Can't get SR to power off?

mrsrobot

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I just got my SR last Thursday (3/22), and had to take it back the next morning because it kept restarting itself for no apparent reason. This is the first Android that I've had, I came to this from a jailbroken iPhone 4. They switched out phones for me and I haven't had that problem since. I've had really short battery life, doesn't even last a full day on a charge. I decided to do a full charge cycle and then was planning on turning it off to charge it back up and it won't turn off and stay off, it just re starts. I have NOT rooted yet. Does anyone know anything about this? Like I said this is my first Android, so speak slowly and use small words. ;)

Here's some general info if it helps and please ask if any more info would help

baseband ver. i727UCKj2
kernel ver. 2.6.35.11
Gingerbread.uckj2

Sorry for my first post asking for help!

mrsrobot

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Yup. Mostly they've been ones that are pretty standard. Stuff like gmail, baconreader, local tv station's weather app, stuff like that. I tried to avoid the ones that seemed sketchy in the least and I put norton AV on it. Does that even help anything? Using the Norton, I mean. Didn't intend to sound rude, sorry.

Last edited:

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Not sounding rude at all...hmm...well sometimes Norton has caused my customers big problems on the windows side...may not be the Norton, but I just wonder if it could be a misbehaving app. Dump the Norton and see what happens.

mrsrobot

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I was thinking of dumping everything and then slowly adding back on to see if I could spot an app that was causing the problems. I saw on another thread I found earlier that a few others have had the problem and were thinking it was hardware related, maybe something with the usb port.

adammcgovern

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
So you can't power down the phone? I understand that you want the most out of your battery and so you gave it a full charge before setting up your phone. With phones as large as ours the screen size will definitely be one of your biggest battery issues and as much as I love android it's not known for battery life. Have you tried to a battery pull? Just take it out for a minute, pop it back in and power it up. Then try powering it down. If you've downloaded apps solely from the market, ahem, play store than I really doubt that it's an app. I personally don't use an antivirus application and have never had an issue but a lot of people place a premium on piece of mind and you can't argue with that. However one way to identify a rogue app could be to download watchdog from the market or to check your running applications through settings. I would try a battery pull first though. By the way, did they give you a new phone or was it a refurbished device?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

mrsrobot

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I have tried a battery pull, didn't help. It actually powered back up right away after I put the battery back in. I went into the applications widget and shut everything down. I'm in the habit of keeping as much shut down as possible from running my jailbroken iPhone for so long.

They switched it out for a brand new one. They said it was the last white one they had and were actually pretty nice about the whole thing.

I knew that I wouldn't get the battery life that I did from my old phone, but I was hoping to at the least get through the day without having to charge. As it is right now, I charge at night, take it off in the morning, and by 3 or so, I'm down to 30% or so battery. That's with NO movies or streaming, just a few games here and there and checking a few sites. I've been keeping my screen low and set to auto and today I went ahead and turned the data off unless I was actually away from wifi and needed it for something.

mrsrobot

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I believe my post just got eaten. If you see I posted twice pretty much the same thing, I apologize.

I have done a battery pull, the phone came back on as soon as I got the battery back in. I'll try it at least one more time though, just to make sure. Thanks for the info on the apps. I haven't downloaded anything except from the Google store (I feel odd calling it play..., market did sound much better).

They did give me a new one for the exchange. They were actually pretty nice about the whole thing.

I have been exiting out of apps regularly, I don't normally let anything run in the background. I got in the habit of clearing stuff out after I jailbroke my iphone, and it's even easier to do it with this.

adammcgovern

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Just a heads up when using Android.... It's really not the best thing for your battery life to kill at random. There is a good chance that some of those apps will start back up anyway and it actually uses more battery power for the system to continually start applications that it needs to run efficiently. That is one of the biggest differences between ios or blackberry and android. Task killers for example are usually frowned upon.
Also, there's a whole write up in the 'general help and how-to' section for users who are making the jump from Apple to Android. I had a bb previously but I just took a quick look at it and it seems really complete and well done.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

Last edited:
Reactions: mrsrobot

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2