Thoughts? SR or HTC One X

alestex

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Okay...a brief background. I've used a variety of smartphones over the last few years...iOS and Android. I recently decided to upgrade from my HTC Inspire on ATTWS. Thought I'd try the 4S and while okay, the draw of LTE and no SWYPE has left me wanting to get back in the Android family. Since I'm within the 30 window I can change handsets for $35 not a big deal.

Question is do I go with the Samsung SR or wait for the HTC One X?

Honestly, I don't see any major compelling features of the X (besides the somewhat higher PPI screen). SR will eventually get ICS so that's a wash. Beats? But the battery is sealed and that kind of worries me based on experience.

What am I missing?

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
You could always return the iphone and wait for SGSIII announcement. If it is coming sooner, rather than later, worth a couple months wait. We should know May 3rd.

As long as you still have the inspire.

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Yes, One X biggest problem is sealed battery...what are they thinking? That is crazy on any big-a_ _ _ _ android phone...and a show stopper for me. Yes the Samsung 3 is supposedly going to debut on May 3rd...if you can fit that in your 30 day window...go for it...if you can't, then go for the Rocket in the Sky. I am dubious as to whether the phone will actually be available that soon...

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Thats what I am saying. Just return the phone before the 30 days. Use the old backup until the SGSIII comes out. Or if it is too long, go for the One X.

As a current Skyrocket user, I would say wait.

alestex

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys. I've got till 5/13 in my 30 day window. The backup/old phone went to my son, so it's out of the equation.

I just don't have any confidence that a 5/3 SGIII launch event will equate to buying the phone at ATTWS any time near that date. I really hope I'm wrong, but then again where's my Skyrocket HD?? lol

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys. I've got till 5/13 in my 30 day window. The backup/old phone went to my son, so it's out of the equation.

I just don't have any confidence that a 5/3 SGIII launch event will equate to buying the phone at ATTWS any time near that date. I really hope I'm wrong, but then again where's my Skyrocket HD?? lol

Yep...I'm ok with the Skyrocket, I know there is always something else right around the corner, but that goes with the territory in technology in general...I am very happy with the Rocket in the Sky...hd or not...lol.

alestex

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Yep...I'm ok with the Skyrocket, I know there is always something else right around the corner, but that goes with the territory in technology in general...I am very happy with the Rocket in the Sky...hd or not...lol.

Soooo true... I was just thinking that. I have to keep reminding myself this is pretty dynamic technology. Always something faster, better, cooler just around the proverbial corner.

I think hanging out with this group doesn't help...lol. just kidding... I've been a gadget freak since I was a kid and love it!

I've had about every techno-gadget ever made... Anyone want to buy an Apple Newton or Psion??? :eek:

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I haven't enjoyed a device like the Skyrocket in a long time. I've been searching, found some good ones, but not like this. Sure you can get the next best thing.....every month, but you will go bankrupt doing that. Beautiful screen, good battery life, perfect size, not much more to say. Everyone has their own idea of the perfect device though.

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Soooo true... I was just thinking that. I have to keep reminding myself this is pretty dynamic technology. Always something faster, better, cooler just around the proverbial corner.

I think hanging out with this group doesn't help...lol. just kidding... I've been a gadget freak since I was a kid and love it!

I've had about every techno-gadget ever made... Anyone want to buy an Apple Newton or Psion??? :eek:

I'm in the same boat man...I got my first computer in 1980...Texas Instruments TI 99 4/a ...Been one upgrade after another for all these years. There are some devices that just changed my life for at least a few years at least...This is one of them...The Rocket is one of those...just a fabulous device...

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I haven't enjoyed a device like the Skyrocket in a long time. I've been searching, found some good ones, but not like this. Sure you can get the next best thing.....every month, but you will go bankrupt doing that. Beautiful screen, good battery life, perfect size, not much more to say. Everyone has their own idea of the perfect device though.

TgeekB, I couldn't have said it better myself...this is it for me too man...I feel so happy with this thing...it's embarrassing! lol...I try not to fawn over it too much when in front of my co-workers and stuff...but I just love showing it off...perfect in a lot of ways...technical soul mate territory.

jjb70

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Okay...a brief background. I've used a variety of smartphones over the last few years...iOS and Android. I recently decided to upgrade from my HTC Inspire on ATTWS. Thought I'd try the 4S and while okay, the draw of LTE and no SWYPE has left me wanting to get back in the Android family. Since I'm within the 30 window I can change handsets for $35 not a big deal.

Question is do I go with the Samsung SR or wait for the HTC One X?

Honestly, I don't see any major compelling features of the X (besides the somewhat higher PPI screen). SR will eventually get ICS so that's a wash. Beats? But the battery is sealed and that kind of worries me based on experience.

What am I missing?
The Skyrocket is nearly flawless. It's easily the best phone I've ever owned (of 25+ smartphones). The one major difference I've noticed in Samsung's Galaxy lineup is the screen sensitivity is much better that other Android OEMs. I used to be an HTC only guy from about 2006 to 2009 but now I only look at Samsung. You won't be disappointed with this phone. Also, HD screen is not everything it's cracked up to be. Keep in mind that everything will appear much smaller and zooming is increased to read comfortably. 800x480 on a 4.5 inch display is extremely clear text and very fine resolution and I actually purchased the Skyrocket over the GS2 HD for this reason.
If you really want a similar experience to the HD variants, root it and apply a density hack to the phone and it's really hard to tell the difference. I have mine set somewhere in between and it's perfect for me.

Also, don't count on the GSIII coming to ATT for awhile. It will probably be released overseas for awhile and then come to the US. I'm going to buy the unlocked version next month but only because I'm a phone freak and have an early adopter disorder!:)

alestex

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I traded out the 4S for the Skyrocket yesterday. Feels good to be back with an Android device and very pleased with the SR. Nothing like getting a new gadget to tinker with...

Battery life has been better the the 4S, a massively larger screen and 15 mbps download speed...

I'm a happy camper!

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I traded out the 4S for the Skyrocket yesterday. Feels good to be back with an Android device and very pleased with the SR. Nothing like getting a new gadget to tinker with...

Battery life has been better the the 4S, a massively larger screen and 15 mbps download speed...

I'm a happy camper!

I dumped my 4s over a month ago alestex...and I am very happy I did...this Rocket is the best!

JerseyJet

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully the third times a charm. After ordering and cancelling the Skyrocket twice trying to hold out for the HD version, today I finally pick up my new phone. I already have the case & holster, 32GB memory card and dashboard mount. Next purchase will be an extended battery. These forums have been a God-send for me personally since I’m a numbers guy and not “technically advanced”. I enjoy the give and take of ideas and can’t wait to include my observations. I intend to wait the 30 day return period before attempting something like rooting the phone, but I do see that happening down the road.
Anything specific I should be doing initially with the phone to improve customization or performance??
Thanks

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I am not a sealed battery fanatic at all. Stay away from that. I would actually suggest galaxy note.

Same here on the sealed battery. The lack of expandable memory is another turn off. On a separate note (lol), the Note is a bit to large for my tastes (too big to fit in a pocket for one)...though my wife wants one. :p

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully the third times a charm. After ordering and cancelling the Skyrocket twice trying to hold out for the HD version, today I finally pick up my new phone. I already have the case & holster, 32GB memory card and dashboard mount. Next purchase will be an extended battery. These forums have been a God-send for me personally since I?m a numbers guy and not ?technically advanced?. I enjoy the give and take of ideas and can?t wait to include my observations. I intend to wait the 30 day return period before attempting something like rooting the phone, but I do see that happening down the road.
Anything specific I should be doing initially with the phone to improve customization or performance??
Thanks

Just my simple observations as someone who loves this phone and has no problem with battery life. You will save huge amount of power by not pushing email. I check my mail as I feel the need throughout the day...huge difference in battery staying power...number two turn down the screen brightness to maybe 20% or below when indoors...the screen still pops and looks great...I often go even below 20% and have no problem seeing the screen and loving the look...this may be the single biggest battery saving step you can do...I don't do a lot else, as I keep gps on and background data on etc...I get outstanding battery time on the phone...without giving up a lot of the "experience". I turn up the screen brightness when outdoors and when driving to 50% or on really bright day even all the way up to improve visibility, but turn it back down when I go indoors. If your phone is using more than 1% per hour in standby, you need to find the culprit...this is another big key to superb battery life. Hope you enjoy your new Rocket...the Rocket from the Sky.:D

JerseyJet

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Skyrocketeer,
For the last month I’ve enjoyed everyone’s comments and observations regarding this phone. I picked it up last night and couldn’t be happier. Thank you for the battery saving advice, as of today it’s my only real concern. I will pick up an additional battery at some point, but I first want to calibrate the one that came with it.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Well it's getting VERY interesting now since I just noticed that Amazon Wireless just dropped the price to either the black or white Skyrocket to $79.99! And while it's only a $20 price drop I'll bet it's going to drop further with the announcement of the new devices next week! :cool: