Anyway to get siri or something like it

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I'd highly doubt it. Siri connects to Apple servers and resides ONLY on iOS and only on iphones. not even ipads. there are however some instances of siri on android but they're very lame. nothing compared to real siri.

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Going through this now myself. So far I've tried vlingo, Eva and Jeannie and have not been pleased. Looking at speaktoit next.

Sent from CM9 enhanced Touch pad using Tapatalk.

jeffeboi

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I tried both speaktoit and skyvi and am very disappointed... Neither the very basic question 'What time is it in new york'... Hopefully they get better or a decent siri alternative is developed.

jjb70

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I tried both speaktoit and skyvi and am very disappointed... Neither the very basic question 'What time is it in new york'... Hopefully they get better or a decent siri alternative is developed.

IMO Siri is worthless (and yes, I like IOS too). Just press and hold your search button and speak "What time is it in New York?" I just did it on very first try and first result in google is "7:57pm Thursday (EDT) - Time in New York NY"
I use the built in voice search for just about everything on Android and it blows away (completely) what I can do on my iPhone. Just isn't as cute and friendly.:)

jeffeboi

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
For internet searches android voice search owns Siri. As I've pointed out to many apple fanboys when they try to tell me apple invented voice recognition (or some stupid thing like it). It's telling it to call or text people or set up meetings where siri comes to the party.

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
IMO Siri is worthless (and yes, I like IOS too). Just press and hold your search button and speak "What time is it in New York?" I just did it on very first try and first result in google is "7:57pm Thursday (EDT) - Time in New York NY"
I use the built in voice search for just about everything on Android and it blows away (completely) what I can do on my iPhone. Just isn't as cute and friendly.:)

You are the first person I have heard of anywhere who thinks android voice search blows away siri...I have had the iPhone 4s, and now the skyrocket and while I love my skyrocket it isn't even close to siri when using voice search...but you know what they say about opinions...

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
It probably depends on what you're looking for. If it's speed and accuracy, google voice search it pretty darned good. I have heard siri can be slow but don't own an iphone. I just know the commercials make you believe it is lightning fast. Siri of course has that personal touch if you're looking for that. It's all about personal taste.

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I respect Woz...although he may be a little past his prime...that said...voice search can't find people I call every day...like my girlfriend...or my friend Les...Call Les Wag _ _ _...voice search ...call las vegas......and the thing I miss about my iPhone is saying "wake me at 7 am" and 100 percent of the time having the thing set my alarm correctly...with no additional apps...ymmv...and Woz's too.

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Dumpedduce I want to apologize, as that is 2 people that like voice search better...I do think Jeannie is much better than most of the other android AI apps...vlingo?...just read the customer reviews on their own site for a good laugh sometime...If I was a Vlingo exec...I would be packing 24/7 or get a good body guard at the very least.

Software Guy

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Siri has it's pluses. Notably the integration to the calendar and reminders. I taught one of my employees how to use Siri for reminders (such as pick up Kevin for Beers). I have even taught my wife how to use it.

Do they both? No. I'll have to try one of the latest ones mentioned here.

BTW, thanks for the link about Woz. It's pretty much how I feel. My wife hates my Skyrocket but once she gets past that it's hey, why can't I do that!

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Yes indeed, I got rid of my iPhone 4s and haven't looked back. I love the Skyrocket, it is one of the best devices I have ever owned. That said you are correct softwareguy, it is the little things that siri could do due to it's integration with stock apps that made it so useful. After living with both, it is my experience that siri just works better for the things that I use my phone for...calendar....scheduling...making calls...sending texts...it just worked. My Android can tell me what the capital of Wyoming is though.

jjb70

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
You are the first person I have heard of anywhere who thinks android voice search blows away siri...I have had the iPhone 4s, and now the skyrocket and while I love my skyrocket it isn't even close to siri when using voice search...but you know what they say about opinions...
Yeah, just as you try over and over and only have success with Siri, and Woz tries over and over and only has success with Voice Search, it's a very person specific experience. That's why I started my post with IMO. Regardless, I can't imagine anyone having issue with Voice Search on "What time is it in New York?" as it's merely a google search that's a no brainer for google so it's clearly a better option than many of the third party apps that can't even get that right (ie the one's he was having problems with).
My point was that most people don't need to search for a Siri equivalent for Android as the built in works great for most searches, just no glitz.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I respect Woz...although he may be a little past his prime...that said...voice search can't find people I call every day...like my girlfriend...or my friend Les...Call Les Wag _ _ _...voice search ...call las vegas......and the thing I miss about my iPhone is saying "wake me at 7 am" and 100 percent of the time having the thing set my alarm correctly...with no additional apps...ymmv...and Woz's too.

I use Vlingo all the time for work. Class A CDL driver and very rarely will I have a problem with it. Also Google voice, even tho Android 4.0 is out now, is still beta and are still working on it.

Funny story tho, open up Vlingo, I asked it to get in the kitchen and make me a sandwich being stupid one day and it started calling my buddy. I repeated this several times and always called him. I laughed for ever and give him a hard time about it.

Sent from my Eclipsed Droid RAZR via Tapatalk II

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair