anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Today is the FIRST time I've ever tried Kies, and I have to say, I'm rather impressed...

It is not quite iTunes, but does a similar job. I mainly wanted my playlist from iTunes to sync, and save the 'settings' for my Skyrocket. And Kies seems to do just that.

I've not bothered to backup Contacts, Calendar, Email etc. since that is all already saved in GMail ;)

Anyone else use Kies?

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Use it quite a bit, and feel like you, it's pretty good. Seems stable and does the job wirelessly. I don't really use it for backup too much, as I use Google for that, but I probably will do it as I just got a new laptop, and have more space to do it on. I do use it to transfer podcasts off my laptop and it works really well. Put a lot of you tubes on my phone with it also.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Doh!! Sorry as a noob I have no clue what Kies is nor how it works.. Is it an app, cloud storage like Dropbox or? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Oh sorry JT, Kies is a Samsung app that allows you to sync with your computer wirelessly. It is browser based and is easy to use and works well. It basically is a transfer utility that allows you to transfer files between your phone and computer without a USB cable using your wireless network at home or wherever.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Sweet! Thanks SRTeer.. I see it in the Google store called Kies Air.. very nice.

Am eagerly awaiting to learn when ATT will release the GS3. My plan is to get a SR and learn Andriod and Touch Wiz with the goal of returning during the 30 days and getting the GS3. However, I guess there's a chance I may really like the SR and be good with it too ;)

Also found Butterscotch.com, a cool site that has tons of Android tutorials and others which is really nice.. A buddy of mine got a SR a few weeks ago and really seems to like it. Of course anything that's more contemporary than my funky old iP3G is going to be awesome. Can't wait to get totally dialed in on Android though.. Thanks again.

Reactions: skyrocketeer

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Whatever Sammy you end up with, you will be happy...these guys produce great devices...I have to give them that...they make great tv's...great memory chips...(Apple uses Samsung RAM for a reason...say what you want Apple makes a stable box). I have Samsung ram running in my laptop and can't seem to get it to crash no matter what I throw at it....SkyRocket is rung out and mature...probably in a stable state for you JT...Galaxy 3...well it will need some tweaks I am sure...that said I want both of them...

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Well now that the US carriers have announced the GS3, am going to wait until the ATT stores have them on display where I can compare it with the SR, Note and One X in person. I also found out that if I get an SR from Amazon and then decide to get the GS3 during the 30 days, I can't exchange for the GS3 through them, but have to get it from ATT instead, which sucks. So I'll wait to make the decision when I can physically compare them in person.

Since this will be my first Andriod phone, I want to do it right. It almost sounds like you're recommending I go with the Skyrocket in some ways. Regardless, it will be fun to compare them in person at the ATT store soon!

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Well i recommend you go with Samsung...that said I feel if you go with the SR you at least know what you are getting as it is pretty stable and well-documented at this point. May not be that way as much with the Galaxy 3...but hey if I was you I would probably go with the Galaxy 3 as it has a lot of technology improvements over the SR. most important ones to me are bigger screen and quad core processor...definitely nice to have going forward. if you go with the Rocket as my recent posts on the LTE performance may show...it can hang with the big dogs.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Well the Rocket has always been an LTE phone, so why wouldn't it hang with the big dogs? We've had LTE here in the SF area for quite a while though it's not consistent yet. I also want to get my phone from Amazon to avoid the outrageous taxes and other BS we have to pay here in CA, not to mention a better price.

I'm going to be curious to see if the .3" screen size difference and HD Super AMOLED screen on the GS3 is that huge of a difference from the Rocket, though evidently the GS3 has some settings where you can change color saturation etc, which I don't think the SR has, right? The cool thing with the GS3 is that the screen is only a half inch smaller than the Note! An iPhone will look like a toy next to the GS3, especially if the rumor that the iP5 is going to have a 3.9" screen!

Thomaskaw

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Import play list from ITunes

I tried to import a play list form ITunes by "Import play List from ITuns to Library" option and do not function. Please help!!

JerseyJet

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Oh sorry JT, Kies is a Samsung app that allows you to sync with your computer wirelessly. It is browser based and is easy to use and works well. It basically is a transfer utility that allows you to transfer files between your phone and computer without a USB cable using your wireless network at home or wherever.

Can you use it to sync an SR with a Mac ??

stkit

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
When you say you like Kies - do you mean Kies installed on your computer or using "Kies Air"? (Or am I wrong that there is a difference between the two?)

I generally like Kies Air - I've never hooked my SR up to my computer with a cord.
But, I've only used Kies Air to transfer photos from my SR to my computer.

One complaint: I couldn't find away to select multiple photos at once (e.g holding shift and click to select a range) - instead I had to click each individually which got kind of annoying. Anyone know a way to select multiple items such as photos in Kies Air or am I really stuck clicking each individually?

And/Or... is there some function that I'm missing where it knows which photos I've backed up already and I can just do some sort of one button click?

dwain77

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Well i recommend you go with Samsung...that said I feel if you go with the SR you at least know what you are getting as it is pretty stable and well-documented at this point. May not be that way as much with the Galaxy 3...but hey if I was you I would probably go with the Galaxy 3 as it has a lot of technology improvements over the SR. most important ones to me are bigger screen and quad core processor...definitely nice to have going forward. if you go with the Rocket as my recent posts on the LTE performance may show...it can hang with the big dogs.

The AT&T S3 is dual core, btw.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

bap2510

May 3, 2012
Visit site
When I connect to Kies it says Device not supported for software updates with Kies. I'm not sure what that means. Will I be able to update in the future using Kies or do I have to use OTA? Is there something I can do to work around this? Sorry for the Newbie question. I've looked around for a solution with no luck. I'm using a MAC.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
OK.. a bunch of questions about Kies. I installed it (took 2 tries) on my older laptop running WinXP SP3 which is the system I have iTunes installed on for syncing my ancient iPhone. If I understand correctly, Kies is supposed to be able to import the music etc. from iTunes and then transfer it to the Andriod phone, correct? So if you add the Kies Air app to the phone, then you can sync wireless?

When I open Kies on the laptop, and click on the Music tab to import music, it opens the window to select where I wish to import from. Using the drop down to select the source, I am picking the C drive but there's no Programs selection so I can select iTunes. If I select Desktop from the drop down, it doesn't show the iTunes either (I have a short cut on the desktop). So I can't figure out how to import the iTunes content making the Kies program useless.. Any ideas?

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
OK.. a bunch of questions about Kies. I installed it (took 2 tries) on my older laptop running WinXP SP3 which is the system I have iTunes installed on for syncing my ancient iPhone. If I understand correctly, Kies is supposed to be able to import the music etc. from iTunes and then transfer it to the Andriod phone, correct? So if you add the Kies Air app to the phone, then you can sync wireless?

When I open Kies on the laptop, and click on the Music tab to import music, it opens the window to select where I wish to import from. Using the drop down to select the source, I am picking the C drive but there's no Programs selection so I can select iTunes. If I select Desktop from the drop down, it doesn't show the iTunes either (I have a short cut on the desktop). So I can't figure out how to import the iTunes content making the Kies program useless.. Any ideas?

Pretty sure the musis is stored in your documents. iTunes has a folder in the music folder.
Import from there, not the program.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Lazrocketarm.. thanks.. I looked in the My Documents folder and found the My Music and then ITunes.. What really sucks is that in order to import tunes from the iTunes folder you have to do it ONE AT A TIME.. UGH! So lame. Am going to give Google Play Music Manager another shot since the first time I tried, it wouldn't import all the music from iTunes.. I sure hope the other syncing with an Android phone isn't this challenging. Glad I've used Gmail for contacts for ages, so at least my contacts will sync up right away. Would like to be able to transfer my ringtones from iTunes also. Any ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance