice a difference between the quality of the screens. I actually think the skyrocket looks better. The skyrocket is much faster than my families iPhones and even iPad. Plus 4g is a great thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Xparent Green Tapatalk

nesto1

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Well I came from an iPhone 4 (same screen)

Honestly I can't tell a difference on the quality (I know there is a difference, just not noticable to me)

I think that the Skyrocket is definately a good phone to switch to. I love mine (after owning an iPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4) I don't think I'll go back to iOS unless they were to make an LTE iPhone(you know they will) and increase the screen size to at least 4.3"(not sure on this one)

My wife has a 4S and I can't stand using her phone. It fees so much slower and the screen is small(now when I owned an iPhone 4 I thought it was fine...how my eyes have been opened now with the 4.5" of screen goodness)

LTE is by far the best thing ever. I've done download test with both the SR and the 4S and it is easily 10-15 times faster on downloads.

Making the switch is not hard at all, just make sure you back your contacts into google from iTunes, and then you can restore them on to the phone.

Now, if you're still on the fence, wait a bit, the SR HD will be out soon which will have a 720p screen.

As for custimization, there is A LOT, jsut visit xda developers forums and look. I haven't rooted my phone yet(cause honestly I don't feel the need to), but mainly is it is a lot more involved than an iPhone jailbreak.

Personally I like how almost every app is viewable in landscape(something lacking on the iphone) and I like I can customize my home screens with apps that take up more than 1 slot(so it looks neat)

anthonyxo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Some very nice input here so far. The fact that I am thinking about purchasing the Skyrocket is due to the fact that I won't be purchasing it on contract, that's why I don't feel the need to wait for the HD. I'm going to be purchasing it from someone directly and will be handing my 4S down to a sibling. I just don't want to regret it.

nesto1

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
IF you are in an LTE area, I'd say go for it(you will miss the battery life of an Iphone though)

Here are some screen caps of my phone

I only have 3 home screens

Right
SC20120301-151141.png

Center
SC20120301-151138.png

Left
SC20120301-151144.png

jjb70

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Everyone in my family has a 4s besides me. You really don't notice a difference between the quality of the screens. I actually think the skyrocket looks better. The skyrocket is much faster than my families iPhones and even iPad. Plus 4g is a great thing.

I agree with blweldon about the screen and 98ex about the speed. I've owned both and I sold my 4s a few months ago due to lack of use. The Skyrocket screen looks much better IMO due to its rich color and deep deep blacks. iPhone looks washed out to me when I compare now.

Definitely the fastest phone I've ever owned too (of many many smartphones).

No question it will take some adjustment to get used to Android. But if you're bored with IOS and want to try Android, the Skyrocket is probably one of the best to try out. In my opinion, some people try Android with POS hardware and say Android sucks. Many phones lead to many different experiences and hardware has a lot to do with it in Android. Any of the Samsung SII line of phones is a no brainer. If you don't like it, then you won't like Android period!

Good luck.

droidguy15

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I bought the iPhone 4S back in October and replaced it with the Skyrocket last month. I only had the iPhone for a few months, and was never a real fan of it. Don't get me wrong, it's a great phone, but it's very boring.

After getting the Skyrocket, I can honestly say that it's the best smartphone I have ever owned. It's nice and light, has an awesome screen, and is very fast. The call quality is superb and the the features are excellent. The iPhone is nice if you aren't too creative and just want a phone that does the minimum. The Skyrocket has the best screen of any smartphone I have ever seen. There is a learning curve, but it's minimal, in my opinion.

I am so glad I switched to the Skyrocket and I'm sure you are too :D

mottley2189

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
IF you are in an LTE area, I'd say go for it(you will miss the battery life of an Iphone though)

Here are some screen caps of my phone

I only have 3 home screens

What kind of battery life are you seeing in an LTE area? And what do you see in non LTE areas if you have experienced one?

kbd517

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I just switched from an iPhone 4, jailbroken, to the Skyrocket. Because of the LTE, the battery life isn't as good as the iphone, but the Skyrocket is excellent. and after 16 hrs, of normal use, I'm at 20% and still show 4 hrs left on this charge. I had the LG Nitro for a week, and while it was a superior phone in every way (except what follows), the battery was the worst I've ever experienced- going through almost 2 full charges in a day, despite hard battery saving settings.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
one thing i'd like to add, the screen sucks on direct sunlight. i used to get much better visibility with my previous moto atrix. i'm typing this while standing on the subway station platform. and i can barely see the screen.

blweldon2

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
If you don't like the input methods, just change them. That's the beauty of Android. Anything can be changed.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Bro all u gotta do is download avg from the market and u will NEVER have to worry bout viruses or malware and SwiftKey x is by far the best keybord period.

Sent from my ZTE Score using Tapatalk

blweldon2

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
If you have a little bit of common sense, you don't need to worry about viruses and malware even without mobile antivirus.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah i heared bout that keyboard but imho SwiftKey x is by far the best I used (and i used a LOT, lol).

Sent from my ZTE Score using Tapatalk

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm also on the fence right now, though I'm pretty darned frustrated with this slug I have called an iPhone 3G! Have been playing around with the GS2 Skyrocket at the ATT store and it seems pretty sweet, though the blue cast on the screen seems a bit odd. Regardless, compared to the iPhone, it's a speed demon.

It seems many of the folks here seem to feel there won't be any huge jump or improvements in the GS3 and as you know, the GS2 Skyrocket is at Amazon for $99.99 with no tax or shipping which makes it a great deal.

I'm sure there's a learning curve going from iOS 4 to Android, but am sure most everyone here has some great tips as well as how to customize.

Any thoughts on whether it makes sense to wait for the new HTC phones or the GS3?

Thanks.

Jonathan

jjb70

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
There will always be a better phone around the corner. But in my opinion, at this moment, you can't find a better phone to jump to Android with than the SR, especially for $99. Don't think twice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12