WTF did I do? My phone is going nuts.

akcrimson

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
No idea what is going on with my SGH_I727 right now. This is my first Andorid phone so I am sorry but I haven't learned a lot about roms and kernels and what not. I was a BB user for forever.

My fiance said last night my phone was acting odd so he did a battery pull and it was back to normal again. He said it was just a black screen with the Android, no words or anything.

Today I went all day with no issues, and then tonight I went to grab it, and it was off. Power button brought it back on but it gave me this screen, in the attachment its the one on the right I never saw the one on the left. I tried in vain to Google wtf was up (not even knowing what to search), and opted to do a battery pull. It just went back to the Odin screen. twice more no avail. Once more and the phone turned on, but complained of a low battery (though it was plugged in). My computer will no longer recognize it as a USB drive but this time it IS charging it.

Now what? Should I just flash the original stock rom (and can you recommend a good tutorial if so?) I did backups (including Titanium backup?).

Could this be from liquid damage? I got a little soup on the bottom of my phone a few days ago. It was minimal but I pulled it and put it in some rice for a few hours anyway. had no problems until yesterday evening.

I hate not knowing my phone! I could fix any issue on my BB. Still learning.

Last edited:

akcrimson

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: WTF did I do? Stuck in Odin then fine again?

Oh boy. Windows does not recognize it as a USB device. kies can not fix it with the USB Drivers. And when i try to use Odin to flash the stock ROM, my phone won't show up in the ID:COM section. Is my USB fried? it's still charging the phone though?

Ideas??

tvandegr

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

it does sound like something is up with the USB port. It sounds like you are not running an ATT rom (just from your talk of talking flashing a stock rom). Did you do a nandroid backup from before installing the custom rom? if so, you _might_ be able to restore using that but it will not restore the radio, if you changed it. So it may or may not work. Also if your USB is having problems and you did get it wet, ATT may still not fix it (unless you bought the extra insurance).

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

never mind, didnt read your last post sorry..

Last edited:

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

That's download mode that you're getting. No idea why it would do that automatically without you specifically turning it on.

Are you by chance using CWM? If so, perhaps you can do a restore from a backup if you have one?

Or perhaps do a factory reset from the stock recovery?

I'm kinda throwing darts here. You may indeed have a blown USB port.

akcrimson

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site

No I never flashed any ROMS, period. Stock or otherwise. I rooted it a couple months back and life got so busy I never got the time to do some research and pick one out.

The phone is now working fine, but my computer won't recognize the USB drive. I've read up on that issue some but I am yet unsure of what the actual problem is since I am having multiple and seemingly unrelated symptoms?

I didn't get the phone on an upgrade I bought it full price so there is no AT&T warranty anyway...

It just doesn't make sense why it will charge and not recognize the drive, what causes this?

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

Just out of curiosity.. have you tried another computer? I don't think USB is damaged if it is still charging..

akcrimson

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site

Yes I've tried a few different cords, and two PCs. Same thing. It will charge but I cannot connect to a PC.

I've tried installing a couple different drivers, no go. Today it flipped and shut down then turned on in Odins download mode again. After like 20 minutes it finally turned back on after being plugged in.

is there a way to wipe and flash without connecting to a PC?

I am totally lost here.

Oh and I don't think it's water damage, the sensor is still white?

Last edited:

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Where did you get this phone from? EBay? Was it a long time ago? Can you contact the seller and tell him/her that the phone has been tempered with and about USB too and ask to send it back to him for refund? Because technically you could send it to Samsung for repair but if it has a custom rom then the warranty is void and your only choice would be to contact the original seller. If the water damage indicator is white then there is obviously no water damage so you don't have to worry about that part...

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure you've done this, but...

Before connecting the device to the computer, you're turning on the USB mode on the device, right? Then connecting it, and on the phone selecting 'connect to USB'?

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure you've done this, but...

Before connecting the device to the computer, you're turning on the USB mode on the device, right? Then connecting it, and on the phone selecting 'connect to USB'?
I thought about that too... but if Odin cannot see the device either then this must be something wrong with the USB connector...

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
akcrimson perhaps you can download and install the USB drivers for the skyrocket manually, directly from the Samsung web page and then see if you can connect your phone to your pc again... it could be worth a try...

akcrimson

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Okay so I have installed/uninstalled a couple different drivers, a tmobile one and the samsung official one. I've tried two computers and 4 usb cables. No avail.

ONE time it said usb drivers installed, right after I reinstalled the Samsung official ones. So I shut down the phone so I could go into Odin download to try to get cwm on my phone. That was about 2 hours ago and I cannot get it to connect to the PC anymore.

Is there no way to get CWM onto Rom Manager ota? It's the only other thing I can think of to do. I thought maybe if I did a wipe and flashed a rom that might make the usb drivers work?

It's not a huge deal if I can't connect to my PC, but the fact that it keeps wigging out randomly and shutting off makes me nervous. I'd really like to get cwm on there, if only because I can't think of what else to do.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Well sorry to hear that... the only way I know of is to flash CWM via Odin.. that is at least what I was always doing it via Odin
Also, have you tried to contact the seller?

Last edited:

akcrimson

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Well sorry to hear that... the only way I know of is to flash CWM via Odin.. that is at least what I was always doing it via Odin
Also, have you tried to contact the seller?

I did and I haven't heard back yet...not hopeful there.

i tried the link you provided and it just says sorry your rom does not support this feature =S

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I did and I haven't heard back yet...not hopeful there.

i tried the link you provided and it just says sorry your rom does not support this feature =S
Yea sorry it was a wrong link it works only wit zte phones. I think Rom manager is what you really need... let me look it up

akcrimson

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
I have ROM Manager but I need Clockwork Recovery and i can't get it unless i can connect to PC (as far as I know)

Edit - i am gonna look into clockworkmod touch but I don't see how it will fix my usb issue even if I can get a new rom on there.

Last edited:

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
ClockworkMod Recovery - XDA-Developers
you can Find the cwm recovery in zip format and put it on microsd card from your pc...
edit:
i think method 1A would be preferable for you... also, for the broken usb you may try a third party repair shop idk how much that will cost thought

Last edited:

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
this phone should have a manufacturer's warranty, so technically you should be able to get it fixed (or replaced ) by samsung. when I was experimenting with my phone i accidentially chose "phone" instead of "pda" in odin program and that completely bricked my phone beyond repair. it wouldnt even turn on... so i called ATT and said, idk what happed but my phone just died on me. and they shipped me an exchange with no problems... I think that if you could brick your phone somehow so that it wont start and then send it to samsung they'd probably do the same thing.. I'd give samsung a call first.. and check if they have the IMEI number for your device in their database and ask about warranty... I know that sounds crazy but at least it worked for me.. with ATT warranty.. perhaps you can call ATT and see if you can get their warranty for your phone then wait a bit maybe like one - two weeks, and then send it to them for a refurbd exchange..

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2