Hi, I purchased skyrocket from ebay. Unfortunately after I purchased and it is shipped, I noticed in the description the following statement.

"This Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket is in incredible shape. It is rooted and ready for a CUSTOM ROM installation. However, to leave all the ROM selection details to the next owner, the phone is running the "stock" version of the ROM."

I have few questions to ask.

1] If I keep the phone in current situation, and later when ICS released by AT&T, will my phone be upgraded immediately or do I need to unroot?.

2] What is the procedure to unroot and make it at&t stock phone?

Thanks for your help.
    05-10-2012 01:32 AM
    You need to download a program called odin. Google using odin to return my phone to stock, or something similar to that...plenty of information out there.

Good Luck man...should be fairly easy.
    05-10-2012 07:01 PM
    this is a link to doing this to a sammy galaxy s2:

How to Unroot AT&T Galaxy S2! [SGH-i777] | Galaxy S2 Root

maybe this will help you.
    05-10-2012 07:03 PM
    OK.. this is probably a lame question, but since I'm about to pull the trigger on an SR, what is the advantage to rooting, and does it void the mfg warranty?

Also has anyone bought their phone from Amazon and found a good insurance plan with a one time fee like Global Warranty Group offers via resellers?

Thanks.
    05-10-2012 08:09 PM
    rooting's biggest advantage if you are with ATT is the ability to use tethering without paying extra...mighty inviting...then you have the ability to remove the bloatware and run the SR in Slim Jim mode. lovin me some slimmy...yep.
    05-10-2012 09:29 PM
    If I leave my phone rooted,will I get the ICS update notification when released by AT&T?. Do I need to unroot to install the update?.
    05-11-2012 01:02 AM
    I'm not rooted and by no means an expert, but I believe you will have to unroot to get the official AT&T release.
    05-11-2012 02:39 PM
    I'm not rooted and by no means an expert, but I believe you will have to unroot to get the official AT&T release.
    I think you are wrong. I finally able to unroot and when connected to kies, it gave me the following message "Your device does not support software upgrading via kies". Looks like I need to do something to make it behave like stock
    05-12-2012 10:44 AM
    Hi, I purchased skyrocket from ebay. Unfortunately after I purchased and it is shipped, I noticed in the description the following statement.

"This Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket is in incredible shape. It is rooted and ready for a CUSTOM ROM installation. However, to leave all the ROM selection details to the next owner, the phone is running the "stock" version of the ROM."

I have few questions to ask.

1] If I keep the phone in current situation, and later when ICS released by AT&T, will my phone be upgraded immediately or do I need to unroot?.

2] What is the procedure to unroot and make it at&t stock phone?

Thanks for your help.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sky...oft-brick.html
    read carefully, follow the instructions to the latter.
    05-12-2012 11:26 AM
    I think you are wrong. I finally able to unroot and when connected to kies, it gave me the following message "Your device does not support software upgrading via kies". Looks like I need to do something to make it behave like stock
    Huh? I think that's what I just said...
    05-12-2012 12:03 PM
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sky...oft-brick.html
    read carefully, follow the instructions to the latter.
    I did follow the instructions but still kies give the same error. Please find attached my phone information.
    05-12-2012 11:35 PM
    I did follow the instructions but still kies give the same error. Please find attached my phone information.
    i dont get it why do you need to use kies? i never used it. what are you exactly trying to do with kies? you want to upgrade to 2.3.6? you can do that OTA from the settings/ software update on your phone you dont need kies for that....
    05-13-2012 08:16 AM
    i dont get it why do you need to use kies? i never used it. what are you exactly trying to do with kies? you want to upgrade to 2.3.6? you can do that OTA from the settings/ software update on your phone you dont need kies for that....
    I tried updating to 2.3.6 through OTA and it fails everytime at 25% and so I thought will try through kies and it throws the error I mentioned earlier. I just want to know whether my phone returned to stock or not (after unrooting following the GUIDE given). If not, what's the difference now?. Thx.
    05-13-2012 11:28 PM
    I tried updating to 2.3.6 through OTA and it fails everytime at 25% and so I thought will try through kies and it throws the error I mentioned earlier. I just want to know whether my phone returned to stock or not (after unrooting following the GUIDE given). If not, what's the difference now?. Thx.
    if you reflashed with odin to 2.3.5 tean your phone should be stock.
    05-14-2012 12:21 AM
    I have used two different ways to return to stock.
    1. Go to sammobile.com, register, then search for SGH-I727, then download the file. Then search for Odin 1.85. which will be used to flash the file you downloaded from sammobile. Be careful with Odin, otherwise you can brick your phone. The only box checked should be auto reboot. Click the pda button, find your download, then hit start.

2. Use Kies. Open Kies without your phone plugged in. Go to tools, Firmware Upgrade and Initialization, enter your device info (in caps). It will then offer to reload your software.

Once you're back on 2.3.5, you can OTA to 2.3.6, if you want.
    JSB544 and srsgonu like this.
    05-14-2012 12:50 AM
    I have used two different ways to return to stock.
    1. Go to sammobile.com, register, then search for SGH-I727, then download the file. Then search for Odin 1.85. which will be used to flash the file you downloaded from sammobile. Be careful with Odin, otherwise you can brick your phone. The only box checked should be auto reboot. Click the pda button, find your download, then hit start.

2. Use Kies. Open Kies without your phone plugged in. Go to tools, Firmware Upgrade and Initialization, enter your device info (in caps). It will then offer to reload your software.

Once you're back on 2.3.5, you can OTA to 2.3.6, if you want.
    Thanks a lot lithprintr... Solution (2) worked flawlessly. Not sure why this is not documented anywhere?. I even posted this question and searched on XDA-developers and did not find answer.

I am now able to return my phone to stock and also upgrade to 2.3.6. Thanks again.
    05-14-2012 05:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD