Switch from iPhone 4S to Galaxy S II Skyrocket?

justinkk2005

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone made this switch? The iPhone 4S is a solid phone, but I've grown bored of Apple and iOS after owning four generations of the iPhone. I've learned the ins and outs, hacked it up(well, however much we were allowed to at least) and customized the OS from top to bottom. I'm looking for something new to play with and the Skyrocket seems like the ideal device.

I'm looking for input from those with experience using both devices before I pull the trigger tonight and purchase a Skyrocket. My main concern however is going to be the screen quality of the Skyrocket in comparison to the 4S. I know it might be lacking, but is it that noticeable? Also, how customizable (broad question) is the Android in comparison to the iPhone when it comes to functionality customization?

Since my post count isn't 5 I can't send you a message or I would, but i'll trade you even for that iPhone 4S. I have a skyrocket (black) with an otterbox defener and a case-mate pop with an extra 8 gb memory stick in it.. It's in great condition, never dropped/scratched...

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
justinkk2005.. Sounds like you're not happy with your Skyrocket. Care to share your reasons why you'd swap it for an iPhone 4S? As you know, the 4S is not a 4G LTE phone. I still am undecided about what I'm going to do about making the switch to Android.

Thanks.

wyt168

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm also on the fence right now, though I'm pretty darned frustrated with this slug I have called an iPhone 3G! Have been playing around with the GS2 Skyrocket at the ATT store and it seems pretty sweet, though the blue cast on the screen seems a bit odd. Regardless, compared to the iPhone, it's a speed demon.

Going from iPhone 3G to Skyrocket is a no brainer. You can't go wrong with that. I just switched from iPhone 4 and I agree with all the comments in the thread here. It's a huge speed boost. I can totally discard my Garmin now since the Google Map on Android comes with turn-by-turn voice prompt which you don't get on the iPhone.
The only negative thing I have noticed is that video on the SR can be a little grainy/patchy compared with iPhone 4 (I have them play side by side) Maybe the video codec is not as good. But the color is much brighter.
You can't go back to iPhone after you get used to the bigger screen on the SR.

wyt168

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
@jontalk: I got your PM. But I can't reply directly as I would need to have 5 posts on this forum to do that. So I am going to reply here--hope you would make your way back here and find it.
jontalk said:
Am curious if you also had made the same switch from iOS to Android and how long it took you to get acclimated to Android and the Sammy Touch Sense IU. I've read lots of pros and cons about it and many seem to think the HTC Sense is a better UI. The Vivid also seems like a good phone, carries the same deal on Amazon, but as you know, is slower with a better camera.
Yes, I did the switch, from an iPhone 4 to Galaxy Skyrocket. And I am glad I did. I don't know about the Vivid and the Sense UI, so I can't comment on that. But I got the Go Launcher EX, instead of using Samsung's Touchwiz. I took me 2-3 days to customise it to the way I like.
jontalk said:
Would also like some pointers about how to export my iTunes music so I can import it to the phone, and some other things as you can imagine :)
Although I used iPhone before, most of my stuff, like contact info, media stuff (photos, videos, etc), are all on Google (gmail, picasa, youtube). So I don't have trouble switching. The data are all on the servers (in the cloud), so it's just a matter of login into those accounts and sync. The only exception is the music on iTune, which I haven't figure out how to do it yet.
jontalk said:
I can't imagine the SG3 being that much further advanced other than being a bit faster and having a higher pixel density, but I could be wrong, LOL.

As you know, once you take the plunge and lose your upgrade you can't do it again for another 20 mos, so I want to use it wisely. And yes, I do realize that every time we buy a phone we see a better one, so you play the hurry up and wait game.
Yeah, I had the same dilemma. My iPhone contract was up for upgrade late last year. I got the 4S first, but wasn't too impressed with it so I returned it. Have been waiting for the 5 but decided to give Android a try. My friends have been urging me to do it--saying that Android has matured both in hardware spec and OS/apps. The Skyrocket is what I had my eyes on. I live in the bay area and AT&T has just turned on LTE here. I have been clocking ~20GB, faster than my wireless broadband at home (~10GB). I don't want to wait any more since I have been out of contract for almost half a year--you know, that's some lost opportunity cost too.

Last edited:

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
wyt.. Thanks for the info.. much appreciated. I am also in the Bay area (Marin to be exact) and while the LTE coverage isn't complete yet here, when I went to the Corte Madera ATT store and ran the speed test on a Skyrocket and clocked at nearly 26 mb down and nearly 11 mb up.. That's faster than Comcast!

Re: music. From what I've heard, you can install DoubleTwist on the PC that has iTunes and convert all mp4's to mp3's and store them in the cloud so you can then sync to your Skyrocket. Not sure how all this works, but am positive there are folks here that know how.

As you know, it's not unusual to pull the trigger on a new phone and 2 mos later something much faster comes out. I guess the next one to come to ATT might be either the HTC OneX or the GS2 HD. However, new phones will not be able to be purchased at Amazon for half price like the Skyrocket right now and the savings are significant. I suspect that once the ICS update is released for the Skyrocket it will make the phone even cooler..

Did you go with a white or black Skyrocket. I kind of like the white one myself. Am also going to play with the Note some more, though it still seems kinda big.

P.S. I had to do a complete restore on my 3G today since it wouldn't install app updates.. UGH!

nicholasdejohn

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I have a skyrocket and I must say that the phone is awesome. Lags a little in the battery department but other than that I have no complaints about the phone. I too, am looking to do a trade for an iPhone 4S merely because my wife has an iPhone and an iPad and it makes more sense to have the same equipment so that we can share apps and so forth.

But in all honesty in regards to the Samsung, the phone is great! It does everything, it has a great display, its fast, everything. My only complaint; and its really not a complaint, is the battery. I wish it lasted a little longer than it does, but it gets me through the day, so I guess I really can't complain.

Nick

wyt168

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
wyt.. Thanks for the info.. much appreciated. I am also in the Bay area (Marin to be exact) and while the LTE coverage isn't complete yet here, when I went to the Corte Madera ATT store and ran the speed test on a Skyrocket and clocked at nearly 26 mb down and nearly 11 mb up.. That's faster than Comcast!

You're welcome. AFAIK, Skyrockeet is only one of the two LTE phones on the market now. And we are fortunate enough that AT&T has enabled LTE in the bay area. I think just this speed advantage alone is a good enough reason to get it.

Re: music. From what I've heard, you can install DoubleTwist on the PC that has iTunes and convert all mp4's to mp3's and store them in the cloud so you can then sync to your Skyrocket. Not sure how all this works, but am positive there are folks here that know how.

Thanks for the tip. Will give it a try.

As you know, it's not unusual to pull the trigger on a new phone and 2 mos later something much faster comes out. I guess the next one to come to ATT might be either the HTC OneX or the GS2 HD. However, new phones will not be able to be purchased at Amazon for half price like the Skyrocket right now and the savings are significant. I suspect that once the ICS update is released for the Skyrocket it will make the phone even cooler..
This is a never ending game. For me I just want to utilise the upgrade option ASAP--since there is always the next best thing waiting in the wing. However, if I can I will try to align the window with Thanksgiving since there are always some cut throat deals during the week.
Did you go with a white or black Skyrocket. I kind of like the white one myself. Am also going to play with the Note some more, though it still seems kinda big.
Definitely black for me. My sister has the white iPhone. Somehow it just doesn't look right to me. I also heard that the white body would age with yellow tint over time--that's why it took Apple sometime to release the white iPhone.

wyt168

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My only complaint; and its really not a complaint, is the battery. I wish it lasted a little longer than it does, but it gets me through the day, so I guess I really can't complain.

The LTE is a battery drainer if you live in an area that has it enabled. Some say you can disable it if you want to extend the battery life. Haven't figured out how. But then, why??

nicholasdejohn

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Its not that bad, or not as bad as I thought it would be. I'd just rather have the iOS products so it makes things easier with compaitability at home with the wife.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
wyt.. Thanks again.. Went and played with a Nexus at Verizon today and to be honest, the only BIG difference I saw was that is running ICS and the frickin' price! We ran the numbers and with all the new customer charges, tax, etc. it would be over $400 as compared to about $136 for a Skyrocket from Amazon.. Yowza!

Lamdunne: Very cool way to sync iTunes to the Android. Just read the Tunesync site and it looks pretty simple :) Thanks!

Nicholasdejohn: Am curious if you made the setting changes many have recommended to save battery life. Also curious if whether you have LTE in your area like we do here in the Bay area.

Am thinking of seeing if they release the GS2 HD next month, play with it and also watch to see if Amazon drops the price further on the Skyrocket (which is likely I think). It would be an absolute no brainer to get a Skyrocket for $50 especially when they release the ICS update!

Anyone here think the Note is a contender? I just can't get over the size thing, though it seems to be very cool otherwise.

nicholasdejohn

May 8, 2011
Visit site
wyt.. Thanks again.. Went and played with a Nexus at Verizon today and to be honest, the only BIG difference I saw was that is running ICS and the frickin' price! We ran the numbers and with all the new customer charges, tax, etc. it would be over $400 as compared to about $136 for a Skyrocket from Amazon.. Yowza!

Lamdunne: Very cool way to sync iTunes to the Android. Just read the Tunesync site and it looks pretty simple :) Thanks!

Nicholasdejohn: Am curious if you made the setting changes many have recommended to save battery life. Also curious if whether you have LTE in your area like we do here in the Bay area.

Am thinking of seeing if they release the GS2 HD next month, play with it and also watch to see if Amazon drops the price further on the Skyrocket (which is likely I think). It would be an absolute no brainer to get a Skyrocket for $50 especially when they release the ICS update!

Anyone here think the Note is a contender? I just can't get over the size thing, though it seems to be very cool otherwise.

I have made a few changes and it has helped. I do not have LTE in my area. I have 3 email addresses pushing to my phone. I'm heavy user with texting, facebook and some apps. I have weather checking about every 15 minutes. I use the phone alot. Sometimes, I use it as a hotspot for my tablet.

Are you interested in a swap for your iPhone 4S?

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPhone 3G, so I doubt you'd like to swap, LOL.

I DO have a few questions/concerns about the Skyrocket as I read reviews from owners on Amazon.

1. It appears that accessing contacts on the phone is awkward. How do you set up the phone so it's easier?
2. Yahoo email accounts. Some have said that the phone doesn't work well with Yahoo.. Is this true?
3. Bluetooth: Some seem to feel that the Skyrocket doesn't function with voice commands on Bluetooth headsets, though one person installed "Hands Free Voice Dialer" app and it seemed to resolve. This app doesn't have the greatest ratings but Google Voice app does, so am wondering if the Google app also resolves the issue.

I'm ready for something other than Apple. Just want to make the best decision like any smart consumer!

blweldon2

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Dunno about the Bluetooth, but you tap contacts to go into your contacts and download the Yahoo mail app for email.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

PewterL31

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I have 2 yahoo accounts and a Gmail with no issues. Contacts I can set favs or even add a app to call/text/email any contact in your phone.

Sent from my Samsung Skyrocket

dave04045

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I switched from on iPhone 4 (same thing basically). I really love the Skyrocket. Screen is amazing. It isn't as crisp as the iphone but the colors are much more vibrant. The extra screen real estate is awesome, and holding an iPhone just makes it seem so tiny. Battery life can't touch the iphone though. I can get through a whole day usually but I always need to recharge at night. I love Android so far, the customization is great, and the whole custom ROM scene is cool

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Do most of the Skyrocket owners here root their phone? Never done anything like that before, and sure don't want to screw things up. Also am curious if ATT charges the $15/mo for their Navigator app automatically or if you have to accept an agreement (which I would not). Am also curious if after rooting if you can remove the bloatware without any issues. I DO understand that once you root the phone, you will not get carrier OS updates which sucks. Is this correct?