After living with a new iphone 4s for a week I took it back and got a Skyrocket. The iphone was a really nice phone, and I really liked the siri...but from day one I was wishing I had the Sammy. The iphone screen while sharp, was just too small and next to the Samsung looked a little washed out. Call quality was not very good, and I had a lot of problems with people not being able to hear me. I have had no such problems with the Skyrocket. Ultimately though it really came down to being bored with the iphone, and that was the clincher. After living with the Skyrocket for 5 days I seriously love this phone. Very happy I switched. I love the feel, the look, the screen, the clarity of calls, and am really looking forward to AT&T rolling the LTE network into Cleveland, as I hear we are number one on the runway. I can't wait.
    03-23-2012 06:44 PM
    By the way, I got this as a refurb from AT&T for $53 delivered. It has so far been flawless.
    03-23-2012 07:18 PM
    Wow.. great deal on the refurb. Here in CA we get hit with sales tax on the full NO Contract price of $550 adding $44 to the total which comes to $100. Just doesn't make sense to me to get a device with a 90 day warranty when I can get a new one from Amazon for $136 with a full one year warranty.

Am curious if you played with the Note at all. While it's way more money, it sure grows on you when you look at web pages, videos etc. not to mention Sammy created an entirely new category of device when the launched the Note!
    03-23-2012 07:39 PM
    Ya, if I had known about the Amazon deal at the time I might have gone for it. I agree the 90 day warranty makes me a little nervous, and I never have bought a refurb before, but I decided to go for it and save a few bucks. I checked out the note and really liked it when I played with it at Best Buy, but just felt it was slightly larger than was comfortable as a phone...maybe next time though...I agree Sammy has started something new and I have wondered if I might of been even happier with the big ol' Note!
    03-23-2012 07:54 PM
    Hope that works out for you.. I saw this thread on the Galaxy Note forum today and it concerns me: http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-g...axy-notes.html

Spending this kind of money on a device that has problems like the screen which is 80% of the device, doesn't make me feel good. The feeling from others on the XDA forum is that the technology used in the Super AMOLED screen is somewhat flawed since the colors are over saturated and the blacks end up being pixelated as a result. it's not a deal killer but certainly is something that is shared with the Note and the Skyrocket since they have the same screen for the most part. Obviously its exaggerated on the Note due to the size. Also, am curious if you are having the proximity sensor issue someone else posted today.

Cheers!
    03-24-2012 01:23 PM
    I haven't had any issues at all with the proximity sensor. Works just as well as the one on my iphone 4s, which worked very well indeed.

As far as issues with my screen...well I haven't noticed any yet. That said, I haven't checked the youtube referenced in the xda forum post yet so maybe I need to do that. For most of my usage which has included some gaming and a lot of you tube and surfing...I haven't had an issue really. I tend to be pretty sensitive to black level issues and gamma etc. as I am in the custom electronics/home theater business for 15 years and am pretty persnickety about video quality and especially about black level. A good video experience starts with black level, and in years past this was the downfall of nearly all lcd displays, as dark scenes in movies had a strong propensity to become just different shades of brownish pall. The new lcd TV's are much better on this, but I am not sure if this extends to these super amoleds led's. I will check out the video referenced in the post once my phone has finished trickle charging and let you know what I think.

If I have issue with this or most other Samsung displays, it would be that colors are maybe "better than real" or "overvivid/oversaturated". This can add excitement to the viewer but on an absolute scale for the videophile this can be annoying. Sony was once pretty famous for this. On a $4000 LED TV this would bother me...on my cell phone...not at all.
    03-24-2012 02:01 PM
    Wow.. great deal on the refurb. Here in CA we get hit with sales tax on the full NO Contract price of $550 adding $44 to the total which comes to $100. Just doesn't make sense to me to get a device with a 90 day warranty when I can get a new one from Amazon for $136 with a full one year warranty.

Am curious if you played with the Note at all. While it's way more money, it sure grows on you when you look at web pages, videos etc. not to mention Sammy created an entirely new category of device when the launched the Note!
    Not flaming, but didn't Dell really create the 5 inch phone genre?

Sent from the greatest HTC EVO 4G ever made!!!
    03-24-2012 02:06 PM
    I've. Been a long time iPhone user (since the original) and just got the skyrocket yesterday. I wanted the note, its just so huge!
    Love the screen size compared to the iPhone. I just need to get used to android now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    03-25-2012 08:59 AM
    Not flaming, but didn't Dell really create the 5 inch phone genre?

Sent from the greatest HTC EVO 4G ever made!!!
    They may have launched the first 5" device, but I wouldn't call it a success by comparison to how the Note has been doing. It was certainly a poor execution, and not a lot of folks evsn knew they existed.
    03-25-2012 09:50 AM
    Ya, the Android takes a little getting used to for sure. The screen size is so much nicer to work with over the 4s, and that for me is reason enough to switch.
    03-25-2012 10:06 AM
    I should receive my skyrocket tomorrow or Tuesday. I got it for 19.99 refurb. Teehee. But any who, I have gotten bored with the iPhone too. I have a 4 currently and have had no issue with it. It even survived me dumping a bucket of water on myself.....but I want a bigger screen and a different OS. They just haven't changed the iPhone enough for me.
    03-25-2012 12:15 PM
    I should receive my skyrocket tomorrow or Tuesday. I got it for 19.99 refurb. Teehee. But any who, I have gotten bored with the iPhone too. I have a 4 currently and have had no issue with it. It even survived me dumping a bucket of water on myself.....but I want a bigger screen and a different OS. They just haven't changed the iPhone enough for me.
    Lol! A bucket of water...thats a good test(don't do that with your new Skyrocket). Ya man, for me even though the iphone was nice, as I said before it really came down to the thing being kind of boring...I guess it feels kind of dumbed down, for lack of a better explanation. That is a great price on the refurb...best $20 you'll ever spend I think. When picking up an iphone now I can't believe how small the screen looks after living with the roomy SR screen. Let us know how you like that new phone!
    03-25-2012 12:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD