06-03-2012 01:25 AM
46 12
tools
    Where the SR is concerned, it still is a contender for sure, though I'd be a fool not to wait and play with the GS3 once it's in the stores. Of course, am sure we'd ALL like to see Sammy release ICS for the Skyrocket which would level the playing field in some respects
    I'm running the Sky ICS UCLE2 rom right now, and ICS on the SR just flies. S Voice is also on this rom. It's cool, but I don't really think I'll get anymore use out of it than the standard voice search or Vlingo for Android. I don't think you will be hurting for performance with the SR. The big upgrades to me with the GS3 are the HD screen and battery life.

You won't go wrong w/ either: save some money and get the SR or pony up extra for what's looking to be one of this year's top Android phones.
    05-24-2012 02:39 PM
    jedah.. thanks for the tip. I was under the impression that in order to install the UCLE2 rom, you have to root the phone, which also voids the warranty. I also understand Samsung nixed the ability to use S voice with any phone other than the GS3 with their servers, too.

And yes, I'd prefer to save the money since it's also likely the Skyrocket price will drop further on Amazon, though at $40 it's a bargain right now.

So if I understand correctly, someone that roots of a phone eliminates any possibility of returning it if defective, but it also gives the owner lots of options such as removing Touch Wiz, deleting the bloat ware and installing custom roms which may improve performance and many other things, right? With a new device, I'm not sure I'd want to void the warranty until I'm really on top of the game. And as a newbie to Android, it's probably not the best idea, wouldn't you agree?
    05-24-2012 03:53 PM
    jedah.. thanks for the tip. I was under the impression that in order to install the UCLE2 rom, you have to root the phone, which also voids the warranty. I also understand Samsung nixed the ability to use S voice with any phone other than the GS3 with their servers, too.

And yes, I'd prefer to save the money since it's also likely the Skyrocket price will drop further on Amazon, though at $40 it's a bargain right now.

So if I understand correctly, someone that roots of a phone eliminates any possibility of returning it if defective, but it also gives the owner lots of options such as removing Touch Wiz, deleting the bloat ware and installing custom roms which may improve performance and many other things, right? With a new device, I'm not sure I'd want to void the warranty until I'm really on top of the game. And as a newbie to Android, it's probably not the best idea, wouldn't you agree?
    You don't need root to install a custom rom. All you need is a custom recovery. Just install the recovery through Odin (if you install through Rom Manager, you'd need root). From there, you can flash a custom rom, and most of those are rooted. If you're talking about the ICS leak (any of them), just flash those through Odin, no root necessary.

S-Voice was blocked on other devices for awhile, but apparently someone got it back and running again (at least as of last night when I tested it).

Yes, rooting will void your warranty. But as you listed, you also get some of the main benefits of being on Android. If you're rooted or have a custom rom, you would need to flash the stock tar to remove root and restore the stock rom/recovery. I'm not sure if it resets the flash counter, but apparently there are ways to reset that as well.
    05-24-2012 04:16 PM
    jedah.. you're blowing right by me with all these tech terms.. Sorry. But that's the difference between someone who's been using a closed source device (Apple) and someone like you who's obviously a developer level user.

I was reading another thread in the HTC One X forum and one of the responses in the thread mentioned that the email they receive does not have clickable links on the One X. Is this something standard with all Android email, or something native to the HTC email software? That would really suck if I can't click a link in an email to open a browser.

In lay terms, can you explain what a 'custom rom' and 'custom recovery' is and where you find them and if they're difficult to install? I sure would hate to screw up a new phone. Maybe there's a link for newbies that want to do all this stuff somewhere on this site! From the looks of it the ICS roms that are out there don't seem to really improve things much, though I'd love to be able to remove all the bloatware once I get my next phone..
    05-24-2012 07:23 PM
    Was just doing a bit more research before I shut down for the day and came across this You Tube vid:

Am curious to learn whether the video focusing issue still exists since I really enjoy taking videos, but now I'm a bit concerned that the Skyrocket does not have a focus tool when shooting them.. That seems pretty lame to me. Thanks.
    05-24-2012 07:42 PM
    Was just doing a bit more research before I shut down for the day and came across this You Tube vid:

Am curious to learn whether the video focusing issue still exists since I really enjoy taking videos, but now I'm a bit concerned that the Skyrocket does not have a focus tool when shooting them.. That seems pretty lame to me. Thanks.
    on ICS it does. in fact, I've ended up flashing latest ICS leak again today. (i keep going back and forth can't seem to make up my mind) I love the chrome browser btw. but anyway. there is a focus tool on ICS. and also, last week we went to Manhattan bridge and I shot a 3 minute video in HD and was surprised how the camera quality got improved on ICS. it looks... well different from what i had on GB, a lot better in my opinion, plus i think there are couple of new options as well.
    05-24-2012 09:11 PM
    In lay terms, can you explain what a 'custom rom' and 'custom recovery' is and where you find them and if they're difficult to install? I sure would hate to screw up a new phone. Maybe there's a link for newbies that want to do all this stuff somewhere on this site! From the looks of it the ICS roms that are out there don't seem to really improve things much, though I'd love to be able to remove all the bloatware once I get my next phone..
    Here are some useful links that'll explain it much better than I can.

Noob guide for the Skyrocket:
    [REF] All in One guide for NOOBS! With Vidoes Now! - xda-developers

How to flash CWM and root
    [MOD] ROOT | CWM | ODIN | SGH-I727 and SGH-I727R Skyrocket - xda-developers

Restoring stock in case $h!+ hits the fan
    [HOWTO][TAR] THE ODIN THREAD :: Return to stock, fix soft brick :: 11/13: Rogers TAR! - xda-developers

It's intimidating at first, but just be patient. The rewards are there for you if you do your homework. This is my first Android phone, and I waited probably a good 4-5 months before I even began to consider rooting or flashing. I started with rooting, and then moved onto flashing after I was comfortable with the results.

As for the video focus, the guy in the youtube clip doesn't really know how to use the camera. The video automatically focuses after a couple seconds once you start recording. I recorded part of a concert in full 1080p glory, and the results were awesome.

Never used an HTC Android phone, but I have all kinds of clickable stuff in my emails (I use the gmail app). ICS is a definite improvement. Although it doesn't seem to have alot more features than GB, it's noticeably faster and smoother, and I'm not just talking benchmark scores either. And as Trev said, Chrome is awesome, and that's only available on ICS. You're gonna want some of that trust me.
    skyrocketeer likes this.
    05-25-2012 02:28 AM
    speaking of email, i have two gmail accounts and i LOVE gmail application on ICS the redesign is so much better and easier to use. i'd really want to try the Google wallet but as i understand it is not possible yet right? i am not sure.. i think due to carrier's restrictions, i have to look more into it. very tempting
    05-25-2012 07:56 AM
    Thanks for the information Trev...looking forward to taking it all in after work today.
    05-25-2012 10:25 AM
    Thanks for the information Trev...looking forward to taking it all in after work today.
    Sure no prob. But one thing is I don't like on ICS is the battery life... I've already mentioned that before and it's still the same with this leak, so keep that in mind when you flash to ICS I do have two spare batteries with me all the time so I think I should be fine for at least 24-35 hours...
    05-25-2012 11:58 AM
    Jedah and Trevalkin.. Thanks so much.. You guys are so knowledgeable it's amazing!

I had a suspicion the lack of web links on emails was something that was native to the HTC email app, rather than the consensus. And the focusing issue on the video also seemed suspicious since it wouldn't make sense for ANY manufacturer to release a phone that doesn't focus properly when shooting video. This coupled with the fact that Samsung has sold over 20 million S2's shoots a hole in this criticism.

Just read the thread the guy in Dubai posted who got an GS3 yesterday for $739 and also had a One X. Evidently he likes the GS3 much better though he says the S Voice sucks. He also makes the analogy that moving from a GS2 to the GS3 is akin to having an IP4 and getting the IP4S, which to me, wasn't much of a jump. Will be curious to see if others feel the same way. If that's the case, logic and economics would dictate that the Skyrocket may be the better deal!

Thanks again guys. Will study the XDA links too!
    05-25-2012 12:47 PM
    P.S.. Just watched the XDA Developer Noob video before registering and it's HYSTERICAL! That alone give me cause to join the XDA forum! Awesome!!
    05-25-2012 01:02 PM
    I don't know, but I believe that the no links on the HTC X might be related to the Apple lawsuit.
    05-25-2012 01:58 PM
    Considering buying the Galaxy Nexus off of Google Play and selling the Skyrocket I bought in December. Touchwiz isn't really doing it for me, and the SIII doesn't really appeal to me. I would rather have the HTC One X over the SIII. My next phone will either be the current Nexus or the next one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    You could always download a different launcher, such as Apex or Nova, right? I don't like TW either. After rooting and installing Sky ICS, I love this phone. The current ROM has S-voice, which is so-so. More a novelty than a game changer for me.

I don't see the SIII as a large enough improvement unless they get the battery life to be significantly better. The current Nexus lacks micro SD which is lame for such a great phone.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2
    05-26-2012 09:35 PM
    Yes I will get the S3 as soon S it hits the streets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums
    05-27-2012 12:18 PM
    Rather interesting replies.

I'm a gadget person and I'll simply have to try the GS III. Albeit just for testing or something
    05-27-2012 08:38 PM
    Well it appears there are those who will stick with the SR and those who are going with the GS3 regardless. I think we will know very soon when we can play with the new Sammy as well as know how much it will set us back.

I decided to make one more cruise in the ATT store to play with the Note, One X and Skyrocket and I still think that the Skyrocket seems fastest and best size, though I do like the screen on the One X. I just think it's far too buggy and it looks like its going to be held up in customs until HTC can get things worked out with Apple, too.

It simply makes sense to play with the GS3 BEFORE making a decision. And am also wondering how much more the Amazon price on the Skyrocket will drop after the June Sammy announcement.. $20?... $10?... One cent? Hmmmm.
    05-27-2012 08:40 PM
    Since I'm 7 months into my SR contract, and my wife is nearly a year into hers, no point in me upgrading if I can't get it under a subsidized price. I'm content with my SR, despite not having ICS yet.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2
    05-30-2012 02:27 PM
    Yes will upgrade quicker than a husband leaving his second wife (I'm talking to you Gingrich).

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    06-02-2012 05:24 PM
    oldmanjenkins.. pretty funny line there..

You're a real phone junky aren't you? Your profile says you have the One X which has been out.. what a month or less? Are you still on your 30 day trial or are you going to spend the big bucks and buy an off contract GS3? Just curious.

I tend to stay with a device for a while (obviously since I have an IP3G, LOL). And as we all know, ATT only lets us get the upgrade price every 20 mos. I still think the Skyrocket is a lot of phone for the $$, though am eagerly awaiting the GS3..
    06-02-2012 05:43 PM
    Regardless of whether I upgrade or not, I'll never run a stock rom again. Custom rom's are too much fun!
    06-03-2012 01:25 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD