New Leak!

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
ask away! we like lots of questions! lol for me rooting had only one advantage being able to install tethering app but since foxfi does not require root I don't even bother rooting my phone anymore. People root for various reasons, to tether, to remove carrier's bloatware to install custom rooms, tweak the system etc. I had to root my phone to install the Odin ICS leak. usually it depends on the phone if it can get the official updates with being rooted. I remember I had to return my Motorola Atrix to stock because the update was failing. I think with Samsung phones you don't have to worry about it. I prefer to stay stock. and last but not least, YES rooting does void the warranty. same as with jailbreaking the iPhone.

Last edited:

kevinqian

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I suspect the battery life issues are still due to Wifi. Try turning off your wifi for a whole day and see how the battery fares. I'm having the same kind of issue with the SGS2 ICS leak. When I turn off wifi, standby drain is about 1%/hr. With it on, it would kill the battery overnight.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Trevalkin.. much appreciated. Now it's just a matter of making the decision about whether to get the SR, Note or wait for the GS3. Then the fun will begin, LOL since I'll be a newbie to Andriod..

Also has anyone ever heard that third party such as Amazon or others selling new phones that were returns instead of new?

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I suspect the battery life issues are still due to Wifi. Try turning off your wifi for a whole day and see how the battery fares. I'm having the same kind of issue with the SGS2 ICS leak. When I turn off wifi, standby drain is about 1%/hr. With it on, it would kill the battery overnight.
Actually regardless of whether I'm on wifi or LTE my phone does lose about 1% per hour. The problem is that I'm having rapid battery drain when I'm actually using the phone.... even with radio turned off. I suspect this is rather the problem with either how the display affects the battery or calibration. Idk... but when I let's say listen to the music with display off it would drain about 1% per hour..

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

That's really good. I only get 1%/hr if I turn on wifi. I'm guessing you're not in an LTE area, are you. I also only turn on wifi if I actually have wifi reception.

I get different luck w/ different Wifi networks however. When I used the wifi network at my gf's college, it didn't really improve my battery life at all. Maybe it times out (I have to sign in w/ a browser after it connects). At home, my battery life is great when using Wifi.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Jedah would you recommend the Rom you are running? I dl-d it today but haven't flashed yet... my main concerns are the battery and stability. Thanks!

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Jedah would you recommend the Rom you are running? I dl-d it today but haven't flashed yet... my main concerns are the battery and stability. Thanks!

I'm using Sky ICS 4.2D-9. Although battery life and stability have been decent for me as a daily driver, it has its quirks: battery life is inconsistent and there is still the occasional FC. I would go for one of the UCLE2 roms. People on xda have been reporting it to be more stable. I plan to either flash Sky ICS 4.2E once it gets the 14 toggle mod or Smooth Ice 5.2 once more people have had a chance to test and comment.

Reactions: dalvik

Uselessbass

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
I had my phone flashed to the original leak that came out on March 26. But flashed back to stock Becouse I had issues with my phone app locking up, my email locking, up texting was buggy I couldn't delete messages from the main conversation page without it locking up for like 10 seconds my battery life was also horrible during use but batter in standby?? But it seemed to hold a stronger signal and loaded web pages way faster does anybody know if this newest leak fixes the texting and phone lockup issues? Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm using Sky ICS 4.2D-9. Although battery life and stability have been decent for me as a daily driver, it has its quirks: battery life is inconsistent and there is still the occasional FC. I would go for one of the UCLE2 roms. People on xda have been reporting it to be more stable. I plan to either flash Sky ICS 4.2E once it gets the 14 toggle mod or Smooth Ice 5.2 once more people have had a chance to test and comment.

I ended up reloading GB 2.3.5 again. The ICS battery was simply abysmal. I think I may try smooth ICS those two seem to be very popular on xda.. thanks again jedah!

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I ended up reloading GB 2.3.5 again. The ICS battery was simply abysmal. I think I may try smooth ICS those two seem to be very popular on xda.. thanks again jedah!

No problem. Have you tried any of the 2.3.6 roms? I just flashed to NexusMod 4.3 last night, and battery life was pretty awesome right out the gate. This is what it looked like overnight. I went to sleep around 2am and woke up around 7:30.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
No problem. Have you tried any of the 2.3.6 roms? I just flashed to NexusMod 4.3 last night, and battery life was pretty awesome right out the gate. This is what it looked like overnight. I went to sleep around 2am and woke up around 7:30.
Yeah the battery looks very good. I haven't tried any roms yet. Does the NexusMod look like vanilla ICS? I actually really like the TW interface. And you know what, I came to a conclusion that i like gingerbread (especially the skyrocket's 2.3.5) a lot more than ICS. After using ICS leak for couple of days going back to GB felt really good. Everything seems to be so swift, fast. ICS has all those animations which in my opinion sorta slow down the whole experience. I do like the rotate screen animation however and all options and features that are not available on GB. But overall GB interface feels a lot snappier in my opinion... on a side note my flash counter is already 5 lol so i should probably watch that out! lol

Last edited:

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
It comes with a launcher that looks like Vanilla GB. But, I always swap out for ADW EX, so I can't say how functional it is. NexusMod ICS comes w/ Trebuchet, which looks like vanilla ICS.

Yeah, GB is definitely fast enough. In terms of functionality, there's not much that ICS can do that GB can't.

Yeah the battery looks very good. I haven't tried any roms yet. Does the NexusMod look like vanilla ICS? I actually really like the TW interface. And you know what, I came to a conclusion that i like gingerbread (especially the skyrocket's 2.3.5) a lot more than ICS. After using ICS leak for couple of days going back to GB felt really good. Everything seems to be so swift, fast. ICS has all those animations which in my opinion sorta slow down the whole experience. I do like the rotate screen animation however and all options and features that are not available on GB. But overall GB interface feels a lot snappier in my opinion... on a side note my flash counter is already 5 lol so i should probably watch that out! lol

adammcgovern

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, just a heads up.... I remember reading a report over at xda of pre-release ics builds bricking some phones and that a stock recovery wasn't possible. I know that the note was one and some gs2's but I can't remember if the skyrocket was one of them. It had something to do with a bug in the kernel of the leaks. just thought I'd throw this out there because that would really, really suck:banghead: Hopefully I'm wrong and our beloved skyrocket isn't one of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: mcbaes72

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Has there been any word when ATT or Sammy is going to push the actual ICS update yet? Just curious since I see that Amazon dropped the price on the SR to $40 which make it mighty tempting.

However, the more videos I watch about the GS3, the more amazing this phone seems to be. And with the price drop I cannot help but think that the GS3 release will be soon.. Why else would they drop the price so much on the SR?

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Has there been any word when ATT or Sammy is going to push the actual ICS update yet? Just curious since I see that Amazon dropped the price on the SR to $40 which make it mighty tempting.

However, the more videos I watch about the GS3, the more amazing this phone seems to be. And with the price drop I cannot help but think that the GS3 release will be soon.. Why else would they drop the price so much on the SR?

Your guess is probably as good as anyone on the ICS release. I would guess it's coming soon. I tried the UCLE2 release (most recent), and it's pretty stable. Seems pretty close to a final release.

The GS3 is supposedly slated for next month. That sounds like a pretty good reason to drop the price of the SR.

Samsung Galaxy S3: US release date fixed for June 1 | Northern Voices Online: NVO News Blog

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
It comes with a launcher that looks like Vanilla GB. But, I always swap out for ADW EX, so I can't say how functional it is. NexusMod ICS comes w/ Trebuchet, which looks like vanilla ICS.

Yeah, GB is definitely fast enough. In terms of functionality, there's not much that ICS can do that GB can't.

Oh i see. Thanks again. I actually found the stock OTA 2.3.6 UCLA3 zip and dl-ing it right now. I will stick to this version for now as I had a pretty good battery life on it. For some strange reason i wasn't able to do OTA on my phone

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Oh i see. Thanks again. I actually found the stock OTA 2.3.6 UCLA3 zip and dl-ing it right now. I will stick to this version for now as I had a pretty good battery life on it. For some strange reason i wasn't able to do OTA on my phone

I think there was a good majority of people that didn't get the OTA update. That's why I decided to try one of the custom roms. I just read your question again. I think my reply made it sound like the TW launcher was removed. It's still on NexusMod4 if that's what you wanna use. In fact, I think most (all?) of the roms still have TW on them.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I think there was a good majority of people that didn't get the OTA update. That's why I decided to try one of the custom roms. I just read your question again. I think my reply made it sound like the TW launcher was removed. It's still on NexusMod4 if that's what you wanna use. In fact, I think most (all?) of the roms still have TW on them.
Oh i see it does have the TW. I was almost ready to install the skyICS but then found the screenshots and videos it looks like a vanilla ics no TW. And sadly, the stock ATT ucla3 that i dl-d yesterday comes in a zip installable through CWM so I hesitated to do it... I was hoping for the odin tar file. Do you know if CWM will still remain on the phone after I'll install that zip? Because my problem is that I want to end up with a stock unrooted GB 2.3.6 (that had the best battery life) and I'm not sure if it is possible with zip files... can't seem to find an answer anywhere...

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Oh i see it does have the TW. I was almost ready to install the skyICS but then found the screenshots and videos it looks like a vanilla ics no TW. And sadly, the stock ATT ucla3 that i dl-d yesterday comes in a zip installable through CWM so I hesitated to do it... I was hoping for the odin tar file. Do you know if CWM will still remain on the phone after I'll install that zip? Because my problem is that I want to end up with a stock unrooted GB 2.3.6 (that had the best battery life) and I'm not sure if it is possible with zip files... can't seem to find an answer anywhere...

I think a stock Odin tar file is the only way to restore everything to stock. I'm not sure what would happen if you restore using CWM, but I'm guessing CWM would still remain.

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site

You'll have to use Odin to restore the stock recovery. You could always use Odin to restore to stock then do the OTA update to 2.3.6

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandiR