Is anyone who currently has a Skyrocket going to get the Galaxy Nexus off-contract for $399 through Google Play? I don't live in an LTE area so I'm not worried about that part, but I have a 32GB SD card that I use from when I had an HTC Thunderbolt and the thought of going to only 16GB is a bit concerning. With an official ICS around the corner for the Skyrocket, would it be foolish to jump on this opportunity?
    04-24-2012 03:26 PM
    Yes. Not because of ICS, but better phones available. SGSIII -HTC One X. Maybe you have to pay, but you can always sell the Skyrocket to make up the difference.

I am replacing mine with the SGS3, most likely.
    04-24-2012 05:28 PM
    I really considered it, but after I setup go launcher with an ics theme, ics lockscreen, and ics keyboard, I basically have all the features I wanted from the Galaxy Nexus. I know it still doesn't compare to having a non bloatware experience, 720p display, and having first dibs on updates, but overall the Skyrocket is still a great phone for its time.

For $399 though off contract, it really is a heck of a deal though. Maybe if I sell my Touchpad...
    04-25-2012 02:11 AM
    Probably not. Trading LTE and microSD expansion for a high-res screen doesn't seem quite worth it. I can already run ICS through the custom roms available on xda, and it's a pretty good experience.

The only thing that would make me reconsider is AT&T. Reception seems very hit or miss in LA. Some people have said T-Mo is better... of course that would require me to sell the phone and eat the ETF. Seems like alot of trouble... so probably not.
    04-25-2012 11:35 AM
    Hi guys. I know I'm bringing back an old thread but I've been contemplating for a past few days if I should pick up an unlocked galaxy Nexus from the google store and sell my skyrocket. I've been running the Sky ICS leak for the past two weeks on my skyrocket and I really like it. However there are few reasons why I think I should switch to GN. Direct updates from Google, no carrier BS apps, better battery life, and perhaps the most important reason is the skyrocket's price will only keep falling down especially with the release of GS3. So what would you guys recommend me to do? it looks like we might never even get an ICS update on our devices and the GN appears to be an obvious choice just for that. Also, the Google may release a new Nexus phone probably by the end of this year this is another thing that is holding me from getting the GN now. your thoughs/suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!
    06-18-2012 02:51 PM
    How much better is the battery life? That would be what would get me to make that move.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums
    06-18-2012 03:45 PM
    well.. considering that it is not an LTE compatible phone and also by reading GN forums I'd say it can last for about 20 hrs with moderate use.... but like i said, for me really, more of an issue is not being able to sell my phone after a few more months for as much as I can get for it now (around $320) I was thinking about waiting for my contract upgrade to use it for the GS3 but i decided i dont want to have another device crippled by the carrier. I want to try a "pure google experience" now.
    on a side note I was at the hospital in Brooklyn today and did an LTE speed test prior tethering to my ipad, I was surprised, i tested 3 times DL speeds were 25, 29 and 30 mbps and upload around 12 mbps.. lol I really dont know what to do now, I will have to say goodbye to these speeds if i switch to GN lol
    06-18-2012 04:12 PM
    Ahh, well, no LTE in my area yet so that is not an issue. I'm sure battery life will greatly diminish after they do though.
    06-18-2012 04:36 PM
    Trev.. those LTE speeds are amazing! Went to the nearby ATT store and played with the One X and Skyrocket on demo and the best I saw at that location was 15 DL and 8 UL, though from what I hear, speeds can vary greatly. And I hear you about the Skyrocket price dropping once the GS3's are out. I'm actually still considering getting the Skyrocket instead since S Voice seems to be gimmick and I suspect many of the software features on the GS3 may become available on the soon to come ICS update for the SR.. I have a feeling that the Amazon price on the SR may drop down to $40 again or lower which makes it mighty attractive for a noob.
    06-18-2012 05:44 PM
    The Skyrocket will continue to be a good phone for a while.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums
    06-18-2012 07:29 PM
    Trev.. those LTE speeds are amazing! Went to the nearby ATT store and played with the One X and Skyrocket on demo and the best I saw at that location was 15 DL and 8 UL, though from what I hear, speeds can vary greatly. And I hear you about the Skyrocket price dropping once the GS3's are out. I'm actually still considering getting the Skyrocket instead since S Voice seems to be gimmick and I suspect many of the software features on the GS3 may become available on the soon to come ICS update for the SR.. I have a feeling that the Amazon price on the SR may drop down to $40 again or lower which makes it mighty attractive for a noob.
    yeah... i havent seen speeds like this for a long time already... idk maybe because it had something to do with a hospital area, you know enhanced towers etc..
    SVoice sucksss.... it often doesnt understand me or giving me unrelated responses on anything that's at least a bit more complex than "whats the weather today" question. i turned it off... useless... also my skyrocket was giving me lots of issues with making calls today.. i had to reboot it a few times it was loosing the signal etc etc. i think i may have to reflash the modem again, but the thing is i'm tired of reflashing custom roms, modems and s$&t like that I want a normal device that just works and gets timely updates. so i think i am very close to "pull the trigger" on the GN today...

TgeekB it most certainly will, it's just a shame that carriers murder those awesome expensive devices after 6 -10 months by no longer supporting them and concentrating on newer models. but of course, its all about profit....
    06-18-2012 08:50 PM
    Yeah.. that makes sense but I don't want to move to VZN now especially since they have those dumb shared data plans, which for a single line will cost too much. I will have a grandfathered unlimited data at ATT, so I'm pretty much stuck with going the GS3, Skyrocket or One X direction. Really hesitant to get the One X though, even though the screen is super nice.

Sorry to hear about the Skyrocket issues, though most people seem to think its one of the best phones out there, sans the lower resolution screen.
    06-19-2012 12:13 AM
    Ive had my skyrocket since dec. I really like it, but the only downfall for me is the handsfree problem on making phone calls with the laws where i live. Hopefully sammy will have it working right with ics.Other then that i do soo much with it . I have tried vliingo and a few others and still would not work. Battery life has been pretty good for me.
    06-19-2012 08:03 AM
    sppdy.. not sure what you mean when you say handsfree problem.. Are you saying that you can't make Bluetooth calls or use the Google search bar voice app and just say, "Call Ralph"??When I played around with the Google bar it seemed to work very well, better in fact than what I'm reading about S Voice on the GS3. Some on this forum have actually recommended the Skyrocket instead of the GS3 but I suspect we'll see the prices drop a bit on both which will probably result in getting the GS3 instead.
    06-19-2012 04:44 PM
    When you push the button on your blue tooth ear piece to make a call without grbbing for your phone. Using a motorola sliver right now and have tried blue ant. the only thing it will do is call the last person i had previously dialed.
    06-19-2012 11:42 PM
    I want to dump my Skyrocket, but the lack of LTE on the Galaxy Nexus makes it hard for me. I'm near a great LTE city (Baltimore) and I don't want to give up LTE.
    06-20-2012 06:50 AM
    well i finally pulled the trigger guys. with Google slashing the price for the GN to $349 it was simply impossible to resist. I know I wont have LTE but HSPA+ speeds in NY arent that bad. and with Jelly Bean around the corner and not having to depend on ATT for updates I think I'll be pretty much happy until the next nexus device comes out. from now on I'll be getting only Nexus phones.
    06-27-2012 12:56 PM
    well i finally pulled the trigger guys. with Google slashing the price for the GN to $349 it was simply impossible to resist. I know I wont have LTE but HSPA+ speeds in NY arent that bad. and with Jelly Bean around the corner and not having to depend on ATT for updates I think I'll be pretty much happy until the next nexus device comes out. from now on I'll be getting only Nexus phones.
    I am so tempted by this, too. That is an incredible price. But lack of microSD stings.
    06-27-2012 03:56 PM
    I am so tempted by this, too. That is an incredible price. But lack of microSD stings.
    well, to me its a non-issue I have a 16gb card in my skyrocket with used space only about 4gb. and the phone's storage is unused except for the Mass Effect and NOVA3 game data files. but $350.... man.. i just couldn't pass up that offer... hello Jelly Bean
    06-27-2012 04:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD