I bought a new skyrocket last week off contract, with the intention of running it on straight talk byod. .. I curently have a Iphone 4S and a Galaxy note up and running on the 45.00 unlimited plan and all is well Internet speeds are great phone reception is great... All are at&t branded phones... The problem I am having is the skyrocket will not hold a signal on straight talk phone gets horrible radio signal jumping all over signal no signal then error message " not connected to network" The galaxy note is rooted and it works great HSPA+ speeds most places and is full functional the Iphone 4S is not jailbroke but need the sim swap method to be full functianal and data speed is great also.. I don't know if I got a skyrocket with a bad radio or does the phone need root to be used on straight talk??? I know I have read that at&t branded skyrockets are being used without root so I guess my question is does it sound as if my radio is bad? ?? All correct apn settings are applied as per my note...Any help is appreciated. ..
    05-01-2012 07:33 PM
    I don't think it needs to be rooted to work with Straight Talk, but why not just root it? You don't have to worry about AT&T warranty anyways.

I don't think the radio is "bad" but sometimes certain radio versions work better/worse in some areas. Is your phone running on 2.3.6? I've heard the radio that came with that update blows. I'd root the phone and try flashing another radio to see if it helps.
    05-02-2012 11:46 AM
    Man I can tell you this, even though I am not rooted, this phone has the best reception of any phone I have ever owned...I work in a lot of huge buildings and houses and even in big ole basements I have no trouble ever...I am on 2.3.5...ymmv but it probably isn't the hardware on the SR.
    05-02-2012 10:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD