I've had problems since I bought the phone over a month ago. If and when the screen goes off when I hold it up to my ear for a call, all it takes is the touch of my cheek to mute a call, put it on speakerphone or just end it. Even when the screen is blacked out it seems that a slight touch will wake it. Sometimes the screen just goes on and off during a call, even with no touch... Especially if I'm in the dark. And this happens A LOT. And when it does try to work properly it doesn't respond quickly at all. Takes for freaking ever after I pull it away from my ear for it to light up. Ugh.. Most of the time I have to press the lock button during a call and just unlock when I need my screen but I shouldn't have to do that! Bringing it in to AT&T this week... Tired of muting ppl then having to lock the screen. Anyone else have this problem???
    I hate to say it but my old iPhone never had this problem....
    03-21-2012 04:43 AM
    Pay attention to where the proximity sensor is on the phone and make sure you are holding the phone to your ear in such a way that it covers the sensor. My wife used to do this all the time with a different phone until we figured out that she was holding the phone in such a way that the proximity sensor was out away from her head.
    03-21-2012 04:50 AM
    Yeah, I've played around with it and it doesn't matter where it is. I can have it directly located onto my ear or face and the screen will still come on... Then off.. Then possibly on again. Almost like it's confused. Lol. I can't tell u one single call that I didn't end up muting, ending, putting on speakerphone or just having to press the lock button because of one or all of the above. So very frustrating. Really the only problem I have with the phone but a big enough one.
    03-21-2012 05:02 AM
    And even if it was not directly covered it shouldn't matter as long as it's in close PROXIMITY... Hence the name... =) unless it's just a light sensor... Then in my case it would still be considered a joke.. Since it goes crazy in the dark. Just hoping whatever it is can be fixed.
    03-21-2012 05:07 AM
    Make a test call with the phone on the table and your finger on the sensor. If it still has problems, return it, assuming you are inside your warranty.
    03-21-2012 05:23 AM
    I also see in the SR user manual that there is a way to turn the sensor off. It could be that you have the sensor off. The option is under call settings.
    03-21-2012 08:53 AM
    Most proximity sensors don't detect depths of under 1cm. Might sound silly but try cleaning around the sensor. Even if it doesn't really look dirty, a little oil or dirt around it could affect its performance.
    03-21-2012 08:55 AM
    Thanks for all the info. I tried all your suggestions but I see that I'm just going to have to bring it in. I was trying to avoid that.
    03-24-2012 01:23 AM
    I agree. I have had trouble from day one also. (almost 2 years)
    Where is the sensor?
    When I make the check mark in sensor is it on or off?
    Trying to get answers.
    mjf
    08-12-2014 01:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD