Ok, so I just got a refurb Skyrocket from AT&T this week and so far I really like it! I'm coming to Android from a Samsung Focus running Windows Phone Mango, which was great except for the fact that Exchange is a PITA and you must have the proper cert file loaded on the phone for it to work......and IT gave up on getting to work this time. Great work Microsoft.......other than that, it was a great phone. So, my first day with the Skyrocket I managed about 13 hours on the battery. That was with minimal use, and both of my email accounts set to push. I was killing apps and making sure GPS, Bluetooth, and Wifi were off when not needed. After checking my battery usage, my email was at the top of the list. So, today I changed my emails from push to 4 hours. I've used the phone a bit more today than yesterday, even used navigation and played some music, sent texts and talked on the phone about 6 times. So far I'm at 13 1/2 hrs with 20% still left. Not too shabby if you ask me. Anyone have tips for even better battery life?? Or is yours worse than mine??
    03-22-2012 08:06 PM
    Are you in an LTE area? 13 hrs on LTE w/ 20% left is not too shabby at all. LTE drains the battery alot. Rogers gives the option to turn off LTE, but AT&T doesn't.

If you're in range of Wifi, Wifi actually saves power. You can also use apps to periodically turn off data (like Juice Defender or Green Power).

Finally, if you're feeling more adventurous, you can mess around w/ custom roms and kernels. Some of them add in the ability (that AT&T took out for strange reason) to turn off LTE and use HSPA+. You can also undervolt and underclock w/ the right kernel.

I haven't messed w/ kernels and UC/UV, but I'm using NexusMod4, and the battery life is better than stock for me. While I was asleep last night on Wifi, battery drained from 36% at 12:45am to 32% at about 7am.
    03-22-2012 10:56 PM
    I came from a BB Torch to the Skyrocket and I am amazed at how much more this phone does than my last one with better battery life. I have all of my email accounts set to push because I really need to know when they are received. I have plenty of battery for a full day and just keep a charger with me in case. I love this device!!!
    03-22-2012 11:33 PM
    Well I must be doing something wrong. On Wednesday, I noticed my battery seemed to be draining awfully fast - like about 5% an hour while at work. When I'm at work my phone basically just sits there since I have my computer right in front of me. It is connected to WiFi. I changed a couple of things, rebooted and charged overnight. Yesterday (Thursday), it seemed to be going at about 2-3% an hour which I was very happy with. Today I'm back at 5% an hour. Is that reasonable? Basically all I do is occasionally check to see if I have a text (since there's no LED). When I look at my battery usage, OS and System are the top two. Mediaserver (which I don't use) is on there for 4%. I know I can probably get better usage using a battery program or Taskr, but for now, I want to maximize what I can without any of those. Any thoughts?
    03-23-2012 08:38 AM
    Well I must be doing something wrong. On Wednesday, I noticed my battery seemed to be draining awfully fast - like about 5% an hour while at work. When I'm at work my phone basically just sits there since I have my computer right in front of me. It is connected to WiFi. I changed a couple of things, rebooted and charged overnight. Yesterday (Thursday), it seemed to be going at about 2-3% an hour which I was very happy with. Today I'm back at 5% an hour. Is that reasonable? Basically all I do is occasionally check to see if I have a text (since there's no LED). When I look at my battery usage, OS and System are the top two. Mediaserver (which I don't use) is on there for 4%. I know I can probably get better usage using a battery program or Taskr, but for now, I want to maximize what I can without any of those. Any thoughts?
    Are you rooted? If so, you can try freezing the apps you don't need. I forgot what Mediaserver is: either means you were watching video, or it's the Media Hub. You can freeze the media hub. I have no idea what you get out of it that you couldn't already get from the Play store or your video player.

As for notification LED, you can try NoLED or BLN. This way you won't have to check so often if someone messaged you.

How is your Wifi signal at work? At work, my wifi signal is very weak and goes in and out. So, it doesn't help much in terms of battery. But at home, it's solid and helps my battery alot.
    jefsen likes this.
    03-23-2012 12:31 PM
    I am not rooted (yet). Using WiFi Analyzer my work WiFi comes out at -60. I don't even know if that's good or bad.

Thanks for the tip on NoLED.
    03-23-2012 12:40 PM
    Depending on how it is configured, NoLED can drain your battery *really* fast. I had it on mine and removed it for that reason. I don't get why Samsung didn't put a notification LED on the Skyrocket.

As far as battery life goes, the life on a Skyrocket is average to below average. I can go a full day if I don't use it much but with heavy use I have to recharge mid day. In fact, it's 2pm and I've got 36% now.

That said, it's probably good for an LTE phone with this screen size. It's better than my old phone (Evo4G). ;-)
    03-23-2012 12:51 PM
    Depending on how it is configured, NoLED can drain your battery *really* fast. I had it on mine and removed it for that reason. I don't get why Samsung didn't put a notification LED on the Skyrocket.
    I forgot to mention that. Yes, make sure to turn off NoLED when you're not using it. I have it max out at 1 hr, and to sleep between 2am and 7am.
    03-23-2012 01:11 PM
    Are you in an LTE area? 13 hrs on LTE w/ 20% left is not too shabby at all. LTE drains the battery alot. Rogers gives the option to turn off LTE, but AT&T doesn't.

If you're in range of Wifi, Wifi actually saves power. You can also use apps to periodically turn off data (like Juice Defender or Green Power).

Finally, if you're feeling more adventurous, you can mess around w/ custom roms and kernels. Some of them add in the ability (that AT&T took out for strange reason) to turn off LTE and use HSPA+. You can also undervolt and underclock w/ the right kernel.

I haven't messed w/ kernels and UC/UV, but I'm using NexusMod4, and the battery life is better than stock for me. While I was asleep last night on Wifi, battery drained from 36% at 12:45am to 32% at about 7am.
    No. I am not in an lte area, we have hspa+ here. I use wifi when possible and I have the power saver coming on at 30%. So far the battery life is pretty darn good. Any suggestions to make it even better?
    03-24-2012 10:29 AM
    I'm getting over 30 hours after conditioning the battery. I disabled push and just check my mail manually. Also running juice defender. I posted on how I conditioned my battery but it hasn't shown up yet for some reason...I guess it's waiting for administrator approval. No LTE here yet so most of my browsing is on wifi. I have gps on.
    03-24-2012 02:19 PM
    Wow, 30hrs?? That's crazy! I don't turn on GPS unless I need it and I turn Wifi off when I'm not at a location that has it. My email is set to check every 4 hours and only from 8am to 8pm. Other than that I don't think that my phone is really doing much in the background. I've only had the phone for 5 days and the battery does seem to be lasting longer each day. Today I've used the phone quite a bit, I'm at 78% after 6.5 hours. Not too bad at all!!
    03-24-2012 04:38 PM
    i know lol, it is crazy, but true! Mine is a AT&T refurb too which I got Monday of this week. Replaced my iphone 4s with it. Check my post on how I conditioned the battery... hopefully it will work for you too man!
    03-24-2012 04:46 PM
    I have read it, I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks!
    03-24-2012 04:59 PM
    The only time my battery on my SR isn't so great is when I'm in a LTE area. I go from 20 to 12 hours on a single charge. I'm a heavy user though.
    03-26-2012 10:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD